Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Central Sensitization May Occur in CH (Read 1390 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Central Sensitization May Occur in CH
May 25th, 2019 at 4:44pm

Another journal article - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

A snippet is:

Quote:
Individuals with vs without cluster headache were found to have lower cranial and extracranial pressure pain thresholds (PPTs), indicating central sensitization, according to a study published in Pain Medicine.

This is based on an article in the Pain Medicine journal - Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
z070/5432232?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Overall this suggests that for their pilot study (20 with CH, 16 controls), that people with CH have lower pain thresholds, plus other impacts.

This surprised me at first as I'm sure that my pain threshold is a lot higher than it was pre-CH plus have surprised a few medical professionals with my ability to handle pain. I've also seen some similar comments posted here from others.

However there is likely to be a significant difference between those with well managed and controlled CH to those who are not in control of their CH. It may be that this group dominates the 20 people with CH in the study.

It is good to see another journal article calling for "...the importance of a multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of patients with CH". The more articles like this the better so that more neurologists and other doctors learn more about CH.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2019 at 3:05am by Mike NZ »  

IP Logged

jon019
CH.com Alumnus

"Ya gotta believe!"

USA
Re: Central Sensitization May Occur in CH
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2019 at 6:58pm

…..thank you for sharing these Mike....always interesting...

…..one man's opinion: the cohort too tiny and the conclusion laughably wrong for the rest of us...I've had doctors leave a room shaking their head re my pain tolerance for almost 40 yrs...more than a few reports of same/similar from others here for half of those.. (yup, anecdotal he smiles...…)

…..totally agree the simple presence of research like this is encouraging.....too bad there really is not a recognized entity (like batch's vit d survey)  that let's them know what the "community" thinks....

The LARGE print giveth....and the small print taketh away.    Tom Waits

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Central Sensitization May Occur in CH
Reply #2 - May 26th, 2019 at 5:40am

So many women tell me that childbirth is the most painful condition known to mankind yet our lady CHeads put it at only 3 or perhaps 4 on our Kip scale.

This causes me to wonder about the parameters and base points of the study.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!