Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:00am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « vomiting to stop pain »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   vomiting to stop pain
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: vomiting to stop pain  (Read 874 times)
Copo_2
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

vomiting to stop pain
« on: Apr 4th, 2004, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Not meaning to be gross but if in an episode and trigger an attack by food or drink I have found that if I force myself to empty my stomach it actually stops the pain. Has anyone experienced anything similiar.    Huh
IP Logged
Elaine

Email

Re: vomiting to stop pain
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 10:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This post might seem strange to some. Years ago when I had no med to stop my pain and had one attack after another and had to ride them out. I found the same thing to be true. I never had one make me sick unless I was taking a pain pill. it was the pain pill that made me sick. I did find the pain was less after I got sick. I never put it together as a way to relieve the pain till I read your post.

I guess the only way to find out is stick your finger down your throat next time. I have imitrex now so I don't have to ride one Thank God.  

anyone else?
IP Logged
joesf
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 10:55am »

I never experienced that.  I was wondering if digestion has any correlation. Does anyone have any experience with fasting during a cycle?
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 12:04pm »

I have fasted regularly for years and found it has no effect on me but I am chronic so...
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Melissa

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 1:10pm »

Yes, this has happened to me.  One time when I went to the ER while in the throngs of a ch, the idiots there gave me a shot of demerol, which didn't work, then a shot of morphine, which didn't work either.  Anyhow, it wasn't until I threw up in the sink there, that my ch attack went away.  Also, during my 2002 cycle, I was going on almost a 2 hr. ch, which didn't end until I threw up.  So, who knows?  Might be some sort of reflex, or blood vessel thing, due to the vomiting, that relates to cessation of the HA's.

Oh, and Karla, I don't think fasting has the same effect as vomiting.  It doesn't have so much to do with having an empty stomach, as it does with the effects of the vomiting.

Smileymel
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2004, 1:10pm by Melissa » IP Logged
boomboom
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 2:14pm »

I don't have CH but I do get migranes, and whenver I get the severe ones, I inevitably get nauseous and throw up, and I almost immediately start to feel better.  I always thought it must have something to do with with re-directing blood pressure and flow, kind of like hand warming at the first sign of the attack that totally prevents the migrane from happening.
IP Logged
Luke63
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

For sale:  1 BIG BARKING  HEAD   Price: Free

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2004, 6:41pm »

Not heard of this...never have gotten sick...tho....this depakote is playin with me a bit....not much help  just thought I'dsay tho.
IP Logged

I think we should all get together and do a movie..."Night of The Clusterheads". George Romero would have nothing on us!!!
west17m
New Board Newbie

Call me Tag

west17m
Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 12:25am »

Last week I had my first CH that induced vomitting.  For me about 5-10% of my HA's are kip of 10 and this was by far the worst I have seen.  I didn't feel better after attempting to expel an empty stomach, and the HA continued its normal duration and course.  Just my $0.02USD.
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #8 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 10:28am »

Interesting read:

could be called the
"Clusterheadache Spew Relief and Dietary Program" or SPRDR -- (Spurder)

Yea - I know STFU echo -- not bad for a Monday morning.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 5th, 2004, 3:26pm »

If it is a long CH and a High Kip, I end up getting sick and like Elaine, the pain will ease after that happens.  Never know for sure if it just ends at that point on its own or if there is a corrilation.  Not my favorite thing to due, but I know that if I try and force myself to not throw up, then it only makes that pain worse.
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #10 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 1:24am »

I too have thrown up, but a majority of the time it was after taking stadol. When the pain gets so bad that it makes me shudder... Like a huge shiver almost, that's about the time I throw up. But it does not make anything better. It usually makes it worse actually. Then afterwords I usually feel bruised on the side of the head. hurl nono
IP Logged

Chris
Turts
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 3:32am »

Ive never heard of or used this method before, thats not to say that it does not work. The closest I have been was more of an shortness of break dry reach to clear the airways during an attack.

I will have to keep this in mind next time. Not that im a fan of vomiting, but like most remedies will give anything a go.

Would it work if I shoved beers down my throut insteadof fingers????
 Grin

Turts
IP Logged

'I'm very brave generally,' he went on in a low voice: 'only today I happen to have a headache.' (Lewis Carroll)
Melissa

Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 7:51am »

I do not suggest to ANYONE to forcefully make yourself vomit "just to see if it'll stop a ch!"  PLEASE don't do this, as doing it often can lead to other medical problems, and no one needs anymore problems in addition to CH!  

Kissmel
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 10:21am »

Yes.
I used to get sick from the cafergot and pain during an attack.  Hurling would always end the attack.

Could be 2 things.

Serotonin is found in the GI systems.  Hurling could be activating a release of 5HT.

or

The exertion of hurling could be it.  This is part of what led to my finding that I could stop an attack with streneous exercise at the start of attack.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
aprilbee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ain't I a stinkah!!

« Reply #14 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 12:04pm »

I've had vomitting both relieve the CH (not take it away) and also make the CH worse...just depends I guess?
IP Logged
5-string
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Nothing is accomplished without passion

Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 11:45pm »

One time I did that and it worked for me. Go figure.
...Mark..
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss