Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 8:19pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Nice »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Nice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Nice  (Read 1187 times)
forgetfulnot

Email

Nice
« on: Dec 17th, 2005, 3:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The New York Times reported Friday that Bush, months after the September 11 attacks, "secretly authorized the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on Americans and others inside the United States to search for evidence of terrorist activity without the court-approved warrants ordinarily required for domestic spying, according to government officials."

IP Logged
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Nice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 8:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

And what is your point Comrade?  

Hey, the Patriot Act was signed shortly after this anyway, they were just getting a jump on the anticipated rush.  

All citizens must sacrifice their rights for the benefit of the State free Nation.  Lips Sealed

East seems to be rapidly moving West - shhhh they may be listening.

Tom I mean Ralph

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 3:21pm »

What? Don't you trust those in DC? You know they're just looking out for us.  

Charlie

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 4:20pm »

on Dec 17th, 2005, 3:21pm, Charlie wrote:
What? Don't you trust those in DC? You know they're just looking out for us.  

As much as Clintons cigar Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Cerberus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Whomever said that two heads are better than one?

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 2:31pm »

C'mon... Are you REALLY surprised by this? An article in the USA Today recently reported that Bush ALSO made a public apology for invading Iraq on faulty intelligence, but that removing Saddam from power was still a good thing.

I said that he should have done this before, when all the no evidence of WMDs stuff first came up.  But I am not President.

'Bus
IP Logged

I would rather face the end with terror than terror without end. - (Deitrich Sawatsky 194?)
Mattchew

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 2:34pm »

seems congress knew about it all along, even Harry Reid, guess it is only important if the New York Times reports it. The eavesdropping was done on international calls to the middle east and was resposible for breaking up terrorist cells here in the US and Germany. I am more concerned about who leaked the top secret program and why. Plus  the information that we were getting that we wont be getting now.
« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2005, 2:40pm by Mattchew » IP Logged
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 5:29pm »

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be. "
Thomas Jefferson

Lee
IP Logged
Mattchew

Email

Re: Nic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 6:45pm »

if they were not listening to these guys and people died because they were terrorist wouldn't that be an "intelligence failure"?
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 7:09pm »

Try using your own words, Lee.......instead of copy and pasting!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Sean_C

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 7:44pm »

This eves dropping thing doesn't bother me in the least.

The odds of a fed listening to me personally are a long shot Wink However it sounds like alot of GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS are sweating it out Grin  

Cheers

Sean..............................
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 18th, 2005, 11:55pm »

It's not that they eavesdrop; it's that they like to pretend that it's incredibly patriotic (an overused and abused word if there ever was one) and tell us how it we are the guilty ones.

It's not new. Every despotic bunch uses stuff like 9-11 to justify bad behavior.

More to come on this I'm sure. Bush acted out of character here. Not sure about this one. Perhaps he's taking the hit on this for someone since he's already a lame duck and it's going to be a shitty election year. Who knows?

Charlie

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
forgetfulnot

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 12:03am »

on Dec 18th, 2005, 7:09pm, Jonny wrote:
Try using your own words, Lee.......instead of copy and pasting!

Cut and paste? What's that. Grin

Lee
IP Logged
Mattchew

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 7:11am »

on Dec 18th, 2005, 11:55pm, Charlie wrote:
It's not that they eavesdrop; it's that they like to pretend that it's incredibly patriotic (an overused and abused word if there ever was one) and tell us how it we are the guilty ones.

It's not new. Every despotic bunch uses stuff like 9-11 to justify bad behavior.

More to come on this I'm sure. Bush acted out of character here. Not sure about this one. Perhaps he's taking the hit on this for someone since he's already a lame duck and it's going to be a shitty election year. Who knows?

Charlie

It was top secret, the only one pretending to be patriotic was the fool who leaked it. I agree its going to be a shitty election year, wonder how many more seats the Dems are going to lose in 06?
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2005, 7:26am by Mattchew » IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 1:34pm »

Penatagon papers were secret too.  

There is something very odd about this thing. Something dangerous to some Bush crony in Washington perhaps. That speech looked premptive not just against the press and it's the speech that really opened a can of worms more than a news story. It sounds like someone's ass is being covered.  

Anytime my government eavesdrops, it pisses me off. I know they do but this bunch carries it to extreme. It even celebrates its misbehavior and breaking of law in the name of a war on terrorism that looks more like the war on drugs all the time with its harrassing of us by law enforcement and courts....and useless.

Fox News would have blown it open against a Democrat even wider.

Charlie
IP Logged

thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #14 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 2:07pm »

on Dec 18th, 2005, 2:34pm, Mattchew wrote:
The eavesdropping was done on international calls to the middle east and was resposible for breaking up terrorist cells here in the US and Germany. I am more concerned about who leaked the top secret program and why. Plus  the information that we were getting that we wont be getting now.

Yeah, they forgot to mention those parts.  And people think I'm nuts for believing there is a radical left wing media conspiracy in this country. Undecided

IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #15 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 2:12pm »

on Dec 19th, 2005, 2:07pm, thomas wrote:

Yeah, they forgot to mention those parts.  And people think I'm nuts for believing there is a radical left wing media conspiracy in this country. Undecided

Little secret....that's not why we think you're nuts.
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 2:14pm »

on Dec 19th, 2005, 2:12pm, seasonalboomer wrote:

Little secret....that's not why we think you're nuts.

Careful, you're leaking information, not suitable for public consumption.  Wink
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 2:18pm »

It's like the New York Times is liberal. You bet. Someone has to be.

In American history, it's been the far right that has produced radicals.  

It's Wilson, FDR, Truman, JFK, and Johnson that fought real wars. RR invaded Grenada.

Charlie
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2005, 2:20pm by Charlie » IP Logged

thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 2:29pm »

on Dec 19th, 2005, 2:18pm, Charlie wrote:
RR invaded Grenada.

Ended the Cold War.
Brought the Wall down in Berlin.
Got the hostages home from Iran.
Revitalized pride in being American.
Since these accomplishments the left has tried tirelessly to undo them all. (If not there, here Communism is alive and well in the U.S.)
IP Logged

Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 2:35pm »

Lips Sealed   Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed  Lips Sealed   Lips Sealed

Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Click The Flag
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 3:31pm »

I haven't met anyone that sees communists behind every tree like you since the 1950s.
Believe me, it's too unprofitable in every way today to be Red. You can relax a bit Thomas.

Charlie
IP Logged

fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 3:33pm »

Charlie,

You have to be given credit for your strict adherence to the dogma of 'right is wrong'.

You know what would be really cool?  To hear ONE democrat admit that Bush did *anything* right.  It's like if he invented a cure for cancer, the left would accuse him of trying to impose poverty on all of the cancer doctors.  I mean they will find *anything* to tear him down, even if he actually (God forbid) does something right.

Look, I'm no Bush disciple, but he IS our president.  I am extremely impressed that he has changed his tune and now accepted responsibility for the war.  I am impressed with the congress for not passing the Patriot Act, even though I'm not convinced it was as evil as the left would have you believe.  The 'new' Patriot Act went a long way towards limiting a lot of the civil-liberty-infringing powers that were granted to the government the first time around.  But hey, it was a good message to send the country, i.e. that Bush doesn't own congress.

Bush, like it or not, is going to go down in history as one of the great ones.  History will look back on the time as a nexus point where the 'world' (read, USA) decided to make some very tough choices and make the world a safer place.  All this blather about us 'creating' terrorists and an 'unjust' war will all be forgotten when we look back and see the massive changes that are taking place in the Middle East.  Even Libya gave up all of their WMDs.  Khaddafi.  Think about it.  Iraq has a constitution now where WOMEN have rights!  Unreal.

The next thing we need to do is take out Iran.  They have a new president that openly challenges the notion that there was a holocost.  He has even initiated a multi-million dollar project to revamp a holy shrine (a well actually) that is supposed to be the emerging point of one of the 12 Iman that signals the end of the world.  In other words, this madman who WILL have nukes soon is convinced that Israel should be wiped off the map AND that the world will end even before our next election.  And he will have nukes.  Meanwhile, Europe sits there waiting for the USA to take care of it so they can call us tyrants, which is exactly what will happen.

Thank God Bush is not as stupid as everyone thinks he is.  Thank God he has the balls to take care of the problem, critics be damned.

off my soapbox now.

Fu
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 4:00pm »

Lets see: George Bush:

Doesn't think much of the Bill of Rights, separation of church and state, sensible access to health care, the environment, scientific research and progressive teaching, thinks that censorship is a good idea, thinks lying to Congress and the country is just fine, thinks it's cool to un-fund most of the programs promised in 2000 while being a doormat for every big corporation by cutting back on safety, overtime, and just about anything they want, allowing them to cut or end pensions, send jobs to India so they don't have to pay real wages, likes the idea of setting up a Medicare prescription drug plan that is so convoluted that it's more trouble than it's worth and benefits drug companies and HMOs at levels hard to comprehend, that cutting funding for veterans hospitals and making it more difficult to use them is a good idea, doesn''t mind underpaying our military, thinks auto makers and ex-oil company execs fit right in the environmental and health departments, thinks that refusing to fully pay New York firefighters what was promised after 9-11 is just fine and that blowing the historic chance afterwards when we had the cooperation of everybody in the world is hunkydory, that tying foreign aid to abortion and domestic politics is great, trying everything possible to eliminate federal programs that have kept the country stable for 70 years makes sense, hires horrors like John Ashcroft to guard our civil rights, checks to see if religious zealots approve before acting, didn't learn anything this fall when federal auditors said they violated the law by buying favorable news coverage of its education polices and continuing the fake news business, paying to plant propaganda in the Iraqi press, and tarnishing American moral leadership with illegal detentions, torture, secret C.I.A. prisons in countries only recently liberated from the Soviet gulag....and onward.

Tip of the iceberg.

Charlie
IP Logged

Ghost
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Farting relieves the pressure

« Reply #23 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 4:08pm »

see he like hearing those hot button points he listed them twice, to bad most of it is bs but hey we all have the right to say what we want. I believe differently but that is me. and it freedom OF religion not freemom FROM religion.
IP Logged

Illigitimus Non Tatum Carborundum
If all men are endowed by their creator, why was mine so short sighted?

***WARNING*** Oxygen will rust your pipes!Wink
Mattchew

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 4:21pm »

Billl Clinton frustrated Republican critics. He passed welfare reform, waged a pre-emptive war against Slobodan Milosevic without either the approval of the Congress or the United Nations, and reined in federal spending. And so anguished conservatives had a hard time proving that, despite these accomplishments, he was a tax-and-spend bleeding heart.

Instead, they finally charged him with being a lothario who lied about his sexual antics. But he ended up with higher approval ratings than the Republicans who impeached him.

In the same sort of way, a detested-by-the-left George Bush has driven Democrats even crazier.

Take the economy. In Bush's first term, the president ballooned the federal deficit. But that red ink wasn't because of too little money coming in. In fact, the ensuing growth of the economy produced more annual adjusted revenue for the Treasury than had been produced before the Bush tax cuts. This year there has been a whopping 14.6 percent increase in federal income over last.

No, the real culprit was overly liberal federal spending in Bush's first term. Not counting the war and domestic security, the president still increased discretionary federal entitlements on average by almost 9 percent a year -- signing big-ticket items like the No Child Left Behind Act and a Medicare prescription drug bill. The president did not veto a single spending proposal.

So how does a big-government Democrat score points against a president who outpaced Bill Clinton 3 to 1 in increasing the rate of federal spending?

Democrats have tried the ``tax cuts for the wealthy'' approach. But, then, how is it that almost every American got some tax relief -- and that most in the upper brackets still pay over 50 percent of their salaries when federal, state, local and payroll taxes are considered altogether? Furthermore, unemployment and interest rates remain low, while consumer spending and the gross domestic product soar.

The Democrats face the same sort of dilemma in regard to Iraq, even though the war is currently unpopular. They are not traditional Charles Lindbergh isolationists who want to stay home. To their credit, most aren't grim realists who believe we should worry only how thugs abroad treat us, rather than how they treat their own.

So, privately, Democrats concede that, while going to war may have been naive or widely idealistic, it was not done simply out of self-interest.

And since gas prices skyrocketed after Iraq, Democrats can hardly use ``No Blood For Oil'' sloganeering. Since Israel got out of Gaza, so much for any claims of a surrogate war for Israel. And since U.S. troops left Saudi Arabia, so much for the argument the administration is after perpetual hegemony in the oil-rich Persian Gulf.

We can best understand the Democratic dilemma on both domestic and foreign issues by looking at growing criticism from the president's conservative base. For those on the hard right, he is getting uncomfortably liberal and idealistic -- in other words, acting too much like a Democrat.

At home, many supply-siders and libertarians charge he is a big spender who is deluded for thinking the federal government can solve social problems by throwing more money at them.

Abroad, paleo-conservatives like Pat Buchanan think Bush is a neoconservative imperialist, and realists like George Bush Sr.'s national security adviser, Brent Scowcroft, allege he is a dreamy idealist.

But as George W. Bush oddly seems to be doing many things a Democrat might have done, his base supporters stay with him. They see progress in Iraq (a war most Democrats in Congress once voted for). They know that the economy is strong and that the deficit is starting to decline. And they have nowhere to go anyway.

So, what are the flummoxed Democrats faced with? They're demanding peace, but have no real future peace candidate. Democrats praise Pennsylvania Congressman John Murtha's courage, but don't vote to follow his lead. They talk withdrawal, but neither offer a timetable nor cut off war funding.

If Karl Rove has copied former Clinton adviser Dick Morris' playbook, then the frustrated Democrats of the House and Senate in turn have modeled themselves after the crabby contrarian Republican Congress of 1998 -- and we all know who ultimately won that showdown.

Meanwhile the economy keeps chugging along, the Iraqis keep voting, and the exasperated Democrats keep digging.

One thing more, the most famous propagandist of all time Tokoyo Rose had 4 themes that were consistant in her broadcasts to demoralise our troops,
1. Your president is lying  to you
2. You can not win
3. You are in the war for corperate profits
4. You are criminals
Guess the Dems do learn from history, but to compare our prisons to gulags is irresposible and a misjustice to the millions that died there, but hey if you can get a brownie point go ahead. Someone please tell me the name of 1 person who has lost a civil liberty in the last 6 years.
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2005, 4:31pm by Mattchew » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss