Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 10:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « If your over forty......... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2002 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   If your over forty.........
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: If your over forty.........  (Read 1431 times)
TerryS
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Re: If your over forty.........
« Reply #50 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 7:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was Wild Bill with my Daisy BB gun or sometimes Hop-A-Long Cassidy. How about the Ted Mack Amateur Hour,Zorro,
Mickey Mouse Club, Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew Mysteries.

You guys have had some great memories.
Wow Black Jack Gum.........I don't think I have had any of that in 30 years.

Thanks everyone for all the relived memories.
TerryS
IP Logged

> It is only a tiny rosebud,
> A flower of God's design;
> But I cannot unfold the petals
> With these clumsy hands of mine.
> The secret of unfolding flowers
> Is not known to such as I.
jimmers
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hello GOD! The gene pool needs some chlorine!

« Reply #51 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 11:08am »

Allmost 40 but,

I remember getting my ass kicked by my Dad when I had it coming and not telling him that "I'm gonna call the cops on you!" (That woulda been another ass-kickin!)

Not being judged by other kids by the price of my tennis shoes.

Learning math without a calculator.

My brother and I having the same shirt  for graduation pictures (3 years apart)

One car families.

Aluminum foil TV antennas.

2 TV's, one for picture and one for sound.

Clear Kool-aid (outta sugar)

Spending all day looking for 5 returnable bottles worth 5 cents apiece so I could get another soda.

Popsicle stick rafts for the puddles.

Poppin tar bubbles.

The folks being pissed if we didn't bring home the brown paper sack to re-use for tomorrows lunch.

When someone under 18  in the neighborhood was pregnant and it WAS a big deal.

Fights without weapons.

When the most fearful words you never wanted to hear were "Wait till your Father gets home".

Actually taking responsibility for your actions.

What the hell is the world coming to? ;D

gottalovit.

IP Logged

I don't suffer from INSANITY; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #52 on: Dec 9th, 2002, 8:55pm »

You misfits do pretty well with nostalgia. Thanks again Terry  Cool

Here we go:  

X-ray machines in the shoe stores
Nash Rambler and Packard
Play House 90
Gillette Cavalcade of Sports
Fletcher's Castoria
The Rebel
Quemoy & Matsu  
Kids actually played outside
Salk Vaccine was Intravenous at first
Soccer was not a big deal
Sleeping on your mat in Kindergarten
$64,000 question
Ernie Kovacs
Not everything was "For the children."  Adults counted  

Thanks for the teaberry gum reminder. It was good.  

Yer turn Cheesy  

Charlie

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
pimmony
New Board Junior

Email

« Reply #53 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 1:59am »

Oh! Oh!  I have been reading this thread with great interest and until you mentioned the glass bottles of coca cola not much really hit home.

I am 51 and the strangest thing is I feel really young altough I miss being able to take flying leaps into hedges for the sheer joy of it.

(It is perhaps significant that my partner got me a new gameboy for my birthday and I have far too many wasted hours on Everquest.)

When I look at the photo album, though, I miss a lot.  I grew up in africa and ran barefoot in the wilderness.  I have a lot of young friends and I wish that they at least had the chance to do that once, even though deep down I know they would probably hate it because civilisation is so much more alluring.

The Goon Show, as it was being aired for the first season )
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #54 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 3:43am »

The Goon Show.....
I haven't heard of that in a long time. I think the only time I heard it was on an old LP that I had. I think it was only one of many things on that recording.  No doubt it can be found now. I'll have to look it up.  

I confess knowing little of Africa and if you like, tell us something about it. I'd be interested.  Glad you stuck around and I hope you're doing better.

OK:

Flit guns
The Profumo scandal
Flouride treatments in school
Dribble glasses
Brylcreme
Albert Anastasia
Cream Top milk bottles and spoons
Muttnik
Hitting a roll of caps with a hammer and still being able to see

I better stop before they hall me away.  Tongue

Mean old Charlie

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2002, 3:46am by Charlie » IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 1:13pm »

LOL Charlie, once again you keep reminding me of things:

"Hitting a roll of caps with a hammer and still being able to see "  

We could still see, but man we had alot of broken fingers that year! Wink

Here's one for ya, not sure if many will remember or even want to, but what about ......

Gammara the Japanese Super Turtle!  Does anyone remember that show?

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #56 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 5:28pm »

Ha-ha-ha...I remember Gammara..I still watch that stuff on 'nutin ta do Sundays' on Sci-fi.....I remember when Godzilla used to sorta scare me !!! Mom and dad took me to my first theater sci-fi movie when I was 'very' young and could stand in the seat (I'm still short tho)....it was called 'The Crawling Eye'....(blk/wht movie).... I was so scared I'd turn away soon as the monster would come on screen and mom would warn me. They took me to see the first original ' The Blob' movie sum time later and think I had my first panic attacks after that...I was skeert shitless at nite thinkin it was seepin inta my room thru registers and windows and under the bed....I was white knuckle skeert at nite).... I can see how  movies can influence kids....good or bad.........
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Slammy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Lust Without Remorse! Love Without Regret!

strider_39  
Email

« Reply #57 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 5:55pm »

on Dec 10th, 2002, 1:13pm, catlind wrote:

Gammara the Japanese Super Turtle!  Does anyone remember that show?

Cat

you're too fucken old!   ;D

Slammy   Cool
IP Logged

That's it! Everyone out of the pool!

" Everytime I try to get out, they PULL me back in! "
oringkid

Email

« Reply #58 on: Dec 10th, 2002, 7:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This is so cool!  It is almost as if it were another life....

I remember in the summer, staying outside from early morning to late at night playing.
My always bare feet, tough as nails and coated with tar from the hot tar bubbles in the street.

Waking up to the smell of coffee and bacon (not that I drank coffee then, but it smelled soooo good!  Way better than it tastes!)

Catching salamanders and crawdads in the creek.

Actually getting up and clunking the dial around on the black and white tv...don't know why they had so many numbers as there were only 3 stations.

Soda fountains in the drug stores.

That big pickle barrel, also in the drug store.

My Dad carrying me on his shoulders at night so we could catch lightening bugs.

No air-conditioning.  Fans with metal blades.

Watching Ed Sullivan.

Gunsmoke
Sugar Foot
Sky King
Bonanza (before it became Ponderosa)
Ben Casey
Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Green Jeans (actually Frank Zappa's father... still can't believe that!)

And yes I remember the pixy stix, wax bottles and lips, boston baked beans (candy coated peanuts) getting tired of the cap gun and just hitting the strip of caps with a rock. (I loved that smell)  

Sparklers on the 4th of July (before they banned them)

Back then, our cookouts were always steak (not hamburger) and corn on the cob...trying to eat it with my 2 front teeth missing.

Having a rope swing over a big drainage ditch (we called it the "little creek"Wink that our parents didn't know about.

My mother used to whistle for us to come home (she was one hell of a whistler too!)  We had to yell "coming" at the top of our lungs and head home.  There was a mocking bird in our neighborhood that adopted my mom's whistle and had us running home all the time and being super pissed cuz she hadn't called us.

Earlier still, I remember that the man from the cleaners came to our house and picked up our clothes to be dry cleaned.

Our milk was delivered to our door, in glass bottles with foil tops.

My grandmothers always had HUGE, LIVE Xmas trees that would sit by the stairs and the top would reach to above the first floor ceiling.

My brother had an all metal, blue, ford pedal car, which I was too big to get into... Sad

Computers were something that only scientists had and they filled whole rooms.

Learning to show the home movies on the Bell & Howell film projector was a rite of passage.

The BLINDING lights that my parents used to get all those cool home movies.

Man...we had it great didn't we?

Sherry
IP Logged
pimmony
New Board Junior

Email

« Reply #59 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 5:14am »

Charlie, I am A Big Goon Fan[tm] and one site I think is pretty good is below, because he has mp3 links and .wav files and, simple me, I laugh every time I hear I_dont_like_it.wav (not linked here).

http://www.alphalink.com.au/~robertd/GoonShow.html

Now that this has come up I shall spend a couple of hours on that site after reading all this forum!

Africa was wonderful. I was born in what was Southern Rhodesia, in a town called Gwanda (seriously!).

We farmed in the east just over Christmas Pass, over the mound from Umtali.  Life was an outside privvy which usually homed a banded cobra (not a pet) - and wide, netted, verandahs with cages of budgies and a pet blue vervet monkey called Shoko.

We farmed all sorts, from avocado and olives to sugarcane and vegetables.  I spent all my off school time with my monkey exploring the bush and swimming in a river which ran through the farm.  It was a pretty isolated childhood but I loved it.

We had a small diary herd and one calving, which was a young bull calf and a pet. I used to play hide and seek in the rose garden with it but then it got big and they took it away to the abbattoir.  My first heartbreak and it took me years to understand it.

And of course the coca cola bottles in wooden crate-fulls, BBC worldwide radio with the news.  No television at all until the 1960s when they received the first transmissions on the top of Christmas Pass and my family was witness to a snowflaked black and white news broadcast from the BBC.

It was also two years of locust plagues and bankruptsy, which, at eight years old I did not really understand.

My memories are filled with fishing and camping every weekend in the Matopos Game Reserve, where we pitched old fashioned green tents on whatever high ground we could find and played guitars and sang around campfires and watched herds of impala and kudu all day.  So many buck! And buffalo and bouncy Sprinbok.  This was a game reserve of course and I even went up to a white rhino on a dare (all I can really remember is adrenalin and that it was stinky and eat really loud!) and patted it on the head and it was very tolerant and did not kill me.  Oh yes, giraffe and the scare of a leopard coughing outside my tent in the night.

Even after UDI we stood at the start of movies when they played God Save the Queen.  We were more British than British and the rest of the world never understood that Rhodesia was multiracial and apartheid was a dirty word.   I grew up in a gorrila war zone but we still went fishing in the Kariba Dam and more than once had both sides wandering into our camp.

I grew up losing boyfriends to bullets and utter confusion, still believing neither side was right and there is no glory in war.  I do not mean this to be inflammatory or diminish the value of the lives lost.  I just saw too much of things that teenagers should never see, I guess.

Anyway it was still all barefoot and avoiding devil thorn and scorpions, and standing very still on a river bank while the crocodiles yawn around me.

Oh and the lizards in the Matopos Game Park sipping coca cola from plastic bowls during the day and the hawk moths doing the same in the night (we had to put bowls of cola out for the huge moths so they would not come into the fire).

And church on a Sunday, which we raced back for still wearing fish scaled cloths and the stink of campfire, for high mass  Smiley

Enough of me!
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #60 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 9:06am »

WOW.....growin up in Africa..."awesome" !!!!! I'm in love with tigers and lions......and wild cats......I am totally amazed by big cats and the wild life......that's totally cool (not the hassle part that happen'd)....I loved that movie 'Out of Africa'.............I wonder'd around a teeny  wooded patch behind my house with about 6 trees I thought was a jungle back then.........I'd of been in heaven in Africa......an prolly some big cats lunch to........
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #61 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 5:34pm »

Wow,  Rhodesia. That’s something, and thanks for your great story. What memories.  Never again will I make such a big deal of dad driving the pickup to our big camp and using the portable generator to vacuum all the dead bugs we DDT’d inside, and slept in a bed which my grandmother kept cleaner than the one at home.  It was a short drive and we stopped to load up on beer and stuff for the icebox.  Not the same thing!   Cool

That was a great narrative.  I’m 56 and my childhood was that of a small city kid with too much to do. Not at all interesting. I’ve not had an attack since 1991 and have lead a rather dull, reclusive live. Not even a budgie. Sally had those.  Cheesy

I’m very glad you waded in and stick around. Cheesy

Charlie Cool
IP Logged

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #62 on: Dec 11th, 2002, 6:02pm »

Ah, Gammera, the rocket powered spinning turtle:

My favorite of the Japanese monsters.  I hadn't seen any of it in eons until a few years ago, Mystery Science Theater 3000 ran Gammera and the whole goofy series of the things. MST3K did just about everything from Ed Wood to Lugosi. Gammera shows up in all the good ones.  

OK:

Civil defense drills in elementary school

Black & White Polaroid Land Cameras with prints you had to coat with a smelly preservative. God knows what was in it

The Detectives with Robert Taylor
Boston Blackie
Bourbon Street Beat
The Real McCoys
Nat King Cole Show
Tales of Texas Rangers
Dave Garroway
Oxydol
The Monster Mash
Walter Winchell
Peter Gunn
Look Magazine
Putting washers in the Pepsi Machine. Melted ice worked well too
Fountain pens with ink snorkle (Not sure who made the things)
Krackle (you slammed a 5 cent bar of wrapped very brittle taffy on the counter which broke it into bite-size pieces)

Thanks for the memories folks

Charlie

IP Logged

Tim_w
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Finer than frogs hair!

Email

« Reply #63 on: Dec 13th, 2002, 5:20pm »

Terry thanks for taking us back in time!
  If we were growing up now we would have to visit our parants in jail, for child abuse, for betting our asses
              Timw Embarassed
IP Logged

We will all go to HEAVEN we have been to HELL! -(Personal Quote) YES There is life out There (Thank you to my new suporters)
They say this will only make me stronger but I did not ask to be SUPERMAN
pimmony
New Board Junior

Email

« Reply #64 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 4:49pm »

Charlie, I remember when I announced to my family that I was going to get married and emigrate to Britain and how exotic they all thought it was to travel here.

When I first arrived I was fresh from the country and wondered what the heck those things stuck on the wall were until someone gave me a wierd look and told me that they were central heating radiators.

I could not understand how people could abide living in terraced houses, or even semi-detached and double storied houses were a wonder, having come from a bungalow ethos.

No-one that I saw for many many months had a swimming pool, or a fruit orchard or housing for domestic workers.

It was all very different and new and exciting really, especially the shopping  

Spent some years in the Karoo and lived in Egypt too but everywhere only ends up exciting because of the people, in the end.

I love your stories.  They are ones I have not lived and do not know and they are exotic to me.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss