Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « can eposodic turn to chronic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2003 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   can eposodic turn to chronic
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: can eposodic turn to chronic  (Read 617 times)
missie31
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

can eposodic turn to chronic
« on: Jan 7th, 2003, 6:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am 31 years old  i have had clusters since 17.  My ch usually come twice a year for a couple of weeks then go away, back in september I started a cycle that has never gone away I'm worried that they may not.  Has anyone ever turned chronic from eposodic?
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: can eposodic turn to chronic
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 6:49pm »

Hi Missie31.  Yes it is true, episodic can become chronic.  It is also true that some people start off as chronic.  And it is also true that chronic can become episodic.  My most recent cycle started Sept 2001 (technically chronic), but I haven't had a painful CH attack in over 2 months (but now I get 'silent attacks'(?)).  So now maybe I'm episodic again  Undecided.  If it's any comfort, you are a long way away from becoming chronic.  Welcome to the board.  Hang around, there's lots of good info here.
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 7:03pm »

for what its worth...

http://www.asimcme.com/htmlfiles/articles/volume1/number11/446-448.pdf

<<
The International Headache Society recognizes 2 forms of cluster headache: epsodic, which affects 90% of patients and chronic, which affects the remaining 10%.
Transformation from episodic to chronic cluster headache may occur in 13% of the patients, while transformation from chronic to episodic cluster headache may occur in 33%.
>>
« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2003, 7:04pm by brain_cramps » IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 7:47pm »

YES......but ya gotta wait a yr. to be certain.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 8:15pm »

Hi Missi........Brad started out chronic for over a year.....they slacked off to every 2 to 3 year episodes....some lastin 2 to 3 months but last one was 7 weeks with more shadows and shorter attacks but more per day verses the 2 hour or longer attacks at first years ago and havein 2 attacks a day back then same time each day clockwork. They didn't follow a specific time frame this past episode. This past episode was really different then the previous ones. Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 7th, 2003, 8:22pm »

Missi - absolutely, but you won't know for a year.  Sad

I started as episodic for the first 14 years and then went to chronic about 4 years ago.

Virginia
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
Mastifflvr28
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Freddie's eyes

LVT27
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 12:43am »

Missy, my cycles used to be 2 weeks long, from 18 years old till 26 years old.  Then 3 months long from 26 till 30. Now I'm 31 and my last cycle was 4 months long.  So don't get down and think yer chronic yet.  You might just have an unusually long cycle.  
Good luck and hope you get a break soon.
Mast
IP Logged

Mastifflvr28 (aka Michelle A.)
Be part of the solution
http://www.ouch-us.org
OXYGEN!!!
http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm
pimmony
New Board Junior

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 4:47am »

I was wondering about this.  The problem for me is that I am new clusterdom so I have no idea how it is between bouts or what signals the return of the next.

Since a text book bout ended for me in  September I have been shadowed.  This is in no way debilitating, rather more irritating, and I keep trying to brush it away like an annoying fly buzzing at my head.  Every now and then it escalates into a distraction then settles back.

I had simply assumed this is how it is.  I stopped to think about it only because I dont have the confidence in my ability to perceive the ongoing cluster picture.  I was hesitant to even say anything but I figure more experienced and wiser heads than mine would know.

On a practical note, the neurologist had said if anything happens to immediately get in touch.  I would hate not to tell her if I should about the shadows.  I am about ready to send the design for the software to her so was going to sneak in a line about this in the covering letter (just in case I should tell her and not muck up anything she may need to do, or know)

Am I rambling?  Okay I shall get back to work  ... or at least file my nails, I hate it when they grow long so fast and affect my ability to type!
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 4:54am »

yess it definatly can.I`m a living proof of that.Was episodic for the first 5-6years then diagnosed as a cronic.But this do NOT happens to everybody,so dont worry about this.

Take care

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Tim_w
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Finer than frogs hair!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 6:48am »

Hi Missie
  I was episodic for 19 years, cycles were 3 mounths in sping and fall , than went to 3 months in winter and summer.
   I have been cronic for 3 1/2 years.
   Ihope I go back to episodic!
   Cluster cycles are like people they have there own personality!
   Heres hopeing you have pfdan!!

Tim_w ;D
IP Logged

We will all go to HEAVEN we have been to HELL! -(Personal Quote) YES There is life out There (Thank you to my new suporters)
They say this will only make me stronger but I did not ask to be SUPERMAN
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 10:29am »

"Instant Replay" of my conversation with my neuro yesterday...

Dr: "About 10% of CH sufferers will transition to a chronic state.  Given the length of this latest cycle, I believe you are in this category now."

Me: "When will it end?"

Dr: "There is no way to know the answer to that question.  CH comes and goes and we have no idea why some people are chronic and others are episodic. "

Me: "Yay! I'm in the top 10%!!! Where's my fuckin prize?"

He increased my dosage of Verapamil to 720mg/day, and asked me to start thinking about Lithium, Depakote or Topomax.  I know they all have side effects, so I'm not anxious to change meds now.  Oxygen is a godsend, but it's not always at hand, and it doesn't ever stop the attack from coming in the first place.

I guess I knew deep down that I was chronic, having been in a cycle since early last year.  Having the neuro actually tell me so was a blow anyway.  Doesn't seem like it should matter, but it bummed me out.  It's like getting the results on a test that you know you failed, but seeing the score drives the reality home.

-Fu
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
brain_cramps
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 10:48am »

Fubar:

So sorry to hear you're one of the unlucky ones.  

Missie:

Didn't mean to scare you, bum you out, etc... (just posting what I had read)     Like the others have said, you have a long way to go before you can be considered chronic.

Hope both of you get a break soon  (and anyone else who is fighting this battle),
Grant

IP Logged
Virginia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

v49acosta  

« Reply #12 on: Jan 8th, 2003, 2:54pm »

Fu-
Don't worry, you're in good company!  Grin

V.
IP Logged

The Clusterhead formerly known as 9erfan.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss