Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ocular/Retinal Migraine? (Read 1120 times)
Joshua
CH.com Alumnus

x0|New York|USA||0|0|NY,New_York
Ocular/Retinal Migraine?
Mar 8th, 2020 at 10:34am

Hi All,

I’m a CH’er for the last ~25 years. Currently off-cycle and not taking meds for about 8 months, which is great!

So it’s Sunday morning and I’m practicing the piano and all of a sudden, across my left eye, I notice a kind of zig zaggy, black and white line across my field of vision.  It is there even with my eye closed. It is just the one eye. No pain.

So I Google “Zig zag line across vision” and sure enough, there’s something called an ocular or visual migraine/aura that may present with or without the accompanying migraine pain.

It’s hard to know from just Google if this was a retinal migraine, ocular migraine or visual migraine - lots of overlapping symptoms. I didn’t have a focal blind spot though, just the zig zag lines.

It lasted about 30 minutes.

This has never happened to me before, so just wondering if any other CH’ers have had this come on?

Joshua
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2020 at 7:38am by Joshua »  

IP Logged

pattik
CH.com Alumnus

Wisconsin, USA
Re: Ocular/Retinal Migraine?
Reply #1 - Mar 8th, 2020 at 11:31am

Hi Joshua. Sorry you’re dealing with this. What you experienced sounds almost identical to my symptoms. I had migraine with “aura”, mostly in my 20’s. The headaches stopped just before the clusters started  Shocked, but I will still experience 10-12 ocular migraines/year. At least, that’s what I call them. I usually have to stop what I’m doing for 30 minutes or so. A lot of people on this forum have mentioned having multiple headache types. Glad to hear the CH has subsided though.

Take care,
Patti

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2020 at 12:30am

I've lived with this sort of thing for years,  and never worried much about it,  but this gave me the push to actually go looking for what it may be. 

Certainly it falls within the parameters of the migraine mentioned but it would break my heart to learn I now have a third type of headache.

I'm gunna to stop looking.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

zasso
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 6:56am

If my migraine starts it usually last for 2-3 days. Only triptans help me to reduce the pain. Lately I tried to be more active and seems that it help.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 8:09am

My episodic ch quit 15 years ago, around my mid 50's.  The last couple of years I get occasional ocular migraines without any pain.  Just the pulsing zig-zag line.  Like you say, 30 minutes and I'm back to normal.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!