Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:49am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Finally a little bit better day....there's hope! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Finally a little bit better day....there's hope!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Finally a little bit better day....there's hope!  (Read 1176 times)
MinxKittten
New Board Newbie
USA 

Supporter

Finally a little bit better day....there's hope!
« on: Apr 26th, 2008, 1:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well after a particularly bad cylce for my hubby rick,  maybe we're finally turning the corner.

Since starting the topomax a few weeks ago he was still at 3-5 HA a day.  but the pain level was much better than the k10 splitters he was getting before that.

yesterday and today even better...only one minor today so far!!  We added a MAJOR  taurine supplement today after i read that it helps with digestion.  its a form of bile that helps break down foods and absorb them into the small intestine.    

as you may know from my Food Triggers post,  the act of EATING has been bringing on major HA for rick.

today he ate and took the taurine right after and only a very MINOR HA an hour after instead of the normal splitter after eating.

its probably a combination of things:

-still on 240 verapimil (no he doesn't want to increase)
-2 topamax per day now too
-trying to drink ALOT more water,  no more crystal lite (nutra sweet)
-added ISOPURE pure protein drinks, no fat no sugar, 40g of pure protein when he gets tired and hungry
-cut tomatoes and processed meats and vinagar based dressings out of his diet
-found ranch dressing with no msg
-added magnesium suplements back (which he's tried before, w/o much success.
-added the TAURINE today 1000 mg after eating, then this evening after eating toast he started shadowing and took another taurine and felt better.  

-he's not really into the O2.

oh and on top of all that,  we had a very nice day.
went to the beach, went skating, took spike (our chihuahua) to dog beach, had a nice lunch,  played bacgammon on our patio next to the koi pond, and watched a movie.

ahhhh.....please send us good vibes that we may keep up this good progress at keeping the beast at bay.  we need your positive energy. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: Finally a little bit better day....there's hop
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 2:08am »

Hope, darlin'.  There's always hope.  We thrive on it here and do dances after every Cmate beats the beast again.  

It's posts like yours that give us all hope, so keep 'em coming.

We need this as much as you do, and I thank you.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 11:19pm »

very happy the two of you had a good day.  Its amazing how people take those things for granted.  We treasure them.   I am a stubborn guy myself and I may be crossing the line asking these questions.  Why will he not up his verapamil?  Does he experience some sort of side effects?  Why is he not into o2?  What does he use as an abortive?  I'll tell you this is my first cyle using o2 and I do not know why i didnt use it before.  It is a life saver.  yes, its a pain in the ass and it is a commitment but 100% worth it.    

Quality of life goes through the roof with o2.  With imitrex, you have to decide which headache you are going to treat and which you have to ride out. Not with o2, just use it everytime you think its coming.  There's my 2 cents.  I won't judge any further
IP Logged
MinxKittten
New Board Newbie
USA 

Supporter

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 12:00am »

on Apr 26th, 2008, 11:19pm, kevmd wrote:
very happy the two of you had a good day.  Its amazing how people take those things for granted.  We treasure them.   I am a stubborn guy myself and I may be crossing the line asking these questions.  Why will he not up his verapamil?  Does he experience some sort of side effects?  Why is he not into o2?  What does he use as an abortive?  I'll tell you this is my first cyle using o2 and I do not know why i didnt use it before.  It is a life saver.  yes, its a pain in the ass and it is a commitment but 100% worth it.    

Quality of life goes through the roof with o2.  With imitrex, you have to decide which headache you are going to treat and which you have to ride out. Not with o2, just use it everytime you think its coming.  There's my 2 cents.  I won't judge any further

he's always been a "tough guy"  and for years just rode it out.  only used imitrix when absolutely necessary,  like in a public setting or on the job and getting hit.  

as for the verapimil,  he doesn't like feeling "medicated" and he said he tried a higher dose before and not much difference in HA.  i was lucky he didn't give up the topamax after the first few days that made him feel a bit dopey.  but its better now.

as for the O2, its a combination of things.  its a bit of a mental block for him,  as his dad was dependent on o2 in his older, ailing years.  he recognizes that.

in addition,  he doesn't like the taste it leaves in his mouth and he says it makes him woozy.

again, its his decision, not mine,  i got the info,  i got the o2 delivered,  i got all the equipment,  up to hiim to use it or not.  i won't judge,  its his pain.

no worries on the questions,  that's how we learn what might work for each sufferer.

IP Logged
MinxKittten
New Board Newbie
USA 

Supporter

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 12:07am »

this morning, the first thing my hubby said to me when he awoke...
"wow,  that was the first pain free day i've had in months"

AWESOME!!!

we don't want to get toooo excited, in case its a fluke.

nevertheless it was nice to have a PF day and nite.  like the kind Richard always wishes us.  (thanks richard!!!  keep wisin em!!)

today,  no hits so far.....kept with yesterday's regimine.

and......   he got to eat dinner for the first time in months!!!

lets see how the night goes...... Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 6:23am »

So good to hear....... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley.......for both of you!

Much love,
Jackie
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 12:53pm »

Awesome news!!!  Love to hear it...

I hope his break is a good long one.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 1:31pm »

Ditto the above jacq

PF . . .  any way you can get there . . . are our two favorite letters in the alphabet.

Hope the beast continues to lay back and his cycle ends soon.

Be Safe,    PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 1:55pm »

That is such great news! Smiley  Cannot thank you enough for your love and support....we'd have a tougher time around here without our supporters, you guys..err...gals...rock! thumbsup

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
MinxKittten
New Board Newbie
USA 

Supporter

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 2:11pm »

well  he did have a couple of minor hits last nite after our big dinner. Cry

but nothing major,  i just think he over did it after months of no dinner.  the fact that he had a big meal in the evening and didn't have a BIG HA, is indeed improvement still.

seems like taking the taurine with meals helps immensely with the digestion and not bringing on that meal related HA.

we got our Tall Grass Beef order yesterday and i'm looking forward to seeing if there is any difference for him with beef, including hot dogs with no hormones, no nitrates, no additives of any kind.  pure grass fed, instead of grain fed beef.   my friend said the taste is amazing,  we'll see soon enough. Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 2:13pm »

headbanger
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss