Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Just how painful is CH compared to childbirth? (Read 2195 times)
Mike NZ
CH.com Hall of Famer

Oxygen rocks! D3 too!

Auckland, New Zealand
Just how painful is CH compared to childbirth?
Jul 25th, 2019 at 2:39am

61st Annual Scientific Meeting American Headache Society
July 11 ‐14 2019 Pennsylvania Convention Center Philadelphia, PA

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Quote:
Cluster Headache Is One of the Most Painful Human Conditions: Epidemiology of Cluster Headache and Probable Cluster Headache from a Large International Sample

Search for "P47" and you'll read of an interesting report on just how painful CH is, based on a medical survey of almost 3000 people with CH.

Read the full article online using the link above, but the key part is:

Quote:
A total of 97% (1563/1604) had never experienced anything more painful than a cluster attack, with an average intensity of 9.7±0.6 on a 1‐10 scale compared to the next highest pains of childbirth (7.2±2, n=308), pancreatitis (7.0±1.5, n=30), and kidney stone (6.9±1.9, n=239).

That is quite a significant difference between CH and childbirth.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: Just how painful is CH compared to childbirth?
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2019 at 12:41am

Defining pain and trying to equate the pain levels of various conditions must be terrifically difficult because people can only relate to the worst pain they've experienced personally.

Many of our ladies here have commented that the worst childbirth is around a Kip4 but then they're only having a few babies in a lifetime rather than going through it every day,  twice a day for months and months on end,  so the cumulative effect of pain must also be considered.

(When people say to me that childbirth is the most painful condition known to mankind I suggest there are things much worse but if that's the most pain they've ever experienced then I'm thrilled to hear it and hope it never changes.)

When it comes to quantifying pain I think our Kip Scale is really very good and I'd be interested to see it offered to those unfortunate enough to be suffering serious pain from other conditions to see how they rate pain levels.

Not sure many would be ticking the K10 box but it would make for an interesting study.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Kim Dismuke
CH.com Newbie

Oklahoma City
Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 12:33pm

[size=14][/size]

I would go through childbirth every year (no meds)
If it would mean no cluster headaches.

Not even a comparison. 🙄

Kim

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 2nd, 2019 at 9:23pm

Although they are really two different kinds of pain, on a 1-10 scale, natural childbirth was a 6 compared to a few CH 10’s I have experienced. Nothing quite like a 10 CH. It remains in the memory quite vividly compared to childbirth. Brian really captured it in a poem.  Smiley

IP Logged

dehabel
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 10:15pm

I have had three babies - all natural, the first one being very difficult.  Clusters are a million times worse and you do not get a beautiful gift at the end.

IP Logged

dehabel
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2020 at 10:15pm

I have had three babies - all natural, the first one being very difficult.  Clusters are a million times worse and you do not get a beautiful gift at the end.

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #6 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 7:30am

All the years I wrestled with this monster and that's the loverliest description I've ever heard of our shared pain.

Thanks, Dehabel, and welcome aboard.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!