Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 4:27pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Messed up sleep! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Messed up sleep!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Messed up sleep!  (Read 477 times)
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

Messed up sleep!
« on: Oct 25th, 2004, 9:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Even after DHE IV treatments and having a few weeks of MUCH calmer and pf life, I still can't stay asleep.

I wake up at 0445 no matter what time I go to bed the night before.  If I go to bed too early I awake a couple of hours later as though it was a nap so I head to bed around 1030 to 1100 and get to sleep by around 1130.

I've tried melatonin, diazepam, ambien, benadryl and I'm already taking Zonegran and Zanaflex at bedtime.  I still wake at 0445, wide awake.  If I don't get up and allow myself to fall back asleep I will awake later with shadows.

This leaves me tired all darn day!  Do others have the same issues that aren't already being woken by ch's in the night?  
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2004, 9:21pm by Renee » IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

Re: Messed up sleep!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 9:36pm »

Hi Renee,

Two possibilities?

First - After my cycles end, for about a month I tend to wake up at the usual times that the beast would visit.  Is 4:45 one of those times for you?  If so, it will pass.

Second  - If you're starting that interesting road towards menopause (my road started at age 40), early wakening is one of the most common symptoms.  Nearly drove me crazy to wake up at 3:30 every morning and not get back to sleep.

Melatonin is a good script for both, but it may take some time.  Meanwhile, a good boring book is the best I can suggest.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 9:48pm »

Kris,

I'm chronic but getting a break due to the DHE inpatient treatments, although I think the breaks are beginning to wear thin as it has been almost a month since the treatments.

As for menopause, I had a hysterectomy in '99.  But, now that you mention it, my sleep problems really started this summer when I was taken off of my hormone replacement therapy.  The hot flashes are still here but not as bad as they were the first few months but the sleep problems did seem to start when the HRT stopped.

Any suggestions for sleep?  I can't go back on the HRT as it causes my CH to spiral totally out of control.

Thanks for the input,
Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 10:21pm »

Hi Renee were you taking oral HRT? If so, you may want to try bio-identical hormones. If you regular MD hasn't a clue, find a dr of oriental medicine or accupuncturist. They are natural and I believe soy based. They made a huge difference for me. Oral estrogen wasn't doing anything. Bi-est/progest (which is applied through the skin was helpful the first day. (hot flashes, night sweats and sleep disturbance have not returned and I've been off for a year.)
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
thomas

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 10:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Trazodone
IP Logged
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 10:53pm »

I wore an HRT patch, vivelle dot, estrogen only.  

trazadone?  will it last 8 hours?  let me go look that one up thomas!  Wink

Ambien, diazepam, benadryl, zonegran, melatonin...they all put me to sleep but only last for 4-5 hours then I'm wide awake.
IP Logged

don

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 8:00am »

Quote:
trazadone?  will it last 8 hours?

Depends on dosage. Talk to your Doc.
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 9:16am »

50mg keeps me out for a long time.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 9:34pm »

You've gotten some pretty good suggestions, despite the fact that Thomas has never experienced the joy of the menopausal journey.

So far I've managed to survive without any HRT.  Melatonin has been my salvation in terms of sleep.  You might try your usual bedtime dose, along with 3 mg of extended release.  Couldn't hurt, at any rate.

Kris
IP Logged

Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 8:35am »

Here is something to ponder, In July I stopped taking HRT. 6 weeks later the clusters came back after 9.5 years pain free. There were times I would wake up like clock work at certain times of the night for 3 or 4 days, but usually went back to sleep.
I started back on HRT yesterday at the Nuero suggestion. Who knows maybe it will help maybe not. I am 55 and was on HRT for about 5 years before I stopped.
I take 100 mg of Trazadone and have for years, but lately have started taking 3 mg of melatonin at night with that. I still wake with the clusters.
One thing my Nuero told me, if we are anything, us cluster folks are constantly unpredicatable.
Good luck and wishing you WELL.
Ruth
IP Logged
Ruth
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 10:18am »

Cheesy Cheesy
After reviewling that post, I am not 55 I am 53, what the hell, guess my mind is going south too!
IP Logged
eddie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

PFDAN TO ALL

« Reply #11 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 10:51am »

i have taken xanax but it does not keep me out
also 9 mg melintonin so i tried dramamine  
it does help and if you wake up take another
dramamine they do help, hope it will help ya
PFDAN TOO ALL

IP Logged

PFDAN TO ALL>><< http://www.putfile.com/ededearl>>><music> http://www.myspace.com/pamneddie
becky8

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 3:08pm »

Eddie told me about dramamine, I did sleep but woke and just put another one in my mouth and went back to sleep. also take melation 10mg. So I had all this in me and slept finally about 7 hours. but the next day I didn't have really a headache just a hangover feeling and I was grumpy big time, just ask my daughter!! So I laid off the dramamine, still use melation but still don't sleep much. I see the Neuro in 11/2 so tell me more about trazdone? Does it make it hard to get outta bed the next day? Can anyone tell me more?
IP Logged
thomas

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 5:20pm »

on Oct 28th, 2004, 3:08pm, becky8 wrote:
Does it make it hard to get outta bed the next day? Can anyone tell me more?

If you take it too late it can.  But if you take it early , you wake up refreshed.  Be careful though one of the side effects is prolonged inappropriate and sometimes painful errections.   laugh
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 8:20pm »

Sounds like you could really get screwed taking that medicine  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 8:23pm »

Goodness boys ... you're making me blush!

Kris
IP Logged

GeneralPatton
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Nov 1st, 2004, 7:53pm »

Whats the dose on the ambien?

Also, even though I know this is a no-no, if you take the 10mg ambien with a couple beers, its a guaranteed sleep, at least in my case.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss