Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 18th, 2024, 7:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cold water »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cold water
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cold water  (Read 3356 times)
warnberh
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Cold water
« on: Apr 17th, 2008, 4:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry if I'm a re-iterating an old post here (I'm new) but since I TRY to stay away from drugs most of the time (still take them though), I have always been on the look out for more practical measures to help CH pain...

This one isn't glamorous, but it helps me, maybe you can get some use out of it.

When I am in the middle of a bad one, I take some ridiculously cold water (out of a pitcher in the fridge will do) and I hold it in my mouth on the side of the headache, forcing towards my top teeth.  I keep doing this for about 30 minutes and it has a numbing effect.

It doesn't make it go away, but it helps a little, and plus, the whole time you do this, you get to hydrate, which doesn't hurt.  Also, the routine of it is distracting, which helps too.

Anyway, here's hoping that helps someone.
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: Cold water
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 5:50pm »

Welcome to the board.

We all do whatever works during the dance.  My personal favorite is to pour water on the concrete floor in the basement and try to drive my eye into the bedrock under it.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 6:19pm »

warnberh,

That has been posted before, but it was years ago.....thanks for posting it again for the new folks that may find some help with it.

Echo,

I thought I told you to knock the floor thing off, your just going to damage the damn floor...LOL  Kiss
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 6:27pm »

I used to do the same thing with crushed ice. I'd force it against the soft palate area on the roof of my mouth, on the side that hurt. It seemed to help a lot. Would reduce it by as many as 2-3 clicks on the pain scale.

Now a days I kill them in 10 minutes with oxygen. My little green tank and I are inseperable in cycle. Take care.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
warnberh
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 6:43pm »

I REALLY need to get an oxygen tank.....and a diving board for my basement.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 6:50pm »

on Apr 17th, 2008, 6:43pm, warnberh wrote:
I REALLY need to get an oxygen tank.....and a diving board for my basement.

Let me know if the doc wont give you 02, Ill sneak you in the back door and show you how to get it on your own!  

Oh, forget about the diving board, Echo has lost all his teeth trying that over the years....it never works....LOL  Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 7:57pm »

I've put ice cubes in my mouth too like guiseppe and held them there to numb it- does seem to help some-  Sometimes just doing something while waiting for the abortives to kick in or the HA to go away rather than jumping around or pacing holding my head, feels proactive and like i am more in control

Thanks for posting- I am sure it will help others too!
IP Logged
KatzPurr
New Board Newbie
USA 

10+ OUCH!

16090505 16090505     KatzPurr2

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 10:00pm »

Is glad she has O2 and her basement floor is now carpeted.  Tongue
IP Logged

KatzPurr's Purrrrrrr Palace
http://www.myspace.com/jlabax
wanna_swap_brains
New Board Junior
England 

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 2:46am »

hi,wet the side of your head with cold water,then use an ice pack to kinda massage it,seems better than just  an ice pack.stuart    oh i only found this coz one of my brilliantly made ice packs(by me)leaked all over me.
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 2:19pm »

on Apr 17th, 2008, 6:50pm, Jonny wrote:

Oh, forget about the diving board, Echo has lost all his teeth trying that over the years....it never works....LOL  Wink

But I'm going to keep trying.

I laminated by testicles to the carpet but that didn't work either -- did have a great shine to them though.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 9:17pm »

Warnberth,

ANYTHING that works as a vasoconstrictor in the head will have a beneficial effect on a cluster headache attack.  The body senses cold in the head either by cold water or ice in the mouth, ice on top of or around the head as a potential case of hypothermia.  That triggers the body's defense mechanisms to keep the core (gut) temperature in the safe range.  The normal response to make this happen is to constrict the arteries, capillaries, and veins in the extremities including the head... (not needed when it gets too cold out side) to stop the loss of body heat and keep the core temperature in the safe zone.

The net result is the inner branch of the carotid artery that wraps around the trigeminal nerve also constricts as it would if you took imitrex or used a high flow oxygen therapy.  All this is part of the abortive mechanism that helps to end the pain of a cluster headache attack.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 11:40pm »

ice cold showers work great early in cycle for me
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss