Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 10:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « If your over forty......... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   If your over forty.........
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: If your over forty.........  (Read 1432 times)
Jabeen
New Board Veteran
USA 

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Email

Re: If your over forty.........
« Reply #25 on: Dec 4th, 2002, 9:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

But did anyone else run after the DDT trucks while they were spraying for mosquitos???
IP Logged

OUCH member since 9/5/02
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 4th, 2002, 9:33am »

Fer some reason I don't member the DDT trucks....I know they sprayed tho....I member a bug spray smell  late at nite seepin in the window. Think they did our neighborhood 'late' at nite cuz I member that smell.....I used ta pick big chunks of asbestos off the huge plumbing pipes in the bathrooms in first grade at school and the stuff'd fall off on yer head and all over the floor all over us...we'd pull big sheets of it off. Closed that school many years later cuz of guess what.....asbestos !!!!! Scarey ! When I was a toddler I picked....then "chew'd" lead paint chunks off the window seal while lookin out the window....I actually member doin it....was a sand color'd paint and really thick........gawd........
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Jabeen
New Board Veteran
USA 

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.

Email

« Reply #27 on: Dec 4th, 2002, 9:59am »

When we were kids in the late fifties-early sixties (YUK! Sounds old)  they used to spray for mosquitos-especially at the shore.  The truck drove around spraying DDT out the back of a truck-we used to chase the truck and run through the cloud...it makes me ill to think about it now. And our parents never stopped us-they didn't think it was a problem. We also lived near Givadun and Hoffman La Roche and Minwax-big chemical and pharmaceutical companies that dumped into local ground water.  We played in those waters also and found distorted frogs.  It is amazing that we aren't all dead or deformed. Most of those sites are closed down and have become federal clean up sites-  
Maybe your trucks came too late to chase??  The smell was distinctive!
IP Logged

OUCH member since 9/5/02
captdshea
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 6th, 2002, 5:07pm »

Brain- We played hockey from early morn until
dark. Always Built the fire before, And everyone had to find or bring wood.
IP Logged

"Seek knowledge and truth"
"Respect divergent points of view"
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #29 on: Dec 6th, 2002, 6:00pm »

???Hey my husband, who IS over 40yrs  has 1 clusterhead, 4 necks, 3 arms, 14 fingers,  
2 belly buttons, 4 legs and a foot, with quite a few toes on it................used to chase DDT trucks do you think thats maybe why he has a finger missing??????
LOL
 Grin ;D ;D ;D

Agghhh
LOLLOLOLOL
Cathy Cool
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #30 on: Dec 7th, 2002, 5:38pm »

I'm not over 40 but I still remember a time like that.
and maybe a little more technology was involved in a few of those activities, but, they were good times.

How did we do it?  

Simple........."Home trainin'"

Cerebus( pushing 40 very soon uughh)
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #31 on: Dec 7th, 2002, 6:36pm »

I missed the McDonalds post. They were 15 cents and cheeseburgers 20.  Fries must have been a dime. In truth, they are a lot bigger today.... no better, and they pissed in the pickle barrels, but you can get fat enough to bring lawsuits against them for forcing you to squeeze your butt through the door.  Only Den could come up with something that funny.

I wonder if they still spray the streets in Eagle Bay, NY (lower western Adirondacks) for black flies. They were doing it in the 1970s.  It was pretty thick but black flies are no picnic either.  

Flit Gun totin' Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
sueellen83
New Board Veteran
USA 

Shoot me and get it over with!!!!!

nsueellen83   nsueellen83
Email

« Reply #32 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 12:37am »

Hey, Terry!!  Thanks for the memories!!!

I'm still a couple of years away from 40 but, I can remember the freedom my brothers and I had.

We would hit the front door in the morning running and didn't slow down until Dad made us come in.

My sons have more than 200 acres to run on and it is like pulling teeth to get them to go outside.

My brothers and I would have killed for that much space to run in!!!!!
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #33 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 1:11am »

Anybody 'member Romper Room on TV.....I was so upset they never said 'they seen Pam' thru that lookin glass...Oh....and Captin Kangaroo...........what about Mr. Jing-a-ling........(how you ting-a-ling keeper of the keys).....
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

sueellen83
New Board Veteran
USA 

Shoot me and get it over with!!!!!

nsueellen83   nsueellen83
Email

« Reply #34 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 1:26am »

Yea Cootie I remember Romper Room (was my favorite show) and Captian Kangaroo.  Don't know the other one though.

Wow, that really brings back the memories!!! Cheesy  Cheesy
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #35 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 1:33am »

Mr. Jing-a-ling was the Christmas dude.......he was the keeper of the keys.....now that I think of it....what keys.....for what ? Always thought he looked a bit scarey....or gay.....myself...strange curled up on th ends wig....bells on his shoes...shiney silk outfit !? Romper room was so long ago.......but honestly....all respects here to the max......I remember them sayin 'I see Jonny' the most......honest.....not tryin ta be a smartass......that was the most popular name.....no Pammie........wah.......I sat in fronta the Tv waitin ta hear my name...................
IP Logged

SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I’m awed by the amazing resiliency that we possess

Email

« Reply #36 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 6:22am »

I’m sitting in the middle of 46 yrs. on the planet, I remember Snickers bars and Wrigley gum for a nickel. Zarda’s Dairy had their own ice cream shops, seven big scoops for $0.35. The only place you could see any naked women was National Geographic and Mom was always wondering why the Sears catalog had so many pages ripped out (bra and panty pages). They couldn’t show bra’s on women on TV, so Playtex would have a commercial showing a manikin with a bra, or Bess Myerson (?) wearing one OVER a sweater. I would have killed for a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, or (would you get your ass out of the bathroom) Victoria’s Secret catalog. We will be the last generation to grow up so innocent.

For six years through grade school, I walked over 1 mile to school and 1 mile home. If you lived over a mile away, the bus would pick you up, but the school district measured it “as the crow flies” so we walked. Rain? “Don’t forget your raincoat”. Snow? “Wear your boots today”. Two cars, so that Mom could drive us? “In your dreams!”

For some reason, one of the things I miss the most, is people walking around after dark. Not too many people walk, here in LA, even in the daytime, but I now live in a Hasidic and Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, within walking distance there are 4 different Synagogues. After sundown Friday night until sundown Saturday night, the sidewalks are filled with families, dressed in their Sabbath best, holding hands, pushing baby carriages, literally taking back the streets. During the High Holy Days, I see whole families, grandparents down to infants, walking around the neighborhood when I’m getting home from work at 2:00 am in the morning. That is a wonderful and uplifting sight.

Oh yeah, I didn’t have these fucking headaches!

PFDAN

David J.
IP Logged

Wine is a little like love. When the right one comes along, you know it!
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #37 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 6:52am »

God I'm old. For me it was Howdy Doody, Clarabell and Mister Buster. Mom couldn't stand it...It's Howdy Doody time...etc. with the Peanut Gallery that never shut up.  

Bosco.
Flav'r Straws
The tiny wax "bottles" of flavored juice  (you bit the top off to drink them)
Those fat paper straws with Kool Aide like powder we ate dry most of the time
Beeman's Pepsin Gum
Gem razor blades
Necco wafers (Bleaugh)
15 minute TV news
Betty Furness wheeling around TV sets and portable GE air-conditioners
December Bride
Your Show of Shows (Still the funniest thing ever on TV)  
Lone Ranger on the radio
Our Miss Brooks
5 cent, 12 ounce Pepsi
Weeky Reader
Cartridge fountain pens (Everyone refilled the cartridges with an eyedropper.  
Re-using stamps by covering them with Elmer's glue (Still works I imagine....the cancellation rinses right off)  

I'm done for now... Roll Eyes

Like I said, I'm old. Probably a year older than The Beaver.... Undecided

Wheezing old Charlie Tongue
« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2002, 7:03am by Charlie » IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #38 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 7:41am »

Charlie dude,

As long as you can still REMEMBER “The Beaver” you’ve got some hope (“uhh…I’ll take what’s in Carole Merall’s box, Monty”). Not only was Pepsi $0.05 (but it was 10 oz. not 12 oz., don’t fade on me now man, you were doing so good), you could go around to the neighbors and collect enough returnable bottles to get a seven scoop ice cream cone. During a slow time in my television commercial career in collage, I sold Rainbow Vacuum cleaners, door to door. Good luck, now a days, getting someone to even open the door to a stranger, let alone let them into your house, to dump dirt on your floor!

PFDAN

David J.  

P.S. There's a guy on the phone for you, says he's the Postmaster General.
IP Logged

SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #39 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 7:46am »

Jonny, Charlie:

You guys just put me over the top. I’m a fucking VETERAN now. If I ever find that bastard that called us “vipers”, you better be ready to pull me off him!!!
IP Logged

jonny

Email

« Reply #40 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 8:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Im not pulling you off no dude, cause theres no homosexuality in my kingdom unless it has to do with chicks.....LMMFAO ;D

...................jonny
IP Logged
Ann
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Annage

Email

« Reply #41 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 8:37am »

Ok, I'm only 36, but I remember a lot of what Terry mentioned.  Here's what I would like to add to my list of memories.

1-  playing ice hockey in the streets, actually wearing the skates and having to move our goals when a car wanted to pass
2- building snow forts and tunnels right on the side of the street because that's where most of the snow was.  Was always fearful the snowblower would come by and grab me out of my hiding place. And sliding from the roof because there WAS so much snow!
3- riding my bike everywhere I wanted to go
4- our very first colour tv.  My dad had locked us out of the basement one Christmas morning, because it was a surprise.  (I remember changing the channels with pliers as well!)
5- walking 5 miles to the "corner" store to buy junk...dip sticks, bazooka bubble gum etc.
6- seasame street, the friendly giant, romper room (she never said my name either!) The Carol Burnett show, Sonny and Cher.
7- playing all the games you mentioned ie: Kick the can tag, mother may I? etc.

My niece just started riding her bike and I asked my sister if she was going to get her a helmut.  She said, "hell, we never had one and we turned out fine".  I guess she's right in a way...although I don't think there were as many cars back then.

Thanks for the memories guys...you made me realize that my childhood was pretty darn cool!

hugs
Ann
IP Logged
SommelierCH
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #42 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 9:20am »

Quote:
Im not pulling you off no dude, cause theres no homosexuality in my kingdom unless it has to do with chicks.....LMMFAO  

...................jonny

I’m thinking it would be more in the masturbation realm, but I’m with you on the chicks!

David J.
IP Logged

jonny

Email

« Reply #43 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 10:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

LMAO.........Touche' David ;D

...................jonny
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #44 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 2:44pm »

Any body ever listen to them radio shows....'The Shadow'....that was friggin cool !!! Gave ya such vivid visuals with sound effects....well.....you can get sum good visuals listenin ta Howard Stern to.........not that "that's" a good thing tho......interesting but.....he can be a gag jus the same.........
IP Logged

Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #45 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 3:52pm »

I think I have most of ya'll beat in the age dept., I'm 45...going on 80 I think.  And Charlie, your's really brought back memories.  Pixy Stix, the wax bottles...man, I haven't thought of alot of that stuff in ages.  

Remember those Highlights magazines (find the hidden things in the picture?)  The awful vinyl floors in everyones house?  And what has happened to all the fireflies that used to be everywhere?

We walked so much, that in the summer the bottoms of our feet would never come clean, no matter how hard we scrubbed...and they toughened up to where you could almost walk on broken glass.  Riding horses bareback to the back tank (that's pond for the yanks!) and fishing for crawdads and catfish (also bottlerockets explode underwater too).  

Pink Panther cartoons, Captain Kangeroo...and of course, all the girls loved the Tom Jones Show.  But everyone loved Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights.  Mom's had a big meal prepared every night of the week...did we even have fast food then?

Sneaking into the drive-in theater, or going with you parents and having something risque playing on the back screen...getting whapped on the head everytime you tried to turn and watch the better movie!

Making homemade ice cream and watching your Dad crank that thing forever!!!!  We still make it all the time, but there something missing when you just plug it in.

Feeling safe enough to sneak out your window in the middle of the night...and then later in high school, knowing if you snuck out and got caught, the local police would just drop you at your house, and laugh with your parents about kids nowdays.

The family doctor was really a family doctor, and would come to your house to stitch you up or whatever.  He always made housecalls, no matter how late at night.

Those cub scouts and brownie uniforms (and why is my husband always wanting me to wear it again?)

Parents listening to big band music, and dancing in the living room and down the hallway.  

Thanks, all you guys, for bringing back memories of things which shouldn't be forgotten.

R

IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #46 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 8:28pm »

Guess you were right David. Coke must have been 5 Oz.   "Twice as much for a nickel too; Pepsi Cola is the drink for you." Cheesy  Picky, picky  Roll Eyes

Thanks Roxy...Pixy stiks sounds right I forget everything.

The free Coke one could win by digging out the cork in the bottle caps
Green Stamps & Red Stamps
The little cap bombs (forget what they're called)
Soda powered bathtub submarines and divers
John Cameron Swayze
Science Fiction Theater
Carling's Black Label Beer
Rubber Bowie knives
Robert Q. Louis
Mini Brix
Jack Parr with Oscar Levant
Bridey Murphy
Carrol Chessman & Dr. Sam Shephard (I know I spelled it wrong)
Highway Patrol
M-Squad
J. Fred Muggs
You Are There
Monster Cards
The egg man (peddled eggs from his truck)
We never locked our doors unless we were gone overnight

I had never heard of cluster headaches

Okay. I'll stop  Roll Eyes But who made the homemade cigarette machines? They used paper tubes, I think and sold mountains of tobacco.

Your turn...... Cheesy

Charlie

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2002, 8:32pm by Charlie » IP Logged

Donna
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #47 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 8:57pm »

And don't forget.....

Hermit's Cave
The Red Lantern (kids program)
Teaberry Gum
Blackjack Gum
Rock Candy
Soda Fountains
Street Cars
The Paper-Rags man
The smell of a garden of tomatoes, etc.
Panning in the creek for fools gold
Carving your initials in the Daisy BB gun ( I was Annie Oakley)
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #48 on: Dec 8th, 2002, 9:27pm »

Coolest 'thin I remember when I was very very young was livein on a brick road and the ice cream man was comeing down the street ona white Harley trike....I'll never fergit that !!!! That was KEWL......................... Smiley
IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #49 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 6:45am »

Ahhh Charlie and David, you both managed to remember the Pepsi and Coca Cola, you of course didn't mention that they actually came in GLASS bottles that required a bottle open that was usually conveniently located right on the side of that awesome cooler!  You guys forgot to mention those fancy coolers that you slid the lid over to reach in and get your soda out of...I used to have to lean so far in that my feet would come off the floor!  I think they've gone the way of the dinosaur....

I loved pixy stix and flav'r straws, there were both , and the little wax bottles of flavored water and wax lips too, they were kewl.  Ahh the days of the corner store and penny candy that actually cost a penny!

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss