Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:21pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « So So Sad »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   So So Sad
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: So So Sad  (Read 3864 times)
alchemy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

get out of my head

Email

Re: So So Sad
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 7:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i think i didn't preent my point very well. i thought it was a shame that so many cops were shooting at the guy. the numbers alone present danger to other cops and bystandes. as someone asked what would i do if someone with a knife was in my hous4e he would die. i've been stabbed once don't care to be again. i just thought it was overkill.    crazy jim
IP Logged
stevegeebe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #26 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 8:26am »

How's the crime up there in Wetbrook Maine?

We are exporting thugs...want some?

Steve G

IP Logged
deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #27 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:07am »

on Dec 30th, 2005, 7:25am, alchemy wrote:
i thought it was a shame that so many cops were shooting at the guy.

Why?  They were trying to contain the man so he could NOT hurt someone else or possibly take a hostage.  

on Dec 30th, 2005, 7:25am, alchemy wrote:
the numbers alone present danger to other cops and bystandes.  

Why?  They were trying to contain what was obvious a very dangerous individual who posed a GREAT risk to the public at large.

There was a case up here awhile back that is almost a carbon copy of this one.  The ONLY difference being that they did use the shotgun with beanbags.  Guess what?  It didn't phase him, he kept on coming.  He'd also been hit with pepper spray.  Guess what?  It didn't phase him, he kept on coming.  Needless to say, he was shot and killed.

I agree with PL259 about *shoot to kill*.  I, too, was raised with a gun in my hand and my daddy always taught me that you don't *shoot to wound somebody*, you shoot to kill.  If you *shoot to disable/wound*, you are still giving them the chance to get up and come after you.  A good friend of mine and her husband taught courses on using guns.  What they taught their students was....you empty your weapon into the target, keep you weapon in your hand and then you run like hell to safety.  

If someone's actions put me or mine in harm's way, they best kiss their ass goodbye and make peace with their maker, because that will be their next stop.

'darlin
IP Logged

If it weren't for the gutter, y mind would be homeless.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v123/tribander_3/

You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work.

TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 9:35am »

on Dec 30th, 2005, 9:07am, deltadarlin wrote:
... my daddy always taught me that you don't *shoot to wound somebody*, you shoot to kill. ..'darlin

Several of my years in the Coast Guard were in Law Enforcement. The rule of thumb was "Use all force necessary to compel compliance." You always shoot to kill and nothing less. That's the law of law enforcement. When I draw a weapon on you, that is my warning shot; next one is in your chest. If you hear me rack my 12 Ga., you'd better stop what you are doing.  
TomM
IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #29 on: Dec 30th, 2005, 10:53am »

I'd like to just add abouts the thoughts of overkill here but can only draw from witnessed experiences.
  Many police may nowadays use 9mm's.  I believe the bullets are less than 100 grains, so clips are big because of that.  I have seen once someone keep coming with eight 9mm shots in them.  I've seen a black bear which had emerged from a den, deathly angry, keep coming with thirteen shots in him from 30-30's, a 300 Savage, and a .35 Marlin.
  There are different preferences for handguns, I would not use a 9mm.  The .38 Special makes a 200 grain bullet, knockdown power.  If they still make them, the .41 magnum had a 240, going by memory from 35 years ago.  Knockdown power is important.  There are of course preferences but too much kickback concerns me.  
  Sorry to bring up a morbid aspect but the very small grained bullets, which may have been used, might have been a factor.  If I was forced to employ one in this instance, yes, I would near empty my clip.  
  One other note, I know the policemen did not want to have to shoot, and for them, I feel sorry.
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2005, 11:26am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss