Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 3:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Want info on melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Want info on melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Want info on melatonin  (Read 975 times)
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Want info on melatonin
« on: Jan 12th, 2005, 6:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am desperate 3rd night with the beast and I have had enough.  My cycles before where one day on one day off but this time it seems to have changed.  I know some have said about taking melatonin and I wanted to get some recent  input  about how much to take and if or not it has been helpful.  I am finally going to see a neuro on Mon - I have usually just dealt with the pain but this year my oldest is in school and it is effecting her and I will not allow this to continue!!  I am hoping for help of some sort and praying that this dr on Mon will be able to offer this.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Want info on melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 6:53pm »

Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.  

good luck!  

E.  
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Langa
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

So many donuts, such little time...

« Reply #2 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 8:02pm »

9 mg of Melatonin 1/2 hr before bedtime combined with Benadryl stopped the night-time hits for me completely.

Good luck.

Langa  

IP Logged

When you saw only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 8:42pm »

Ditto to Langa,

9mg Melatonin and 25mg Benedryl seemed to work well for me.  But I caution - I was also on Verapamil as a prevent.  Be sure to get the other meds you need - preventatives and abortives (oxygen or Imitrex injects are best).

Best wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 9:02pm »

thanks everyone for the info!  at this point I will try anything especially since I am feeling that something wierd going on in my head - I fear that I will get hit again tonight.  I must wait until Mon when I see the doc to get meds or something (hopefully he will have background with CH) Thanks again E., Langa, and Kris!
IP Logged
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 10:23am »

So I took 9mg last night - I went to bed and I woke up several times because I felt the shadows haunting me and I could only wonder if the beast was going to wake me up but the beast never really got to me.  The shadows are still there and again I did not feel well enough to take my daughter to school so my husband had to do mommy duties but I was able to sleep (sort of) and to that I am grateful.  I will take it again tonight and see what happen. Thank you
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 10:49am »

Try mixing in some "time-release" melatonin also.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 11:07am »

Guesst,
I did not see any of this at the drug stores?  If I find it should I take it like others have suggested 9mg about 1/2 hour before bed?  Let me know and thanks for the input!
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 1:23pm »

Take about 3-6 mgs of regular melatonin, and 2-4 mgs of time releas together, it really helped me sleep the whole night through.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 2:25pm »

GET SOME OXYGEN!

You must have an abortive! . . . . to keep the bastard from hitting the high KIP levels.

I currently use 6mg Melatonin to good effect I believe, and may increase to 9mg.  240mg Verapamil is my preventative and I credit Verap for keeping them to a manageable level (most under a KIP 5) that I can kill with the 02.

PFDANs.

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 10:48pm »

Guesst and Richard thanks for the info - I will try the 9mg again tonight and see what happens?  I will also see if I find the time released melatonin.  Neuro appt is on for Monday so I just need something to get me thru till then.
IP Logged
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 7:25pm »

Last night was not good - got hit twice 1st time kip 6 & 2nd time kip 8.  I didn't get hit till about 5am so I got some rest before that.  I will continue to take my 9mg and hope for a better night.  I am so over this and its only week 2.   Sad
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 8:42pm »

Hang in there!

Just be sure your doc gives you the other meds you need.  That would include an abortive like oxygen or Imitrex injectibles and a preventative like Verapamil (or other Calcium-channel blocker).  A Prednisone taper will sometimes help knock out the CH until preventatives have time to work.  Check out this link if you need some info to take with you:

http://www.future-drugs.com/admin/articlefile/ERN020304.PDF

Be Well,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 9:58pm »

Kris, thanks for your support and advise!  I had a good night even though I woke up feeling a little off (that's the best way to explain) I did sleep.  I think the melatonin might be dragging me down but I rather that then being in pain.  Thanks again.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 10:02pm »

For some of us it takes a little while to reach an effective point......It took me about a week......First few days was still getting hit...even waking up too groogy to find my tank but after I acclimated I have been pretty much sleeping through the night since the end of July with the exception of 5-6 times.

I even gave myself a bit of a break from it for a few weeks in December. Back on it now.

Good luck!

E.
IP Logged

Space in-between them
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 10:40pm »

E. Thanks for replying - I am not going to give up on the melatonin because I do feel it has helped some.  The night I got hit the worst I woke up about 3am (because of the kids) and when I went back to sleep thats when I got hit.  I think the waking up had something to do with it but who knows?  I am feeling groggy when I wake up but that might be from lack of sleep or melatonin?  Everything seems to be a big ??  Is it lack of sleep or melatonin?  Was it the dairy I drank or the kids?  Who the hell knows and when I think I do it seems to change?  I need to remember one day at a time...  sorry to vent - thanks!
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 3:21am »

The first couple nights I took the Melatonin, I slept more than I ever have, I think.

It's a great med for those of us who have the nightime hits.   Of course, not everything works for all.   But for the price in comparison to the triptan's, it's certainly worth it.

You can expect the CH to break thru sometimes, but taken on a daily basis, it will give you some PF time.  

Good luck, hope you get some rest.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 9:47am »

Don't give up!
It appears that for most of us that use it, things to get better and eventually you will have full night sleeps.  

Good luck Smiley
IP Logged

Space in-between them
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 10:11am »

We second adding in the time-release variety, there are several who use it that way and are able to sleep through the night.
When you see the neuro, ask for o2, and a non-rebreather mask . . . (read all the o2 info over there <---------on the left, maybe print it out and take it with you . . .
Anyway, good luck in your battle.
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
toolong
New Board Veteran
USA 

Looking for an answer

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 12:38pm »

Learning things from this site I tried 9 mg Melatonin 1/2 hour before sleep along with 15 ltrs 02 for 15 min.It kicks butt for nocturnal CH.I know nothing works the same for everyone but this sure helps me.Good luck.Have a PF day! GrinDavid
IP Logged

Hey,watch this!I saw it on a cartoon and I think it might work!
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #20 on: Jan 16th, 2005, 10:47pm »

I am also interested in Melatonin for my next go round. But I am worried about depression and grogginess from it. Anyone know about possible side effects?  I have to go to work. I had a recent very bad reaction to Topamax and almost committed suicide. Went psycho from that med. That never happened to me before. I take a calcium channel blocker called sibeillim which already gives me some depression don't want to add more.  Angry I am sorry you are suffering so much at present. My kids grew up with this with me and they have suffered as well. My heart is going out to you.  Cry
IP Logged
athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 1:00pm »

So yesterday was the worst hit I can remember - I was in pain for what seemed like an eternity. I lost it to the point I felt  I had to slap myself to try and snap out of it and try to compose myself again.  That did not last because my hubby came and put a stop to that but then I felt like an anxiety attack or something?  I felt that I could not breath and asked him to open the door to the bathroom where I was in and that made me feel better.  This all happened after about an hour or so of pain - I think I just could not take it?  It eventually all passed and the shadow stayed with me till I went to sleep.  Bad Bad Day!!  
I continue to take the melatonin and last night was a good night! I think the melatonin is helping me get more hours sleep before I get hit  (before I would get hit at 2am now I can sleep till 5am).  Rickyshot  - I am not sure about the depression side effect of melatonin but the tired effect I feel is manageable.  Yes, I do feel tired but I can continue on with my daily routine.  See what others post about it but it has helped me (some) and this is only my 5th day on it.     Thanks to all for the good vibes!
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 9:03pm »

athome - so sorry for your bad time

I credit the Melatonin with getting me more sleep - last night was PF - I'm using 6mg per night.......but, I also take Verapamil as preventative and use 02 as abortive.

Personally, I would be too afraid (and I mean that literally) to use [i][/i]only Melatonin.  My worst attacks are memories I do not wish to duplicate.  

For your sake, [u][/u]please push your doc for 02 (and high-flo regulator with non-rebreather mask - he will have to specify for med equip supply co) as abortive.  If it works, you will be kicking yourself for enduring unnecessary pain

Wishing you a PF night.

Richard
IP Logged

athome
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 17th, 2005, 11:21pm »

Richard I went to dr today (I posted it not a good experience) I did get a Rx for oxygen! I went to the med supply with the info I got from this site - so I am ready and keeping my fingers crossed that this will abort the beast.  I know that I have put up with this pain long enough but before I don't think the pain was as intense as it is now or maybe my tolerance for pain was higher or maybe I was just so young that I did not let it get to me??  Who knows - I am just looking for something to get me thru this cycle and allow me to return to a normal life.  Thanks!!
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 18th, 2005, 12:03am »

Does that mean you have at hand?

Used it yet?

Don't try and see how much (pain) you can take before you use it.  At KIP 2-3, I'll hit it 8-10 lpm til it's almost gone, then down to 6 for complete kill and a few minutes more to help prevent a rebound.  If I wake with a KIP 4-5, it's 12-15 lpm till kilt . . .and back to sleep.  

Got my fingers crossed for you,

Richard
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss