Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 11:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH's & Sleep Apnea? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH's & Sleep Apnea?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH's & Sleep Apnea?  (Read 667 times)
amct15
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

CH's & Sleep Apnea?
« on: Nov 20th, 2004, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,

I thought I saw somewhere that there may be a link between CH's and sleep apnea.  Recently I've had episodes of what I can only describe as sleep apnea, except I'm not fully asleep.  It typically hits just before I do fall asleep, so I'm just concious enough to realize that I'm not breathing.  

So my assumption is this:  Since I catch this apnea sometimes when I'm still a little bit awake it must be at least theoretically possible that it does also kick in while I am asleep, and goes unnoticed.   And, since oxygen seems to work for many as a treatment for CH's, I'm wondering if, therefore, the lack of oxygen caused by apnea could be a cause of (or at least a contributor to) CH's?

I just thought I'd get some input on this.  The theory sounds logical I suppose.  But I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience similar to this?  

Thanks for any input.  Here's to many PF days for all!
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: CH's & Sleep Apnea?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 10:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Could be a contributor, I believe .... but not a cause.

I was told by my local neuro that as high as 80% of clusterheads could also have sleep apnea.

If one were to have a severe case of sleep apnea, treating the apnea may help reduce the clusters.

Unsolved
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 11:31pm »

I have moderate-severe sleep apnea and have noticed it before I'm fully asleep. The c-pap mask actually triggers CH when I use it. I'm going to get a canula instead (hopefully soon). There's another thread about this in the archives. From sometime during the summer, I think.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 4:34pm »

There have been several research reports posted here in the last couple of years reporting a positive relationship between sleep apnea and clusters.  

You might try the search function to find them.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
amct15
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 1:01pm »

Thanks for the info.  I didn't think it could be a cause since there are definitely those out there with apnea that don't suffer from CH's, but it does seem there is a fairly definitive link on the flipside.  

In some strange way perhaps in this case, the headache is the brain's little "alarm"  Sort of it's way of saying "hey, wake up... I'm not getting enough oxygen up here!"  

Thanks again for the info.

Andrew
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 2:41pm »

Ahhh, the good old OUCH Library:

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/general/apnea.htm
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
amct15
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 1:09pm »

From the above link to OUCH

"These findings suggest that in some patients, physiological consequences of OSA may trigger CH during the first few hours of sleep and thereby influence the timing of subsequent daytime headaches."

Yup... sounds like me.

Thanks for the link.  I knew I had seen something on this subject somewhere.

Andrew
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 2:28pm »

: Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10. Related Articles, Links  

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.

Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

The Pain Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. RESULTS: Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). CONCLUSIONS: The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5. The relationship sleep apnea has in the perpetuation or precipitation of cluster headache is still to be determined. There are some reports that treatment stops the cluster but there is no prospective study. The high incidence (80.64%) seen in this population suggests the cluster patient should receive a sleep evaluation and perhaps intervention with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or an appropriate dental device.

PMID: 15186306 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
ClusterGuy
New Board Newbie
USA 

ClusterHead for 14 years

330993818 330993818   zazzerdotcom  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 9:50am »

I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and I am getting setup with my cpap machine on this coming tuesday. I have also had clusters for 14 years, with a 3 year remission. I am hoping that the cpap machine takes care of my CH, but I think I am fooling myself.
IP Logged

http://www.pimpvalley.com

Redneck

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25th, 2004, 10:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have sleep apnea also, diagnosed in early 90's. Couldn't tolerate C-pap then. Started back on C-pap this spring. It never really helped my headaches but did help with snoring (wife was ready to move out) and did help with the tiredness. Hope it works better for you. CH is bad enuff with the added medical problems sleep apnea can cause. Best of luck.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss