Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « One Week Without, but »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   One Week Without, but
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: One Week Without, but  (Read 268 times)
Dover
New Board Newbie
USA 

One day soon

One Week Without, but
« on: Apr 12th, 2004, 10:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been a week without a CH (since starting the pred).  There is still times when I feel some of the sensations that usually accompany them but without the pain.  I am now tappering so I am getting concerned that they are just going to come back at the end of the tapper.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I can't tell if I am being like the dog that was beaten too often and just cringes at the sight of a hand, or if I am looking at this clearly and the pred is just a bandaid that once taken off, the wounds are still there.  

IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

Re: One Week Without, but
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 10:21am »

Hope the back down from pred still keeps the SOB at bay for you.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

HypnoticFreddy

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 10:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Good for you that the pain is subsiding. I am also just over a week ending a cycle. Topamax has been my saving grace.

When I took Prednisone 5 years ago, I thought it was a horrible drug and it did nuttin for the CHs. But all the powers to ya.

-Freddy
IP Logged
Dover
New Board Newbie
USA 

One day soon

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 11:22am »

Reading the board has made me a little less optimistic about pred than I was when I spoke to my doc.  

I can't help but think we are all being treated for symptoms and not for the underlying cause(s).  

Thanks for the encouraging words.
IP Logged
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 12:26pm »

I did a pred. taper and I've been pretty much HA free since then but I have the feeling the cycle was winding down anyway and the pred. just got me through it. These CHs seem to have their own time table and the meds just help to make them a little more bearable. I've had CH cycles for several years now and I can't think of a time when taking any med seemed to end the cycle....the cycles just seem to end on their own good time no matter what I do or don't do.
         Rich
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #5 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 12:43pm »

I'm in the same boat...
I've got 2 days left of 20mg of pred.
I haven't had a ha in a week.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us!
IP Logged

Chris
PatFan
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 1:03pm »

I went through the very same thing as both of you.... the headaches did return after the pred taper, but the next cycle I started Pred and Verapamil (480/day) and after the two weeks of Pred, the Verapamil was doing its job and thus, no headaches. It's been a lifesaver for me. Ken
IP Logged
notseinfeld
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Enough is Enough.        Vote Libertarian

krilldocument  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 1:22pm »

Not sure what your neuro explained but Prednisone is not expected to *end* your cycle or stop h/a permanently. It is just given usually as an intermediary while waiting for other drugs to kick in.  

Being a corticosteroid it apparently normalizes the process of the hypothalamus which, IMO, treats the problem and not just the symptoms. However, the break from the h/a is short and sweet.  It's just comforting to know that if things get really bad there is some relief available.  

Dover--we're the lucky ones! Some people can't even use the prednisone or find it completely ineffectual.  

nots
IP Logged

-----------Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner. ---------------------
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 1:39pm »

Mine tapered by becoming less frequent for a couple days and just slid away for about 5 months. Then Wham! When they finally disappeared for good, it was a long taper in that my next cycle was short and my last one was very short. I'm 57 and It's been 13 years. I hope you have the same experience.

Stick around and let us know how you're doing.

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Dover
New Board Newbie
USA 

One day soon

« Reply #9 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 3:55pm »

Thanks for the information.  

Notseinfeld, I am glad you told me that.  I understood it as a means of getting the cort up in the short run so that the body could maintain that level and hopefully start producing enough to keep things relatively normal.  

I'm also taking temazepam every night, so I hope that gets the sleep structure back in order.  I tend to think the CH's are due to hormonal imbalance and sleep problems working together for the beast.  

I will let you know where it goes from here, but thanks again.  

IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Apr 12th, 2004, 4:12pm »

Kinda in the same boat as you Dover.  No CH in a week+, but the CH side of my skull/face is uber-sensitive.  Not on a pred taper though.  

Still on the verap/topa... planning the slow taper off those.

I did 3 pred tapers during this episode... great while on the pred, but I was tossed around like road kill when back off it.  

Luck,
Rock
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss