Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 9:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Just need support »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Just need support
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Just need support  (Read 956 times)
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

Just need support
« on: Jan 28th, 2005, 12:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi to everyone . I have not been here in a fews days. I am not doing well at all. By the way I am going to tell you all that i am not holding up very well. I am a single father of a 13 year old boy . He is my life . I am so ashamed now and do not know what to do . FOR the last 6 days I am a little baby . I am getting hit with k10 every 3 hours to say the least. I can not STOP myself from rolling all over the floor . crying . begging the lord to help me . banging my head  .pacing the house /screaming help please help. I am having the worst time in the 18 years of ch that i have ever had . I for now would not mine death . It would be a good thing for me . My son is so worried he doesnot want to go anywhere .school or to play . I just need someone to understand . I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE GOOD SUPPORTERS BECAUSE I HAVE NO ONE . I LIVE ALONE IN MY OWN FUCKED  UP WORLD . I LOVE EVERYONE LATER
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Just need support
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 12:35pm »

Hi tom...you have supporters...your son and us. I'm sorry you're having such a bad time. What are you using to medicate these? Are you taking any prevents or using abortives? If you haven't already, see a dr asap and get something started. Use the PF times to reconnect with your son and assure him that although CH is horribly painful...you'll be allright. The pain will stop eventually. Thank him for his support and encourage him to go on living his own life. I hope things improve for you soon... hug and pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 12:41pm »

Tom, BIG hugs.  First of all, you do have supporters.  You have all of us.  There is always someone here, 24/7, if you need to talk.

What are you using for meds, Tom?  Even if you're not on any meds, there are some things you can try.  If you can figure out how to calm yourself down during an attack, that's HUGE in the battle.  Easier said than done, I know, but...think about it.  If you get upset, your blood pressure raises and so, therefore, does your pain level.  My husband has learned this lesson the hard way, trust me.  He uses an icebag on the back of his neck at the onset of an attack, and this honestly does help him to stay calm.  
Breathing pure oxygen is not only a great abortive, it also forces you to sit relatively still and concentrate on breathing normally, thereby keeping you calm.
One thing you could do for your son is to get him here on the website.  There are lots of us supporters here with children and we can help him cope, too.
My heart just aches for you - cluster just invades you and your family's life, doesn't it?  Sad
Please, keep talking.  Remember, death is not an option here.  When you feel like you're running out of rope, always remember that we've got an endless supply here, ok?  Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.  Got it?  
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 12:52pm »

I am taking all the meds that we all use verapamil /neurontin /imitrex /melatonin an 02 with no releif . I just can not seem to get a handle on things oh i just got back with from the doctor with prednisone just took my first dose. PLEASE PREDNISONE HELP . THANKS TO ALL LOVE YALL
IP Logged
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 1:10pm »

HERE IT COMES AGAIN BE BACK SOON 45MINS
IP Logged
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 1:53pm »

I am back they last for about 42mins . That was about a k7 ok k8 I will be so glad to say goodby to that beast!!!
IP Logged
EmpressJMB
New Board Veteran
USA 

No Brain, No Headache

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 1:54pm »

Vibes and prayers coming your way Tom.  Hope the pain eases.  hug J.
IP Logged

...sometimes at night I think I understand. Brother to brother, man to man, face to face, hand to hand, the shadow dance that never ends. Shadow boxing the silent war within...yet again. Weir/Barlow
WifeofCHSuffer
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 2:00pm »

Tom,

So sorry to hear that no meds are helping but the pred.  I hope it stops the cycle quick for you and you can reconnect with your son and get the doc on board to change some of your meds.  That is just awful you have deal with this and your son does not have a single place to go, poor kid.  Like the others said we are here for you, stay strong and things will get better quick for you.  

Please keep posting, we are here for you!!!!
IP Logged

Wife of CH sufferer. Supporter and mother of two children.
dagger
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 2:08pm »

Hi Tom - what dose of pred are you taking?  My doctor started me too low (20mg/daily) and I was experiencing no relief unless I took imitrex.  Then my dose got upped to 60mg/daily and it did help somewhat.  You might check on that.  So sorry for what you are dealing with.  Just keep reminding yourself that it will end! (unless you are chronic, I suppose.)  Hang in there, I know it's hard.

dagger
IP Logged
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 2:26pm »

For the pred. I AM DOING THAT 6 5mg per day thing stepping down to one then i guess none 6/5/4/3/2/1/ that is what the doc gave me today . what do you think
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 2:30pm »

as much as I hate pred, that will give you a break Tom.  Know that it will come back when you're done your taper though.  So, now's the time to get that verapamil into your system.  You probably need to be at least at 480mgs a day to get any real effect from it (as long as you don't have low blood pressure).  What dose are you on?

And, are you using O2 correctly?  Non-rebreather mask and flow rate higher than 8 litres per minute?

wait...you're only doing 5mgs of pred a day for 6 days?  Is that what you mean?  Or are you doing 6, 5mg doses a day then dropping one dose a day....?  30mgs is about half of what they gave my hubby for his pred taper.  I'm pretty sure he stepped up to 60mgs then started to taper down again.  His was a 17 day burst though.  How long are you supposed to stay on it?
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2005, 2:32pm by Margi » IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
BigRick
New Board Newbie
USA 

Please remove the axe

« Reply #11 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 2:44pm »

Tom you are not alone everybody on this site is concerned.I am a single father of an 11 year old son,so we have alot in common.When Im that bad with the CHs I try and think of the good times ahead with my son.
As far as the prednisone it sounds like this is the time to be on them.Your doses sound a little weak to me.My Dr cycles me 100mg then 90mg,etc.,when I get to 30mg the headaches come back.I dont know how much you weigh(im 6ft3in 240lb)but since you're having such a rough time maybe you can call your Dr. and get a bigger dose to get through this.Good luck my friend.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2005, 2:47pm by BigRick » IP Logged
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 3:18pm »

Back to the pred. I am only taking six 5mg the 1st day (today) then five an so on until none that will be in 5 days . DOES NOT SOUND LIKE THAT IS ENOUGH . I only 5ft 10 in weighing in at 160 .
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 3:37pm »

Hi Tom,

They will slow down eventually. You're probably just at the peak of the cycle right now. Do you have Imitrex injections ? I tried everything under the sun and nothing ever worked for me until I found Imitrex injections. They saved my life. Pills don't work fast enough. Also do you have 02 ? It doesn't completely abort for me, but it usually a least keeps the KIP level from maxing out.

Hang in there dude, you will make it through this.

VIBES....
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 5:29pm »

Hey Tom,

Been where you are too damn many times. This MB was my lifeline - stay on it.  

Have you ever gone in for DHE IVs? This will stop them for a while. But it's usually best to go in the hospital for the IVs. My insurance wasn't worth a darn and I got visiting nurses to come every 8 hours and do the IVs. They just left a hep lock in. The last time I had the nurses it cost about $800, but it broke the cycle.

But do check on the DHE - it's bad stuff, but it works.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

BigRick
New Board Newbie
USA 

Please remove the axe

« Reply #15 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 5:44pm »

on Jan 28th, 2005, 3:18pm, Tom_Thumb wrote:
Back to the pred. I am only taking six 5mg the 1st day (today) then five an so on until none that will be in 5 days . DOES NOT SOUND LIKE THAT IS ENOUGH . I only 5ft 10 in weighing in at 160 .

You're taking 30mg then 25mg etc.,that sounds to little to me.I've heard of people taking 60mg for 3 days then start to taper down.I asked my Dr. about my large doses(starting at 100mg then taper down 10mg a day)and he said since I was a big guy and I was having multiples at the time he was dosing me that much.
From my own experience I just dont see that small amount doing anything for you.You should be taking 60mg a day for three days then taper down.Either this guy gets his dosage right or you need to find another Dr.
IP Logged
jillybean
New Board Newbie
USA 

supporters unite!

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 7:26pm »

Tom,

I'm sorry you are suffering so.

It's scary for kids. I have three boys. But you know, we talk when things are calm. They are more resilient than you think.

It does no good to feel guilty about what you cannot control either. (Easy enough to say. Been there.)

Best way to care for him is to take the good advice here and get yourself better.

pfdan

Jill
IP Logged

Sorry we have to meet like this......
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 8:48pm »

Tom,

Like the others, I think your pred dosage is way too low.

I, like BarbD, find DHE via IV as the best way to stop the beast when things get totally out of control.  I've gone inpatient for a few days for a series of DHE IV's, (a dose every 8 hours) and i've also just gone to the local e.r and received a single DHE via IV dose.   Depending upon the severity of the beast being out of control depends how many doses it takes to break the beast.

I use this as my last resort when all else has failed.

Grab onto the rope that we are holding out to you.  You have LOTS of support here.  Just remember, this will let up and you and your son will have many happy times together.

I'm sending you all the pf vibes I can muster,
Renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

painkiller
New Board Newbie
USA 

just another day in paradise!!!

« Reply #18 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 11:36pm »

Sorry it's so bad Tom... I know what it's like but hang in there. I get them at night mostly and i feel lucky until a week of suffering and no sleep catches up and a trip to the ER is the only relief. Prednisone for me works at breaking my cycle but it's prescribed as so.... 3-20mg tab every am for a week, then 2-20mg tab every am for a week, then 2,  then 1 then 1/2...after the taper i'm usually pf until the next cycle an if i'm no the hits are only k4's which is good since my headaches usually last 1to4 hours. I hope the cycle stops soon...lots of pf days
IP Logged
marcelonyc
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 11:56pm »

Hi Tom,

Your reaching out is really helpful to me. Two cycles ago I was on Prednisone at 60mg for about 3 weeks. My doctor did not taper, but once the dosages ended the c/h crept it's way back and pretty viciously for me. I have not tried o2, but this cycle I am on now, I have been prescribed Lithium 300mg 3x p day for 60 days as well as verapamil, and triptans, and I have had a lot of success. It has made all of the difference in 15 yrs.

The good news with pred is that it worked while i was on it, but I gained a lot of weight, was having rage attacks, and extremely emotional. God bless you for reaching out and remeber your son is your family and will always be. You can not nor can anyone with any illness be blamed for their affliction. One thing this illness has taught me is to respect it, and judging yourself for a difficult situation will only make you feel worse. And in my opinion you deserve a break and some serious recognition that you are doing your best with your family.

Marcelo
IP Logged
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:18am »

I am so glad you all know what the hell is going on in my head . I took 6mg melatonin again tonight at 7:30 to try to get some sleep . BUT every hour i am being hit one behind another it 12:20 and i tried as hell . Got a new tank of 02 today with a new reg. Its goes to 15Ls man that as been a big help . I guess the good is they are on the scale of about 5k to 6k I CAN TAKE THAT . I JUST HOPE THAT DAMN TANK LAST END WEEK OUT !!! LOVE YOU ALL THANKS
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #21 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:34am »

Try to get yourself into a night time routine....(do as I'm saying not doing at the moment.... Wink...usually in bed a lot earlier..another story)

1)Hot steamy shower (once your kid is settled and you can have you time) will feel good on the noggin and relax some of the muscles that take an A$$ whippin.

2)Then Melatonin about 30-45 minutes prior to attempting to laydown to go to sleep for the night....

***Bed  time and Wake up same time every day regardless of having attacks or not....get into a rhythm........***

Hang in ther bro!  

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:34am »

GOT TO GO 12:40AM FUCK IT A BAD ONE 02 HERE I COME
IP Logged
Tom_Thumb
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

fishingwayne42  
Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 12:56am »

I won again only 20mins with 15l of 02 around a k5 . I am going to get my ass kicked some time tonight i think . HE the beast is getting mad .YOU no that hot burning thing that just stays there after it over. Well i am going to try the shower thing it does seem to help me . TALK with you all soon . I pray you all have a good night be back soon until then OUT
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #24 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 3:45am »

hug
I so sorry that you're having hard time with CH. The beast can pick the worst time to come...  Sad

But don't ever forget that you have lots of supporters, who understand you. Right here. Anytime, day or night.  

Lots of good vibes are on your way. And you're in my prayers.  

Wishing you lots of PFdays,
Sandie
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss