Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 3:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Serious CH Topic...Need Your Help »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004 Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Serious CH Topic...Need Your Help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Serious CH Topic...Need Your Help  (Read 1055 times)
Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

OUCH needs volunteers

smileyone1968@yahoo.com  
WWW Email

Serious CH Topic...Need Your Help
« on: Dec 16th, 2004, 12:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am trying to put together some statistics on Insurance Carriers, Meds, and how much they allow per month

What I need from as many of you as possible is to either list here or PM me the following information.  It is for a little something I am whipping up for convention, et al.  ALL information will be treated as confidential.  

What state do you live in:  
(Altered is NOT an acceptable answer, BTW Wink )

Do you have health insurance?

Who is your current insurance Carrier:

What CH meds do you take:

How many are you "allowed" per month:

Have you ever been able to get your insurance carrier to allow more?  If so, how?

I am trying to get some stats together that will help ALL of us...Please help  

DD

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2004, 1:09am by Donna_D. » IP Logged

The information contained above is for the expressed use of fellow clusterheads and their supporters. Any misuse of this information by any of my "Ex's" is considered to be creepy and a form of harassment and will be duly noted by the ch.com webmaster Tongue
don

Email

Re: Serious CH Topic...Need Your Help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 7:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Other than confirming that the insurance companies suck, how will this data help?
IP Logged
PollyPocket
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Someone I am is waiting for my courage.

Yennyfur_D  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 7:42am »

I have no health insurance at this time. My doc GAVE me 2 bagfuls of meds- one preventive, one rescue.  God I love that man! He will have a special place in heaven.
IP Logged

“Life is all about timing... the unreachable becomes reachable, the unavailable become available, the unattainable... attainable. Have the patience, wait it out It's all about timing.” - Stacey Charter

"If I don't remember it happening, it never happened. Wink " - Tori
Donna_D.
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

OUCH needs volunteers

smileyone1968@yahoo.com  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 7:45am »

I am attempting to put together letters that can be sent to the insurance carriers to appeal the number of abortives, etc. a CH'er is limited to each month.

Also to get some states Medicare/Medicaid programs to pay for 02 for CH.

I will compile all information and present everyone with a finished copy when I am done.

DD
IP Logged

The information contained above is for the expressed use of fellow clusterheads and their supporters. Any misuse of this information by any of my "Ex's" is considered to be creepy and a form of harassment and will be duly noted by the ch.com webmaster Tongue
Biker
New Board Old Timer
USA 

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 7:56am »

West Virginia

No insurance------Veterans admin. hospitals

Oxygen????   No way will they perscribe oxygen

Verapamil????  They seem fairly liberal on the verapamil.

Triptians???   Very limited.  Just enough to abort 6 times in a 2 month period.    

Seems West Virginia Vets hospital has no neruo.  I have to ride the bus to Pittsburg to see a neuro who knows very little about CH.   Its very frustrating.   Once at the Pittsburg neuro I was hit with CH.  They saw me dance.  All they did was wait till I could carry on a conversation.  No oxygen, no triptians.
IP Logged

Ride it like ya stole it.
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:05am »

on Dec 16th, 2004, 7:26am, don wrote:
Other than confirming that the insurance companies suck, how will this data help?

It would be good to compile a list of CH-friendly insurers/HMOs.

My current HMO is brutally CH-friendly, at least for my meds.  If it were on your employers list I would give it 2 thumbs up.   (Keystone Health Plan / PA)

Of course, my employer is dropping it as an option for 2005.  

Being replaced with this guy:

IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:35am »

New York.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

When in cycle, Depakote ER, Imitrex pills (100 mg).

9 pills per month.

No.

Thanks for doing this Donna...

Langa
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Sylvan
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:55am »

on Dec 16th, 2004, 12:53am, Donna_D. wrote:
I am trying to put together some statistics on Insurance Carriers, Meds, and how much they allow per month

NJ

Yes

Cigna Health Care HMO

Verapamil, Lithium, Indomethacin & hopefully O2 soon

So far - whatever the Drs RX - as long as i don't try to exceed the dose on the RX - they will give a 30 day supply based on that.

Have you ever been able to get your insurance carrier to allow more?  If so, how?
not yet

Not sure if my info helps since i'm still very new to this - but thank you for compiling the info.  

Sylvan
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 8:59am »

I'll let you know when I finally get my coverage on Jan 1st. I know it's going to be BC/BS PPO...no other info yet. Donna, can you keep bumping this?
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Tiannia
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life does not apologies......

Tiannia_L  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 10:49am »

What state do you live in:  Nevada

Do you have health insurance? Yes, never leave home without it (not with kids)

Who is your current insurance Carrier:Health Plan of Nevada but also had Cigna here as well

What CH meds do you take: Currently Imitrex NS and Replax Tabs (I have injections for Trex but that was a care package from a couple of angels)

How many are you "allowed" per month: 6 NS for trex (for Cigna) 6 tabs for Replax (HPN) HPN does not cover Trex anymore so I pay for the NS myself so that I have them when I need them. the Replax I give to Shaun for his Migraines, they dont do shit for CH. But niether did the Trex tabs either.  Think they just take too damn long to work.  
I did ask how many injections I could get if I got them prescribed and they said two cases (4 shots)

Have you ever been able to get your insurance carrier to allow more?  If so, how? Nope never.  They tell me it cant be done. That medically it is not allowable to get more then the 6 a month because according the HPN the FDA does not allow more then that to be taken in a month time because it is dangerous. Guess I should be luck to be alive, cause I take a hell of a lot more then that.
IP Logged

The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. - Carl Rogers
marlin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 11:04am »

Who is your current insurance Carrier:  Aetna

trex inject, pred, O2 (that's all I have bothered with past 8 years as they work)

8 trex shots/mo FREE.  Can get an override (possibly)
pred $10 copay
O2 FREE home delivery

Have you ever been able to get your insurance carrier to allow more?  Don't need to.  I'm episodic and I stockpile like a packrat.

If so, how? I did once for trex with another insurer (Pacificare) 3 years ago.  Wasn't easy.  I had to see a neuro and he had to jump through flaming hoops with requests that got denied several times.  Eventually got doubled from 6 to 12shots/mo. and boy did I stockpile then since I knew they were gonna be tough in the future.  Got on a 3mo automatic delivery using mail order so I didn't even need to go to a pharmacy.  That was sweet watching the stockpile grow 36 shots at a time!!!!
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 11:07am »

Donna,

John Deere

Verapamil/lithium no problems(no limits)
imitrex vials- 5vials a month
02 as much as I need and its totally free  

What was the last ?
IP Logged
byoung111
New Board Junior
USA 

It's just one of those days!

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 11:07am »

What state do you live in:  Colorado

Who is your current insurance Carrier: Great West HealthCare HMO

What CH meds do you take: Imitrex, O2
O2 coverd at 100%  

How many are you "allowed" per month: 2 auto-injector kits or 4-1ml vials.

Have you ever been able to get your insurance carrier to allow more?  If so, how? I'm in the process now of doing that. The Dr. has to call the insurance company and tell them why I need what I need. Then they accept or decline the request.

Good luck we're all counting on you.
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2004, 11:08am by byoung111 » IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 11:13am »

Sorry about that,
I live in Illinois and no they haven't allowed me anymore than what I said last post.
IP Logged
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 11:19am »

Kansas

Yes

Cigna -- changes to Harrington on Jan 1

Stydol as an abortive. Was on Tex injectors for awhile

Two Stydol, One Trex

No

IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 1:25pm »

on Dec 16th, 2004, 10:49am, Tiannia wrote:
Have you ever been able to get your insurance carrier to allow more?  If so, how? Nope never.  They tell me it cant be done. That medically it is not allowable to get more then the 6 a month because according the HPN the FDA does not allow more then that to be taken in a month time because it is dangerous. Guess I should be luck to be alive, cause I take a hell of a lot more then that.

This is complete and total bullshit!!!!!  My insurance will pay for 8 trex NS per month. A friend of mine gets 18.  Why do the insurance companies try to feed you bullshit like this? If they have a policy against paying for more then 6, then they should just say so.  

As far as I know, the FDA doesn't not allow it. Christ, I can get as much as I want if I want to pay a fucking fortune out of pocket!  Fucking insurance companies...

I use way more than 6 a month too, and I'm still fucking here...

Anyway...

I live in Illinois
Insurance carrier is Healthlink

I use Imitrex spray and injections

I can get 8 Imitrex NS per month or 6 Imitrex injections, and I get samples from the GP when they have them.

Not this insurance. Letters have been written by my GP and neuro. They were denied with two appeals denied.
My previous insurance carrier at my old job allowed me up to 30 Imitrex NS per month, after my neuro at the time wrote them a letter.  

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2004, 6:36pm by purpleydog » IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #16 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 2:05pm »

Quote:
Posted by: Tiannia Posted on: Today at 09:49:26  

Tia, this is total BS.  Neither the manufacturer nor the FDA have any such limitation.  Insurance companies like to try this lie, but Teri Robert from About.com is a patient advocate who has fought this battle before.  Read these three articles.

http://headaches.about.com/library/weekly/aa-bc-trip-limits-a.htm

http://headaches.about.com/cs/advocacy/a/trip_limits_2.htm

http://headaches.about.com/library/weekly/aa-bc-error-a.htm

Insurance companies piss me off soooo bad.

As to your questions Donna:

Oklahoma
Yes  (through my wife's employer)
Aetna PPO
Imitrex Injections in vials
10 vials per month
No.  I even had my neuro write a letter of medical necessity - no dice.  Currently under appeal.

Gator
IP Logged
becky8

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 2:17pm »

I forgot to tell you guys this, but maybe it will help some of you get more trex injections. before I was using the vials of trex, I used the stat injector thing. Anyway I went to pick up my injectors and the pharm said my insurance wouldn't cover anymore for that month. SOOO 2days later after I saw the neuro I told him I wanted the vials of trex and I took the script to the same pharm and just because it was VIALS of trex instead of the stat injectors. I got them and it was 5 vails 6MG each.
Seems just because it was in a different package I got more????
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 2:24pm »

Curious how much the cost of 02 varies from place to place.  Might be of interest also.

I pay $10 per tank (B,D,or E)

Thanks again,

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Bethany1
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Always do whatever's next.

« Reply #19 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 2:34pm »

Massachusetts
Yes
Group Insurance Commission
Imitrex Injections
Insurance allows 4 Boxes/ 8 shots per month ($20)

I have never been able to get around it. 2x a year I can get it earlier than the 30 day mark. If you say your going on vacation.  But a local pharmacy will give me a box and charge the insurance later if Im really in need for ($20). The guy that owns the store hates insurance  companies so that works out ok.
IP Logged

I am sofa king we todd did.

crack is wack
Jeepgun

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 3:52pm »

Tennessee
Blue Cross/Blue Shield
Prevents: Verapamil
Aborts: Injectable Imitrex
I've never asked what the limit on Imitrex is. I tell my doctor I need it, she writes the script, and for a $10 co-pay, it is filled. She also gives me "samples" if she has them in her office.
On the other hand, she won't prescribe O2.  Angry
« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2004, 3:53pm by Jeepgun » IP Logged
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 4:02pm »

First of all I have Kaiser Permanente here in California(HMO), I'm getting trex in pill form, 50mg. I had to kick, scream, and shout for more than the 10 tablets they prescribe. I now get 20 (wow). 20 will last 4-5 days, my cycles are about 6 weeks long with about a 2 month break in between. I've been refused o2 since I have no breathing problems, and my nuero ( who I've seen once) can give a shit.  Hope this helps.
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
Bandette74
New Board Veteran
USA 

i can't hear you. I have a banana in my ear.

« Reply #22 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 4:05pm »

What I need from as many of you as possible is to either list here or PM me the following information.  It is for a little something I am whipping up for convention, et al.  ALL information will be treated as confidential.  

Florida

Quote:

yes

Quote:

Humana HMO

Quote:

so far, just Relpax pills. However, I have a neuro appt. Monday & will try for O2. the Relpax pills were prescribed because they stay active in your system longer than injections and sprays, but they don't work quickly (usually 40 minutes), so i take when i feel heavy shadowing--not quite painful, and i usually don't get an attack. However, I went three days without the Relpax, and I got hit between a k7 and k8 a couple times each day and one the first day back on the Relpax. The Relpax does nothing at all for me if the CH is painful, and I cannot take Imetrex with Relpax in my system, so I have to sweat it out if I get it.

Quote:

So far I have not been restricted beyond the two pills per day, but I haven't asked for many scripts. I called the insurace company, and asked a similar question, and they said that there "isn't a problem--i should be able to get whatever i need." whatever that means.  

Quote:
n/a

Quote:
I am trying to get some stats together that will help ALL of us...Please help
best of luck!!!  

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2004, 4:06pm by Bandette74 » IP Logged

Teaudire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 4:08pm »

on Dec 16th, 2004, 4:02pm, JeffB wrote:
...I'm getting trex in pill form, 50mg. ... 20 will last 4-5 days....I've been refused o2 since I have no breathing problems...  

wow, Jeff, that's a LOT of trex to injest in 4-5 days.  Please be careful.  And please see about getting another neuro - this one obviously has anal vision.  

sorry you're hurting.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 5:53pm »

(Altered is NOT an acceptable answer, BTW  Wink  
LOL Massachusetts  

Yes

Tufts  

Imitrex nasal spray 12 doses per month
Prednisone unlimited quantity
O2 unlimited unlimited quantity

see above

My insurance carrier only allows 12 doses of Imitrex per month. My nuero wrote the carrier a letter stating my condition and the effects. Emphasised that I was under his care and that for them to reject additional quantities could result in ER visits 6 to 8 times daily for pain relief. In his opinion the Imitrex was the lesser of two evils. The insurance carrier wrote back to my nuero stating that they have given him permission for unlimited Imitrex doses as long as I am under his care and thanked him for the advise.

Hope I was helpful D.

Sean.......................
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss