Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 4:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How long can you go without sleep? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   How long can you go without sleep?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How long can you go without sleep?  (Read 891 times)
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I've had amnesia for as long as I can remember!

How long can you go without sleep?
« on: Dec 13th, 2004, 10:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This cycle started Nov 3rd.  I get 3 hits a nite each lasting 35 minutes.  I have had 1 pf nite since then.  This lack of sleep is really beginning to get to me.  I can't take any meds so I'm fighting the beast on my own.  I work a 10 hour day, five days a week.  I haven't missed any work yet, but I'm beginning to get a bit irritable and I'm tired much of the time.
If I try to take a nap during the day on my days off and sleep more than 90 minutes, I get a hit.  I'm beginning to think someone up there doesn't like me.  Any suggestions?

The Old Man
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

Re: How long can you go without sleep?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 10:59pm »

Melatonin is a standard thing to try.
I learned to sleep an hour at a time too.
That way, I don't hit the REM phase.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 11:10pm »

Unfortunately melatonin hasn't worked for me.  I tried it in various doses for 6 days and it had no effect.  Maybe this cycle will end soon and then there'll be no problem.
Right now I just hate the thought of going to bed and have the beast have his way with me all nite long.  If I can hold off until around midnite, I may only get 2 hits instead of 3.  I usually get up around 5.

The Old man
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 11:15pm »

I'd be winding up the alarm clock then.
It took some practice, and there isn't any dreaming, but it's less pain.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
CC2004
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
New_Zealand 

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 10:23pm »

You will adjust better I promise - Im into my 7th week this time (28 year history) waking all through the night - 2-3 weeks ago I was a complete wreck, absolutely exhausted and terrified of going to sleep but Im coping better now.  However unlike Vig I cant avoid the REM wakes - I nearly always get woken 40-60 minutes after going to sleep - no avoiding it.  Any rest triggers an attack - 6-8 times a day. I havent tried melatonin but have just started on magnesium and water treatment and have some hope ...???  Will try melatonin  
Good luck - take care & stay strong
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 18th, 2004, 1:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

During my horrible trial with Keppra ... I had the most terrible nightmares, constantly....over and over. I was a total basketcase! I stayed awake for 7 straight days, Not even a wink of sleep. Ended up hospitalized getting DHE. Never do Keprra again !!  Lips Sealed

Unsolved
IP Logged
Jonny

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 3:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Dec 13th, 2004, 10:26pm, the_old_man wrote:
  lasting 35 minutes.  

Consider your self lucky old dude.

Dancing for 35 is a walk in the park. Grin
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 7:21am »

With the Melatonin, it takes a few "weeks" to start working. Or that was my experience. Once it did, I could sleep thru the night until about 4 a.m.  I get my wake up call then. I take 3 3mg at night before bed and it's helped me a lot. Not quite so tired anymore.

Have you tried O2 at the first sign?  

Also (and you can't do this often because of rebounds) take 3 Extra Stength Excedrin with a strong cup of coffee. Sometimes that will abort mine if I get to them before they hit a 6.  

Good luck...

Hugs BD

IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

CC2004
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
New_Zealand 

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 2:29pm »

on Dec 19th, 2004, 3:05am, Jonny wrote:

Dancing for 35 is a walk in the park. Grin

Not if you're doing it without meds!

Why cant you take meds old man?

Have you tried heat - works for me to ease and slow onset and I think to keep levels going quite so high.

Have you tried water or magnesium?

Ive been pretty much PF 4 days - have been taking magnesium and been on water treatment I understand the water works for some who arent on preventative meds - I wasnt and it is working.  Dont think it could have been the mag to work so fast.  I found this site 4 days ago and began drinking heaps of water that evening - slept for 5 hours and only a small hit on waking - didnt dare hope, but Ive had no real attacks since, but still shadows/neck pain and opposite side pain - all a lovely breeze in comparison.

Also, for med-free relief, you might try gulping heaps of water on onset and during attack?  I read that but havent needed to try it

Let us know how you're doing
PFDANs
CC
IP Logged
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 3:31pm »

Hey CC

Can't take meds because of heart problems.  Working on that though.  I've been taking magnesium and potassium for a week now.  Water???  What exactly do you mean?  I'll drink a bath tub full if it'll help.  Melatonin doesn't work.  For some reason I had a pf nite last night, but woke with k3 shadows and had them all day long.  At least I slept...and you're right.    35 minute hits are no walk in the park without meds.  3 per nite at k7-9 still hurts like hell.  Yeah, I'm thankful they don't last longer.

The Old Man
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 11:37pm »

Aw man 10minutes 30minites 60minites it all sucks. I have at times had the meds tank on me and not work. Take all I can and pass out. That sucks CH sucks. Thats what makes us special. Hang in there old man. You can do it. Having to work puts the extra pressure on when you been bangin the head all night. O2 maybe....the melatonin..don't hurt to try it all ....beats the alternative.
BB
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 1:54am »

Old Man, bbz & CC  

You owe it to yourself to try 02 at the first opportunity.  There is plenty of information here to copy and take to your doc supporting oxygen as an abortive for CH.  For those of us it works for (70% ? - might be off here, but those that know will let you know) it's truly wonderful.  Have knocked the bastard out three times this evening within 10-15 min..  If I can wake quick enough during the night, I can kill him without getting out of bed (02 within reach).  If he gets a good grip, it takes longer and I frequently have to do 2-3 "treatments" before I get relief ("dancing" during the breaks) . . . . . . but sooooo much better than before.
  Besides heat, exercise and coffee, 02 is my only abortive.
  My preventative is Verapamil 120mg morning and evening.  Melatonin 6mg before retiring.  Water/water/water.

Be safe,

PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
CC2004
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
New_Zealand 

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 1:17pm »

on Dec 19th, 2004, 3:31pm, the_old_man wrote:
Hey CC

Water???  What exactly do you mean?  I'll drink a bath tub full if it'll help.  

The Old Man

Water water water!  Drink a glass every half hour, at least hourly.  Apparently there can be some issues with too much (depleting salts, not sure what else) so talk to doctor, but I dont imagine hourly could hurt.  Ive been doing 1 glass per hour from waking, then half hourly from 6pm until bed - had 4 days & nights PF.
BUT last night they're back - got hit 1 hour after bed, then 2 more, and another after getting up that Ive just got over.  
So I dont know shit!
But - I had 4 relatively PF days & nights with it, I dont think it could have been coincidence
So I will continue with water water water, and yes thanks Richard, will be in touch with my doctor today to get OXYGEN

(only thing different yesterday was that I worked, Im fortunate I am an artist and work for myself)

Try the water old man, it cant hurt and if you just get a night or two relief that will be good for you, just wish I could report more positively on it!
IP Logged
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 1:33pm »

I've tried the 02 and it doesn't work for me.  I'm just one of those strange ones where nothing seems to work...and yet...last nite was my second PF nite in a row.  Cycle over?  I hope so.  I'll try the water.  Can't hurt.

The Old Man
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:04am »

Hey old man!! Glad you got some rest. Nothing works is not strange. The O2 is a blessing but it has to be administered properly. I had to read the O2 link and it worked better for a while . The demon has a way of getting around therapies. I have to switch up and change alot. Again glad you got some rest.
BB
Hey RichardN...been there done that. Thanks anyway.
BB
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2004, 12:06am by thebbz » IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
the_old_man
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 7:43am »

Rest...blessed rest.  Those 2 pf nites were it I guess.  Got 3 really heavy hits last nite.

The Old Man
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 1:05am »

For the nightime hits, you really should try the Melatonin.   It's a sleep aid....and I do believe that it changes your sleep pattern.   I have had very good results with the Melatonin.  I also take Magnesium.  

Nothing is fool proof....the beast is too damn smart.  However, Melatonin has given me some PF time, that I wouldn't have had without it.  Sometimes, the CH breaks thru, but even 2 or 3 nites PF is good.

Lots of luck,

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
CC2004
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
New_Zealand 

« Reply #17 on: Dec 22nd, 2004, 1:58pm »

on Dec 22nd, 2004, 1:05am, TxBasslady wrote:
  I have had very good results with the Melatonin.  I also take Magnesium.  
Jean

hi Jean - what are your thoughts on magnesium?
I had 4 PF days & nights, then hit 2 nights, then PF last night and this feels different, better.  Ive been on mag & water for 6 days, maybe the mag is kicking in?

"Rest...blessed rest.  Those 2 pf nites were it I guess.  Got 3 really heavy hits last nite.  
The Old Man"

Dont lose hope old man - are you on the water?

take care & wishing us all PFDANs  
CC
IP Logged
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 5:34pm »

GrinThis has been my basic pattern for 35 years, after the 3rd attack I just stay up, average 1 1/2 to 2 hours sleep a night, for some reason laying down and putting pressure on the neck sets off my attacks almost faster than anything.
 As far as total sleep depravation, I stayed awake for 8 days straight when I was in the Hospital back in April, out of concern they put me on a high dose of Trazadone, which helped me shut down for a few hours, I stayed in for only 10 days and left the staff scratching their heads as to how I could function with no sleep.
quit all meds except verapamil for BP and back to 8 to 10 hits a day now.   Pappy
IP Logged
Mr.YL
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #19 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 1:00am »

Shucks................................
OK so the wethier was not good at Davcon...
Back to the sbject... SLEEP...is the utmost importance in survival,  along with the 357 ok... ok how long can one go with out it , well that depends on the individual. I myself have been tested a few times,  if you take 4  weeks of this sleep thing,and close your eyes and finally get into that sweet spot , the internal timer over here goes off within 28 to 32 minutes ... eyes become wide open, the piercing knife through the right side of the skull and suffers know the rest of the story...And  then the Dr. ask  (could you tell me again what it feels like)
So how do others do it ? beats me . 4 weeks awake and when I dare shut the ole eyes and knowing that in 28-32 min whats gonna happen...YUK...
I go for the water thing and it helps as long as it is good clean watter . LOW ON NITRATES>>>look it up//
Blasted Beast...take care ....all of you... Mr.YL
IP Logged

keep livin clean...
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #20 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 4:24am »

I don't fuction that well without sleep... I am okay, if I even at least 2 hours... Sure, I am irritated and tired, but I can do what I have to. But with no sleep whatsoever, I turn into this zombie, who really has to watch out as my reactions are very slow and I forget things. My motoristics are gone...

Wishing you PFnights,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #21 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 4:52am »

My last stretch of insomnia, and my longest yet, lasted 5 days.  I was actually functioning fairly well, taking care of a sick wife and a sick grand baby.

It's now almost 4:00am, soooo...

Hope I'm not working on setting a new personal record.
IP Logged
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #22 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:01am »

I can't function and am a complete zombie after 48 hours straight of no sleep...and I need at least 5 hours a night of sleep to feel normal (oh wait, what's normal again?)  Grin

Langa
IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:24am »

If I can snatch 4 hours of sleep every 48 hours, I am somewhat functional. The longest I've ever been without ANY sleep, is 94 hours, (in combat) and that got downright surreal. I would blink, and literally, have a dream.
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
Night_Zombie
New Board Junior
Ireland 

If u obey all the rules, u miss all the fun......

Email

« Reply #24 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 11:40am »

I just try and get a bit of sleep when I can, but not much Sad  As my name says. I dont find much works that helps but still looking, sucks that you cant take meds and that 02 dont work,you should try ice packs also,may help??? Hope u have a pain-free sleep soon.
IP Logged

love and hugs xxx
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss