Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « hiding headaches? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   hiding headaches?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: hiding headaches?  (Read 443 times)
clusterkat
New Board Newbie
USA 

clusterkat clinging by her claws

vkdoubleu2003@yahoo.com  
Email

hiding headaches?
« on: Jul 30th, 2005, 11:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hay everybody,
im on a vicious cycle right now,
the pain comes & goes,
but never away,
and i try to hide them.
anyone eles hide your attacks?
my maintanance meds have deminished the frenguency,
so know well in advance when im in for it,
but i get so bloody many of them,
that im self conscious about it.
ive totally isolated myself on these cycle benges.
doesnt make for a very happy bride,
when your overwhelmed by pain.
*sighs sadly*
^kat
IP Logged

"top of the pain chain!"
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: hiding headaches?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 12:27pm »

For the most part my attacks are at night so I usually can deal with them on my own.  But this is not always possible because daylight and early evening attacks occur.  

When my children see me getting hit they simply go to their rooms.  Not that I'm nasty to em' or anything because I can't typically say anything during attacks.  I just think they can't stand to watch me go through this.

My wife kinda low profiles it around me until she thinks I'm coming back from the nightmare and will then begin to offer things that will help i.e., tea, towels, ice, etc.

Basically we've developed a routine - Best wishes on developing one of your own.  It's important.  

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 12:38pm »

I hide mine all the time.  I am getting better at it everyday.  Most think I am feeling better and I just let them.  I am tired of aking you have a HA don't you, and I just say I am ok.  

Kips have been in the 4-5 range most days and survivable.  I take Verap. at night so I sleep fairly well.  Wake and then grab for the coffee and do ok.

I am sorry that you are having such a ruff time. hug  Hey when do you get married?    

PF vibes and wishes to the bride to be.....Kim
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 6:09pm »

HI Kat, nice too meet you....  

I know where you are coming from, I get 90% of my attacks at 1am & 3am, so I get out of bed, grab my ammo (TREX, Ice, Cold Water & Ciggs) and head for the bathroom. This kinda upsets my wife, but she understands that I do not want to be seen or have anyone see me while I am under attack. I basically do the same thing during the day at Work or Home, I just stay away until the BEAST takes a nap.

In the last week I have made my Wife (Sassy_Lady - Jolene) & my Son sit down and read all the post here about "What the BEAST is" & "What we CHer's feel" & "What the Supporter's do" it has done wonders for them to understand what the entire family is dealing with under our roof.

I suggest that your Boyfriend/Husband spend some time here, get to understand what CH is and the people it effects. I do not want to sound Negative, but this Effcects your WHOLE family not just you.  

I always thought this was all about me and I had to deal with it alone, I WAS WRONG !!!!

Now I know that there is always someone here, first of all, I am not alone, the lights are always on here 24/7/365.

The people here have givin me & my wife the support and advise on how we can get through this togeather as a family.  

Hang around, post some messages and get to know a few people here, you will not regreat it. Its nice to have extended family who really does understand what is going on in your life. Someone here has been there or is there, and may be able to help you or vice-versa.

OK enough from me...Read, Read, & Read more..  

PFDAN's to You !!!  

Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30th, 2005, 7:27pm »

Hi Kat,

Charlie's right.  We all try to hide our headaches when in cycle, but at the same time we need our supporters to understand and be there for us.

When I'm in cycle, CHA's rule my life.  Yes, I become isolated, but only in the respect that I plan my daily activities around when I know I'll get hit.  (Thus far, I'm pretty consistent at 2 PM and 9 PM.  Goodbye social life for 12 weeks!  I become a hermit.  Thank goodness for self-employment!

Except you can't be a total hermit when you live with people who love you.  My husband and daughter were reluctant at first, but began lurking around the board for awhile last cycle at my encouragement.  They are now more knowledgeable and supportive than ever.

Rather than hide your HA's, encourage your significant others to learn about them.  That goes for co-workers and bosses, as well.  The more they learn, the less you'll have to hide.

Many Hugs.  Keep Posting.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 2:53am »

Hang in there Kat.

True what Tom, Charlie and Kris said.

Nobody with CH can be very sociable during a period.  Don't beat yourself up as we all live with enough guilt and frustration not being all we want to be for our loved ones.

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Topical
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 7:27am »

I can't hide them completely. I managed to lower my moaning to a conversational level instead of screaming. Hiding it completely is very hard to do. I stare down at the ground and will walk off to be alone should I be out in public. (Luckily that happens very rarely.)  

Like Kris, I turn into a bit of hermit unfortunately. Sad
IP Logged
no-one
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

aude sapere        cogito ergo         disce pati

beckyulissi   Becku22

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 8:49am »

((((((((((((((((( Kat))))))))))))))))))

I am the best at hiding. I am chronic so I have them all the time. I can't always get away when I am getting hit,  I can't  just get up and walk away from my patients.
I also like to be alone when I am getting hit, But the person you are walking away from, loves you and wants to be there for you (even if there is really nothing they can do to help) I was told that it hurts their feelings that I don't trust them enough to show my pain in front of them. As Tom said you need to develop a routine with them. Talk to your husdand about what you need when you are getting hit- space,massage, ice, heat, water........ what ever it is. Let them do it. I prefer not to be touched most of the time, but there are times that I need someone to push on pressure points for me. And I always like to be held as I am coming down.
So don't run away from him, let him know that you trust and need him even if there is nothing he can do but be there for you.
Hug and Pain Free Wishes
bec
IP Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter....don't mind....And those that mind....don't matter."

Man is what he believes. Anton Chekhov

Unless you believe, you will not understand.
KMT
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Fun loving @ heart

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 9:44am »

Quote:
And I always like to be held as I am coming down.
I like that as well.  I will have to remember to tell my husband that is something he could do for me.  For the most part he help with Trex or O2 or Both gets me comfortable and then goes away to let me battle but comforting after is really nice.  I hate to be alone but also know how hard it is for my husband to see me this way and how helpless he feels so in that sense I welcome him leaving.
IP Logged

aka...................................................... KimY
no-one
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

aude sapere        cogito ergo         disce pati

beckyulissi   Becku22

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 10:06am »

on Jul 31st, 2005, 9:44am, Kim Y. wrote:

I hate to be alone but also know how hard it is for my husband to see me this way and how helpless he feels so in that sense I welcome him leaving.

That is why I use to always try to hide it from him, because I hate to see the pain on his face. But he has told me that he would rather know (he seems to know anyway) then for me try and hide it or for me to go and hide when I am getting hit. They will learn when it is all right to be there or to give you space.  
IP Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter....don't mind....And those that mind....don't matter."

Man is what he believes. Anton Chekhov

Unless you believe, you will not understand.
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 2:05pm »

Its hard to hide, but I try. When I know it's coming, I run. Usually to my bedroom. I tell my husband to keep our son busy so he won't know that I am gone. I hate it when he has to see me going through one. I really feel bad for my husband because I can really turn into a b*tch. Hope you have some relief soon.

Brandi
IP Logged
Kiwiinoz58
New Board Junior
Australia 

Couldn't ya just SCREAM

39601840 39601840   kiwiinoz57  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 31st, 2005, 7:19pm »

I have started hiding too , so know exactly what you mean. My relationship is relatively new and although my partner has been wonderful I can't stand to see his frustration anymore. He tends to say " I feel so helpless not being able to do anything" and I just can't cope with his feelings of inadequecy. Soooo I tend to hide as much as possible now.
Hope the cycle passes quickly Kat, warm hugs to you.
Jacqs
IP Logged

We are here for a good time not a long time. Time then to think outside the square and to give and get the best possibles of love and life.
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 10:57pm »

Even when I try to hide them from my husband my dog rats me out.  She seems to know and attaches herself to my shoulder and "kisses" my head.  He comes in the room and says "yeah, I thought so."  When people are in tune with you it's about impossible to hide them.  Even my kids who are hundreds of miles away seem to know and often call to see if I'm ok.  They "just had a feeling".
So, I don't try so hard to hide them anymore.  My husband takes his cue from me as to what I need whether it be left alone or have my back rubbed.  BUt I always try to manage an appreciative smile ( probably looks more like a grimace to him) and a thank you when it's over.
I am incredibly lucky to have a super-supporter as well as a caring medical team who know my routine and respect my needs.  It allows me to preserve some dignity through each ordeal.
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 11:23pm »

I've hidden them to the point where the eye was tearing with them streaming down my face but I've kept  looking people in the eye stating,  I'm okay.  It was tough. And there are other times that have hit me  when there was no way I could have pulled that off.  I understand the embarrassment.  Embarassed Sorry for the blues too.  I'm with you on that.   Cry  I have found that the people who love you will do anything you need them too.   Wishing you a PF wedding....
IP Logged

Susan
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:59am »

My who family knows when I am getting hit.  i pace and bang my head alot and cry.  My family once it was explained to them by friends hear on ch.com just what I am going through (how it feels physically) and that I cant focus or concentrate.  I can't do housework etc.  I had to go off work and onto disability.  My family gets me my meds, ice packs, holds calls, and lets me be alone until its over.  I would highly recomend you communicate what you are going through with your loved ones.  It helps them understand you better.  
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
clusterkat
New Board Newbie
USA 

clusterkat clinging by her claws

vkdoubleu2003@yahoo.com  
Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:34am »

*smiles warmly to the group*
thanx everyone for the support & understanding.
it helps to feel validated,  
this group is a blessing.
my fiance` & family are very loveing & patient,
but the anxiety of ch,
during this joyous time,
has been draining.
it means so much to me,
to be the proper southern  bride,
to the Man of my dreams.
*april 13th, 2006, savannah georgia*
we are to be married after 2 year engagement.
(((hugs)))
^kat
IP Logged

"top of the pain chain!"
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:39am »

I'm jealous Kat,  I too am a southern gal and know the dream.  I'm wishing you and your new life all the best.  The setting in Savannah is awesome!!!  You go girl!!!!
IP Logged

Susan
The_Shadow
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 11:11am »

I can hide it most of the time, but they still will get to the point that there is no hiding them.  

Congrates on the marriage.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss