Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 10:03pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Whats the difference? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Whats the difference?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Whats the difference?  (Read 615 times)
becky8

Email

Whats the difference?
« on: Oct 20th, 2004, 10:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

After my last thread, I'm not sure if I should even ask this. But, dumb sounding as it may be and since this stuff is so $$$ I'll ask anyway. I started trex nasal spray20mg, Now I do injections. My question is because of change of DR's at one time I got my nasal spray refilled and got  trex spray only in 5mg ( I didn't even know they made anything but a 20mg. Needless to say the 5mg didn't touch my Ha's. Like I said I am now on shots, but not wanting towaste any trex and 20mg spray DID work for me, if taken soon enough. Explain the differences in amounts of trex in the sprays and shots. And can I just use more of the spays at one time since they weaker than I normally use?? So as not to waste?
IP Logged
thomas

Email

Re: Whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 10:21am »

The shots are lower doses because imitrex is more efficient when used in the injected form.  I have not seen the imitrex 5mg nasal spray, only the 20mg.  But then again I haven't used imitrex in 2 years.  Have you asked your doctor about other abortives, like amerge, zomig, or axert?
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 12:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I get perscriptions for the 5mg and the 20mg ns of imitrix since my insurance limits each type and amount I can have.  So... What I do is take 20mg by itself and If I need to I repeat in 2 hours.  Up to 2x  a day.  That means 80mg of ns is ok in one day.  So I will start with a two 5mg ns and if I am still having a ch in 10 min I will take another two 5 mg ns.  That usually covers it.  Then repeat taking the 4 more in a couple of hours if needed.  Works nice.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 1:33pm »

I believe the net results are that the same amount of medication ends up in your system.  The injections are the most efficient because of the delivery method.

John
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 3:15pm »

Whats the deal with the spray I mean. 5mg or 20mg is one stronger. I know with the shots it probably is but I never even new imitrex came in 5mg???
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 2:37am »

After doing some research, it appears GSK tested 5mg, 10mg and 20mg nasal sprays.  Apparently, studies showed no significant difference in relief between the 5mg and 10mg nasal sprays.  Obviously, the 20mg worked best.  Doses over 20mg were shown to be no more effective than the 20mg dose.  So, they have 5mg and 20mg nasal sprays.

As always, ask your doc, but to me it seems like 20mg is 20mg, whether it is all at once or four 5mg snorts.

Gator
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 5:33pm »

Gator,  
I believe you probably on right on this. Like I said I don't want to waste any and I am stuck with this one box of 5mg. I really like and use the injections now. But I tryed 2 sprays of 5mg one night (still not good). Then one time I just did 4 sprays of 5mg and it worked, I just didn't know if it was okay and didn't even know they made a 5mg. Thanks for the help, I feel better about doing that now, I don't have many left anyway.Again just didn't want to waste them.
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 6:51pm »

Whats the difference ?  
Ones a pill and ones a spray....THen theres always the injection form.
(The ONLY one that will work for me is the injection)

Unsolved
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 7:53pm »

There is spray that comes in 5mg , 10mg,and the best and only one that works for me, the 20mg. Pills are useless for me. Shots are excellent, but some don't like needles
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 12:04am »

on Oct 24th, 2004, 7:53pm, becky8 wrote:
Shots are excellent, but some don't like needles

I'd much rather deal with a little stick and 15 - 20 minutes of pure clusterhell ....... then no stick and 90 minutes (Give or take an hour) of pure clusterhell !!

Unsolved
IP Logged
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 1:36pm »

on Oct 25th, 2004, 12:04am, unsolved1 wrote:

I'd much rather deal with a little stick and 15 - 20 minutes of pure clusterhell ....... then no stick and 90 minutes (Give or take an hour) of pure clusterhell !!

Unsolved

AMEN
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
becky8

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 1:48pm »

huh? I thought we talking about the different doses the spray comes in? I agree shots rock, but that wasn't the question,OH, never mind!!!LMAO!!!! Whatever works??????????
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 3:18pm »

Unsolved the nasal spray works as fast as the needle.  In 6-10 min. I am pain free from nasal spray.  Longest its taken is 15 min. but that was one time.  So your only option isn't needle for fast relief.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 4:30pm »

on Oct 25th, 2004, 3:18pm, Karla wrote:
Unsolved the nasal spray works as fast as the needle.  In 6-10 min. I am pain free from nasal spray.  Longest its taken is 15 min. but that was one time.  So your only option isn't needle for fast relief.

I don't dispute the fact that some ppl get quick relief from the NS. It's just inneffective for me. I can spray 1 in each nostril and my head will still bang for an hour. The ONLY thing that I have found to work effectively for me are the injections.

Unsolved
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 6:05pm »

At first I didn't think this was a good thread to have started, but now I wonder if people are feeling like this about the sprays because they come in different strengths and IT DOES make a huge difference when you use. And if you don't really pay attention you can get one strength and then another. I have used the shots now and 20 mg spray and the 5 mg spray. And I have to say the 20 mg spray does really work pretty fast and is for sure to me strong as the shots!! The 5 mg on the other hand stink, and like I said if you don't really pay attention you might get the 5 mg sometime like I did. This is good to talk about
IP Logged
Tom K
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wait 5 days, but I'm angry now...

Paintba11z

« Reply #15 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 6:19pm »

I agree...always check your dosage at the pharm.  I have never gotten the 5mg instead of the 20 but I guess it could happen.  I think the majority of confusion would happen at home, in the dark, grabbing meds in the dark and hitting the wrong dosage.

T
IP Logged

"America, you're so fine, you're so fine, you blow my mind. America, America."-Bart Simpson
Jimmy_B.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

USS Missouri BB-63 Veteran

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 7:13am »

on Oct 20th, 2004, 10:12am, becky8 wrote:

I started trex nasal spray20mg, Now I do injections. My question is because of change of DR's at one time I got my nasal spray refilled and got  trex spray only in 5mg Needless to say the 5mg didn't touch my Ha's.  I am now on shots,  

Explain the differences in amounts of trex in the sprays and shots. And can I just use more of the spays at one time since they weaker than I normally use?? So as not to waste?

The difference between the sprays & shots is that less Mg's are needed for the shot since it pretty much goes right into the system & does not lose efficacy through the blood/brain barrier or G.I. system. You'll see this in most drugs i.e. Morphine 60mg. orally is equal to 10 MG Morphine intra-muscularly...

I would ask a Pharmacist or Doctor on taking (4) 5mg sprays as compared to (1) 20mg Spray. Although the active ingredient would be the same, there may be by-products in the drug that are not tolerated at 4x's the dose. But there probably wouldn't be an issue.

Stay pain free

Jimmy
IP Logged

"I'd much rather be HAPPY then RIGHT any day" Slartibartfast

Get informed! Don't vote a party ticket. Go to www.vote-smart.org and find out where your political candidates stand.

becky8

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 8:12pm »

Good reply, Jimmy. Now were getting some where!!! Grin Grin
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #18 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 11:47am »

Ok Gang,

The reason WHY the injections are lower in dose is because of the fact that it is injected directly into the body and thus absorbed easier.  Most of the Nasal spray passes down the throat in the form of drainage.  Also note that the Trex Pills are even a lager dose because most of the med is cleansed by the liver before it even help you. This is referred to as the first pass effect That is why IV or IM meds are smaller doses and usually more effective.

GOOD VIBES MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN PAIN!

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #19 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 4:09pm »

I have always gotten the nasal spray in 20mgs.  I have heard that they made a 5mg spray but I never would get that.  I figured is was for safe use for children or something, I don't know.  
  Using the nasal spray though, if taken early, I always endure about 20 minutes of pain and sometimes longer, but I know it will go away.  With that kind of delay, I wouldn't touch the 5 mg.  20mg works, but icepacks are a must while waiting.  I stay with them because I get a good quantity and they can be used without a moment's interruption at work.  Although I always have kleenex and shades at work too, icepack is out.  Leaving my desk can be difficult at times.  Oxygen works faster for me but I use it at home only.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2004, 4:15pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 9:31pm »

I think the fact that these meds are used primarily for migraine treatment is some reasoning for various doses introduced orally. I only wished they were more effective with CH in particular.??????
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss