Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:03am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Gluten free worth a try by more sufferers? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Gluten free worth a try by more sufferers?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Gluten free worth a try by more sufferers?  (Read 10965 times)
Portland_kait
New Board Newbie
USA 

Gluten free worth a try by more sufferers?
« on: Apr 13th, 2008, 4:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Have many people tried removing gluten from their diet  to help out on the headaches or adding magnesium?
 I read the blog from back in Feb. from  a guy and he said he was CLUSTER FREE for 2 YEARS! I can't believe I haven't heard more about this. I am surprised now that I didn't see something about removing gluten like this on the survey.

I am plain tired of taking Topamax and it's dumbing, numbing affects.  
I would like to to be more proactive and I can't get O2.

There seems to be a wealth of information on the web suggesting that people sensitive to gluten and removing from their diet get big headache relief, more energy and less depression.  

What do you think?

IP Logged

even on the poo the dew falls
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Gluten free worth a try by more sufferers?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 5:05pm »

I've heard of some people using magnesium, but not eliminating gluten.

Why don't you give it a shot, and let us know of the results?
IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
New Board Veteran

Greetings from outer space

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 6:37pm »

Gluten is a essential part of the proteins in grass-related seeds, like wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice.

About 0.5 - 1% of the population is sensitive to gluten, displaying an abnormal immune reaction.

For this minority gluten-free foods are available.
But the greedy fuckers of manufacturers try to sell their stuff as something "good for everybody".  
(This is akin to replacing the real stuff by synthetic strawberries, at a tenfold higher price, just because some people are allergic to strawberries.)

Not in my wildest dreams could I construe a connection between CH and gluten.

smokin

IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods and hates snake oil vendors.

Portland_kait
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 7:39pm »

My gluten diet starts after I finish my last "everything" bagel in the fridge.
 Yum!

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 7:56pm »

on Apr 13th, 2008, 4:07pm, Portland_kait wrote:
I read the blog from back in Feb. from  a guy and he said he was CLUSTER FREE for 2 YEARS! I can't believe I haven't heard more about this.

What do you think?

Have you ever heard the term "coincidence?"

This was one guy.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 8:03pm »

good luck.

why can't you get O2?

IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 9:25pm »

How can you a person tell if they are sensitive to gluten?
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13th, 2008, 9:33pm »

My mother in law has coeliac disease and her whole family has been eating gluten free food for years since that is the only thing she cooks.

As the result, my husband has been on gluten free diet since he was 9. He still developed CH at 30. So if a gluten free diet for 21 years didnt help him avoiding CH, I dont see how a short stint of it would eliminate CH in anyone.  

More likely to be coincidental.

However, there is no harm in going on a gluten free diet except the taste is pretty bland and the choice of food is rather restricted, I guess anyone wanting to give it a try can certainly do so.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 10:34am »

This is a constant problem in figuring out triggers, cause and effect, etc with CH. I've had 2 year breaks between cycles, and still haven't figured out what caused it. If I start seeing a lot of people posting that a gluten free diet stops or even substantially reduces attacks, I'll certainly give it a shot! Wink

As for the magnesium, there seems to be a lot of people on the board, myself included, who have noticed benefits from taking a regular magnesium supplement. I've noticed a substantial decrease in number and intensity of attacks since starting a daily Magnesium, calcium, Vitamin B-2 suppplement regimen. Certainly worth a shot. Good luck with which ever way you go.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 6:58pm »

on Apr 13th, 2008, 6:37pm, AlienSpaceGuy wrote:
Gluten is a essential part of the proteins in grass-related seeds, like wheat, rye, barley, corn, rice.

About 0.5 - 1% of the population is sensitive to gluten, displaying an abnormal immune reaction.

For this minority gluten-free foods are available.
But the greedy fuckers of manufacturers try to sell their stuff as something "good for everybody".  
(This is akin to replacing the real stuff by synthetic strawberries, at a tenfold higher price, just because some people are allergic to strawberries.)

Not in my wildest dreams could I construe a connection between CH and gluten.

There are plenty of established connections between gluten and migraine. Maybe some of these apply to other neurovascular headaches like CH?

Here are some of the neurological manifestations of classical celiacs disease (migraine is mentioned): http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15825133

In another study, 4 of 90 of chronic migraine patients were sensitive to gluten.  This is 4x to 8x higher than the accepted rate for the general population, and these patients were improved after 6 months of a gluten free diet. The chronic inflammation in these patients made their blood-brain barrier leaky, which probably is not good for neurological conditions - the amount of tracer chemical crossing into the brain went down when gluten was removed from the diet.  
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12650798

I don't think that gluten is a driving force behind most people's CH or migraine, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that the rate of gluten intolerance is higher in cluster heads, or that some people benefited from eliminating wheat and barley and rye.  Rice and maize corn do not have gliaden, the 'gluten' that causes celiac.
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2008, 8:10pm by monty » IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 8:25pm »

on Apr 14th, 2008, 6:58pm, monty wrote:

There are plenty of established connections between gluten and migraine. Maybe some of these apply to other neurovascular headaches like CH?

Migraines have a ton of food triggers. Here's a few:

peanuts and peanut butter  
caffeine in all products, not just coffee
dairy products
yeast
some beans (which includes peanut), as well as broad, lima, Italian, lentil, soy, peas
avocados
dried meats
sauerkraut
pickled herrings
canned soups and packet soup mixes
chicken livers
ripe banana
soya products as well as the bean itself
sodium nitrate, which is used to preserve hot dogs, bacon and cured meats
the preservative benzoic acid and its associated compounds
MSG, common name for monosodium glutamate, a flavor enhancer which is now in almost universal use in almost all processed foods
nuts
sourdough breads
cheeses which have been aged, i.e. cheddar
chocolate
anchovies

None are known to trigger CH.  
« Last Edit: Apr 14th, 2008, 8:25pm by CostaRicaKris » IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Apr 14th, 2008, 10:33pm »

Nitrates and nitrates have been commonly named here as triggers. So has MSG. Some have named fermented foods and cheeses. It's not universal, but some people swear that these reliably bring on a strong hit.  The research on diet and CH is very slim, and the idea that foods do not trigger is an opinion.    

Celiac is different from the average food sensitivity in several ways. It lowers tryptophan, which lowers serotonin and melatonin levels.   It involves the long term immune activation that destroys the gut and often impairs the blood brain barrier. The changes from celiac occur over a relatively slow period, and do not clear up quickly.  A person with this disease who eats wheat products daily (and who in the west doesn't?) typically can't relate any meal with symptoms - it is a near constant barrage on the system and a constant pathological condition.  

As far as the beans and sauerkraut and aged cheese goes, these are believed to trigger neurovascular headaches due to tyramine and other amines.  People with clusters already have high levels of these:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15159465
I would not be surprised if some clusterheads may be resistant to the effects, but others might get pushed over the threshold needed to trigger if they eat foods rich in these.  

>> Recent studies have suggested that abnormalities of dopamine and trace amines (tyramine, octopamine, and synephrine), products of tyrosine metabolism, may constitute the metabolic events that predispose to the occurrence of cluster headache (CH) and migraine attacks. This hypothesis is supported by the following evidences: the discovery of trace amine associated receptors (TAARs), expressed on the olfactory epithelium, amigdala, hypothalamus, periacqueductal gray, and the biochemical anomalies of dopamine and trace amines. The possible effects of these biochemical abnormalities on TAARs and dopamine receptors, located in different areas of CNS, may explain the behaviour (restlessness, anxiety and, at times, hypersexuality) and the autonomic signs during the painful attacks of CH, and the premonitory symptoms of migraine crisis (thirst, craving, yawning, alteration of smell, depression etc.).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17508188

If this is true, pumping foods rich in tyrosine or tyramine into the body might not be a good thing.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Portland_kait
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 5:38pm »

Wow! What a lot of information.
 This board is the best! I guess it is going to take much much much research before they get to the bottom of the mystery of the cluster headache.

I can't get O2 because my insurance won't cover it.  I am trying to figure something out.  
 My dr. just gave me a prescription for 800 ibuprofen for when I start shadowing with also vepramil.  I take Imitrex in pill form and Migrainal up the nose they don't do a whole lot. I don't imagine the 800 ibuprofen will do much but hells I'll try it when I am shadowing. Usually I run for the Imitrex then.

I just had a kip scale 10 on april 1st had to go to the ER(hell). My dr. and I are going to fill out that form on the OUCH website and maybe next time they won't keep me waiting 3 1/2 hours till I am turned into something like a tortured wailing beast.
 Thanks for all your help and kind advice!
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #13 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 5:48pm »

on Apr 16th, 2008, 5:38pm, Portland_kait wrote:
I can't get O2 because my insurance won't cover it.

Yes, you can. Welder's O2 is the same thing. You might have to buy some equipment on e-bay.

Quote:
My dr. just gave me a prescription for 800 ibuprofen for when I start shadowing with also vepramil.

Good luck with that. If you have CH, ibuprofen won't help, and if you take enough of it, it'll eat your stomach lining. Rx strength ibuprofen (800mg) is the same as taking 4 over the counter (200mg).
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #14 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 11:00pm »

There are some studies that show autism can be improved with a gluten free diet. CH and autism are both nuerological. Yeah I'm grabbing at straws but it's somewhat similar. Take it for what it's worth. I have seen a few of my autisitc students improve with a gluten free diet.

Charlotte
IP Logged
Trooper
New Board Junior
USA 

I ain't skeert!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 8:06pm »

I have to second what Brew Crew said!  

Get you a script for some Imitrex. Don't even bother with the pills or nasal spray, ask for the vial dose! Also, You do not need a script for O2 if you go to the welders supply. You can also go on line and buy the parts for your own clustermask. It sounds a hell of alot more complicated than it really is!

I suffered NEEDLESSLY for soooo many years with poor treatment methods. It was like trying to kill a bear with a pea shooter. Get yourself a double barrel shotgun and and kill the dang beast!
IP Logged
avmoore
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 10:50pm »

I noticed that I have to go gluten free when I'm in a cycle.  It reduces the # of hits for me.  

Once I'm out of cycle, I can eat gluten again.
 (Fellow Bagel Lover)

Anything that calms our autonomic nervous system from reacting like an allergy is a good thing.

Try it!  I belive it will help you.

Andi
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 12:59am »

on Apr 16th, 2008, 11:00pm, cash5542 wrote:
There are some studies that show autism can be improved with a gluten free diet. CH and autism are both nuerological. Yeah I'm grabbing at straws but it's somewhat similar. Take it for what it's worth. I have seen a few of my autisitc students improve with a gluten free diet.

Charlotte

HIJACK AND MISINFORMATION!.....

That's my piece....

hugs and good luck with your search for PF times
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss