Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Fear seems to be what causes some lives... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Fear seems to be what causes some lives...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fear seems to be what causes some lives...  (Read 1175 times)
oringkid

Email

Fear seems to be what causes some lives...
« on: Aug 13th, 2002, 2:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

to be ruined.

I know it is easier said than done, but you can not let fear of this pain ruin your lives!  Yes, this is the worst pain man (or woman) can endure but endure is the operative word here.  This does not kill you.  It goes away fairly quickly.  

It seems that many on this board put their lives on hold while in episode and mostly due to the fear of the pain!

Your attitude towards this affliction is VERY important.  You CAN have a life with this.  You CAN keep your job with this.  It is a matter of sitting yourself down and saying "I will NOT allow this to ruin my life!"  "I will not give in to the overwhelming desire to give up"  "I will not allow this disease to become the focal point of my life"  Because my friends there are other diseases out there that WILL take your life!  If, in the future you should be diagnosed with something that is terminal, you will have wasted so much life by allowing this thing to take it over and dictate to you.

You cannot get strength from others, only encouragement.  The strength must come from within you.  You must be determined.  Yes there are others here to help and encourage, but, you ARE alone.  Alone in your fight within yourself.  Only you can make the decision to not let this thing take your life.

It can be done.  This is a fact.

Love you all!

Sherry
IP Logged
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

Re: Fear seems to be what causes some lives...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 3:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sherry,

I agree whole-heartedly on the intent of your post, but:

1.  " It goes away fairly quickly"  :  Define quickly!  my episodes rarely exceed an hour, but man! that seems a lifetime.

2. : Fear of Pain" :  I dunno, but it isn't the fear of the pain.  I do not fear pain.  In fact, I almost embrace it, knowing it so well...so familiar.  I think it is more a fear of having to deal with the pain in public, or among family members.  I don't care how tough you are, when a strong ch hits, it fucking drops me like a rock!  I cannot function during those episodes, and it's the "putting on hold" the things you are doing during an episode.  I have 2 boys, 11 and 14.  They are my life!  And no matter how much they understand, I DO NOT WANT THEM TO SEE THEIR FATHER REDUCED TO A WITHERING SOUL during an episode.
Fuck the pain... that is what I fear....... I deal with everything else.

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
Drk^Angel

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 4:15pm »

I'm with Slammy... I don't fear the pain.  I can handle the pain.  I have to put everthing on hold 'til the pain subsides (normally 2 - 3 hours if I'm away from home and away from my only abortive, O2), but I don't fear it.  My biggest problems are the sleep-deprivation, and my severe sensitivity to light, among other annoying symptoms.  I'd gladly accept the pain, if I could be rid of these other symptoms that never seem to go away while in cycle.  But that's me.

PFDAN...................... Drk^Angel
IP Logged
ChristineL

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 4:26pm »

Slammy..............

Don't know if this will help but when I first got my CH's and was Chronic my son was about 6 - 7 years old. I was always afraid that he would be scared of me, the O2 tanks in the living room, my pain and have bad memories.

Now that he is 21 he remembers the O2 tanks cuz he thought they were cool - doesn't ever remember being afraid, and is compassionate and well - adjusted.  

Your boys love you and understand your pain.........they will always be there for you.

Chris L
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 4:35pm »

Slammy, I gotta get in on this one.  Chris L really nailed it.  You should listen to her.

Your boys are your supporters.  Let them do their job.  We supporters never think less of you guys for being in pain.  I've heard this fear before, from lots of sufferers, but please know that those of us on the other side of the fence NEVER think you're weak when we see this pain.  Quite the opposite is true in fact.  

And, it actually helps us to see what you go through.  Believe it or not...it does lead to more understanding and compassion.

Further, who's to say that one of your boys might not just grow up to be the guy who discovers the cure? Talk about inspiration.  First hand knowledge of a crusade is priceless.

Send your boys over to the Family Services Team.  Lotsa stuff there for them to chew on.

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 5:45pm »

Man,  I got to remember how to provoke you to post, Margi!  Grin  I love reading your insights!

Thanks!  I never looked at it that way, Margi.... and even still, it may take some time....but never understimate the ability to inspire!

ditto Chris!  Slammy loves ya both!   Kiss

Slammy   Cool

IP Logged

The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 6:12pm »

Have to get into this one and i just hope there will be no missunderstanding here

Oringkid !

Maybe you are unique here but i do not think that this is as easy as you think.
To be absolutely trou i do not know what is worse,the pain or the fear of the pain.So i better copy my story in here:
I know just what you are saying.  
over the last year i have been 100%antisocial.Never go out because of the fear of attacks when im out and not be able to help my self when i`m hit.Fear of let my neighbours think that i`m a junkie when i has to take the shots+++++++Sometimes I do not know what is worse.The pain or the fear and isolation some of us has.  
Thats why at least i am here on the net a lot.starting when i wake up about 0730-01:00 in the night.I just feel a lot better here.  
My beautiful wife is trying the best she can.Sometimes we can get out,but the fear is usually destroing the evening.  
I know that some of my friends here say that this is "bullshit"feelings,but its still here.  
I also go to the "brainwasher"for help on this problem,so any good advice will be apriciated a lot. i also like the chanse to add my med here

I just wont to add my medications for breaking out of cycle.But remember that i`m not a doc,just another clusterhead from Norway  

Verapamil Retard 120mgX5-7/daily during cycle    
Oxygene alone at 10ltm for 15 minutes or combined with imitrex-shots does miracles.The shots should start working in 6-9minutes.a few secons after that you are almost painfree    
Prednisolone in high doze for 10 days 80mg    
then over a 3 weeks periode step down like 60-40-30-20-10-5mg /daily    

This is the miraclecure for me,but i`m not a doc.just another clusterhead from Norway    

I also have a bad heartcondition.Had a heartattack Nov 12.But quitting the shots is no option for me.I think that the shots is Gods gift to us clusterheads.  
The thing that i don`t understand or found the answer to is how i after the attack has had only 9 light clusterattacks."singleattacks"And before i was diagnosed as a cronical.  
But so it has been said."I do not reccomend heartattacks as a treatment for cluster".Its a bit extreme for that.Dont you think?    
Take care my friend    

Your friend in Norway  

Svenn  

Maybe some of my friends here can give me an answer here,but this is me in a nutshell.But i also has to say that just to find this place and all the great friends i`ve found here has given me a new dimension in life,to be able to support or try and support fellow clusterheads.I`m just so happy to get that chanse.

Take care friends
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2002, 6:22pm by The  mad viking » IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
stevek
New Board Junior
USA 

I need the sun!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 6:16pm »

Well the pain scares the hell out of me.  As the cycle wears on I start paying very close attention to any shadow, twitch or other signal from my head, since early O2, imitrex or what ever means no pain.  I have a tough time dealing with the pain.  I guess we are all different.  

Take Care, SteveK
IP Logged
jonny

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 6:21pm »

Steve Dude!!!!!

I see your still surfing with the alien.....nice to see ya, Bro!!!

.....................jonny
IP Logged
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 13th, 2002, 7:04pm »

I have to get in on this one too, but then, when don't I stick my whiskers in? LOL.  

My daughter is 8 and she's seen the good the bad and the ugly (no slammy not my face Tongue).  She has decided she wants to be a Dr. when she grows up so that she can help people like me.  How's that for inspiration?

She fears that it might kill me, even though we've talked extensively about it, and I've even shown her on the net all about the pituitary gland and hypothalamus and the trigeminal nerves, I think all children fear losing a parent to some extent (it doesn't help that her grandpa died 2 years ago) so communication does wonders.  Maybe she'll be a nobel prize winner for curing CH's Smiley

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 12:00am »

Epilepsy is common, CH is rare. Epilepsy is worse in its long term effect but for the most part, it's understood. It's common enough to be part of films an now and then TV.  

CH is so rare, few have any idea what we're talking about.  The effect is that people think we're nuts, addicts, or have low pain thresholds and they are afraid when we run, hide, scream, contort, and sob.  It's odd that falling down with a seizure is less frightening than rocking and contorting in extreme pain. This situation doesn't seem to change much and that's scary.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
kim
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 7:17am »

I guess we all know that "fear" thing.  Anticipating the next one and afraid we will be out of our "safe zone".  I know I have given up social events because of it.  You are right Sherry that if you give in to the fear it WILL take away from your life.  It's ok to be afraid (how can you NOT be afraid?).  I have learned over the years to keep going forward by making an effort NOT to isolate.  I now make sure I arm myself with what meds work for me.  If get that "feelin" I grab big cup a coffee and get abortive into me QUICK.  Then, I hope for the best.  If still get hit, I just gotta deal with it until it goes away.  then, I go back to having a good time.  Understand, though, that it took me YEARS to get to this point.  We all go through it.  Sort of a process I guess.
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 9:09am »

When I first started seeing Dave he didnt know what he had... thought he was a freak of nature...When he went to the ER they treated him like he was looking for drugs.
His attitude sucked... He felt sorry for himself.  He hybernated when he had a cycle and no one understood. I thought OMG I finally find someone and he is going to die on me... I found him a doctor that finally knew his stuff and that lead Dave on the road to understanding...

He is not alone, though he choses to be sometimes by ignoring the fact that he has CH when he is in  remission. That's why I am here

Attitude is everything with CH... I could have run for the hills I didn't (yet).

You can take CH and make it work for you.  One of my best friends here is a great writer and I am constantly trying to get him to use his talent and write about CH.
Could be the best thing that ever happened to him.

Your attitude is great Sherry, Christine L, Svenn...  Slammy it is true your kids will love you and respect you, no matter what.  Your wit gives people a humerous side to CH. Thanks for that... You are right about Margi... years of WATCHING has made her wise. I pray for you all everyday that you will find the help that you all so despirately need...  I thank God for the tough people here but also for the weak people that still remember to come here when they are down and ask for an answer... and usually get one.

sound like Im rambling... I am... a little down today myself.   Im glad I could come here and forget for a while.   love you all ree

IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 9:28am »

When i am getting hit really bad, it is not the pain that makes me afraid...it is the fact that i cant function on my job, etc....the depression and isolation that comes with getting hit 4 and 5 times a day...if someone can live a normal life when the beast is visiting, i tip my hat to them..cause i am not one that can...yes, i try to keep a good attitude , but it is not always possible...when your life is on hold, it is hard to do....smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 10:59am »

Forgot to add the other side of the coin...since i have been pf now for about 6 weeks, the fear is gone...i have lost 11 pounds, got a suntan and going on a date tomorrow nite. lol...see, things do get better. smiles,nancyc
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #15 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:00am »

What I hate is the canceled vacations, abrupt ends to what could have been an enjoyable evening with my wife.  The pain is just an annoying part of my life, and at times seems to be the only part of my life.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:13am »

Sheesh Nancy!  

I thought you going to keep our date a secret!  ( Can't wait to see the tan! ) Cheesy

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:44am »

Sorry Slammy ...i was so excited I could not keep my mouth shut  Grin....wanted you to know we are going to see "Signs" with Mel Gibson in it...know you will love it. LMAO... ;D nancyc
IP Logged
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:47am »

Great hon!  btw... Mel's son plays on my younger son's basketball team... want me to give him a message?  Cheesy

Slammy   Cool

IP Logged

nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:50am »

PLEASE tell Mel that i love him....and get his autograph for me so i can sleep with it every nite..lol.   ;Dnancyc
IP Logged
karen j
New Board Newbie

Email

« Reply #20 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:50am »

I have to agree with Drk, at least the lack of sleep makes it difficult for me to deal with other parts of my life. And I do fear sleeping when I am getting hit hard. Sometimes I feel like if I could just stay awake all night, then it won't come-doesn't work Angry  But I also try not to let the beast rule my life-sometimes I win, sometimes he does but the times I win are well worth it! If I want to make plans to go somewhere when I am getting hit day and night, I just understand that I may need to leave early and if I don't then that is a bonus. Gee can you tell I finally had a PF night and got some sleep-life looks real good today!!!!!
IP Logged
Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 12:32pm »

on Aug 14th, 2002, 11:50am, nancyc wrote:
PLEASE tell Mel that i love him....and get his autograph for me so i can sleep with it every nite..lol.   ;Dnancyc

heheh... I am sooo biting my tongue on this one, Nancy   Kiss

Ok, I'll get it.. I don't know if his is on location filming, cuz I haven't seen him the last couple of weeks... but I'll see what I can do for you, luv.... ( anything for a nurse  Shocked )

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

oringkid

Email

« Reply #22 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 3:01pm »

Nancy, Signs is an excellent film!  VERY scary!  But not gross!  We went to see it and I posted about it right before all the posts went away!  I thought it might be a sign....LOL.

Shut Up Slammy!  LOL

Sherry
IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #23 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 8:18pm »

Personally, I thought Signs was about the worst piece of crap that Cousin Mel ever made. I thought the crop-circle hoax stopped 20 years ago.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' with it.

Now I'm going to Vegas
« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2002, 8:19pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Aug 14th, 2002, 11:55pm »

Shut up Slammy and get me the autograph LOL...and bob g, i would love anything Mel Gibson stars in..dont care how bad the film is..lol... ;Dnancyc
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss