Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
No Sumatriptan while taking Prednisone? New? (Read 268 times)
1MoreHeadCase
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

No Sumatriptan while taking Prednisone? New?
Jul 29th, 2023 at 10:04am

Hello, I'm seeing a neuro nurse for my CH and when my cycle recently started [after a glorious two years off] I asked for my usual renewal of a sumatriptan script and a prednisone blast prescription. New this time, she made me promise not to take any sumatriptan while I was taking prednisone ... else she wouldn't prescribe the prednisone ... that was a new one on me as I've combined the two for almost 20 years now. Not taking any sumatriptan early in the blast is easy, one is not having any clusters anyway, but towards the end of the blast when the beast inevitably returns, I need to take a third (33mg) of a sumatriptan to get a break. Oxygen is of course my number one abortive and it works great most of the time. Anyway, I've looked but can't find any contraindication for sumatriptan and prednisone and am wondering if this is something new I don't know about? My first reaction was my neuro was going cuckoo, when I asked her reason she said to avoid rebound headaches. I know about rebound headaches and they're not usually caused by taking a standard amount of any triptan while on prednisone. Am I late in learning of this rebound causing combination or is this information bogus as I suspect?  Huh

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: No Sumatriptan while taking Prednisone? New?
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2023 at 8:18pm

G'day and welcome aboard.

I'm certainly no expert on medications but my time here has always shown prednisone is used as a downward taper while another anti-inflammatory like verapomil builds up far enough in the body to be effective.

Never heard of sumatripan being banned while that's happening but perhaps the nurse knows something I don't.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2023 at 8:52pm

I was cautioned once by a doctor to take care when combining prednisone and triptans as they can both increase blood pressure.  Note:  I had high blood pressure at the time.  Not sure if it is a concern when one's BP is normal.

IP Logged

1MoreHeadCase
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2023 at 11:51am

Thank you AussieBrian and Traveller, I appreciate your feedback. I know prednisone and triptans can increase BP, and I do have high BP that I routinely treat ... normally with verapamil. I just double my dose from 240mg a day to 480mg a day when in cycle. But my nurse's concern was rebound headaches, which I am still dubious about.

IP Logged

Traveller
CH.com Veteran

Tampa, FL
Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2023 at 11:57am

One of the great problems we CHers face is the paucity of available medical data about our condition.  This void gets filled with reports of personal experiences, rumors, bias, and speculation.  I have seen regular reporting from folks about rebound headaches, and I am sure they exist for some, but I can't say for certain that I ever had them --and I used triptans almost daily for well over a year.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!