Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 6:46pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New Treatment??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New Treatment???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Treatment???  (Read 384 times)
WYLIE
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New Treatment???
« on: Aug 4th, 2005, 5:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My first post even though I’ve visited this site for years. I owe many of you! The information I’ve learned has really helped. In fact the Imitrex tip probably saved my career. Mine started 20 years ago. I’d get hit every other day at the same time for a month, then I'd be free for a month. This went on for 7 years and as many doctors. Finally diagnosed, prednisone and verapimil work for a couple of years. I then settled into a cycle of 2-3 months on and 6 off and the headaches got longer , up to 6 hours in length.  Prednisone no longer knocked out the cycles but did give me relief for a few weeks at a time. Just as I thought couldn’t take it any longer I along came Imitrex injections and with up to 6 attacks a day the tip really has worked wonders. Last two cycles have been 16 months off and 6 on, go figure.  
Anyway was watching the news the other day and reported that a Dr Friedman with the Westchester Head and  Pain Center had received FDA approval for a non-invasive treatment for migraines. The very last statement they made was in reference to CH’s and the great success he has had and I about fell out of my chair. Has a contraption that chills a swollen "intraoral area" above the jaw that puts pressure on the maxillary nerve. Doesn't make alot of sence to me given what I know about CH's. Went to their web site , http://www.headachecontrol.com/ but no mention of Clusters. Watched  again later that night and I wasn’t dreaming. I’m going to give them a call  but before I do I’d like to know if anyone out there has any first hand knowledge of Friedman and the treatment?
Thanks again.

Wylie
IP Logged
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

Re: New Treatment???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 6:20am »

Shocked
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 7:06am »

Save yourself some $$$$$$$$

Cold does help some people alleviate some of the syptoms.

Go to a sporting goods store and buy a gel bite plate. Freeze it and then attempt while your having a CH.

Just thought of that one Wink

I may try it.

Wishing you luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 7:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For clusters, it is the cavernous sinus and peri-orbital regions around the eye that display poor circulation  in many sufferers. A cold pack around the eyes, on the temple and forehead sometimes helps.  

Craniometric measures in cluster headache patients.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed &dopt=Abstract&list_uids=9595207&query_hl=2

How cluster headache is explained as an intracavernous inflammatory process lesioning sympathetic fibers.  
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed &dopt=Abstract&list_uids=8200785&query_hl=2

Course, its not just a sinus issue, but treating the sinuses sometimes helps, even if it is as simple as a cold pack.
IP Logged
brainfreeze
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 9:50am »

on Aug 4th, 2005, 5:35am, WYLIE wrote:
I’d like to know if anyone out there has any first hand knowledge of Friedman and the treatment?

I haven't heard of it but it does make sense.  My history of docs always signaled swelling and inflammation causing pressure on this nerve which causes the pain.  Their main objective is to get the inflammation stopped.
IP Logged

Susan
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 12:00pm »

on Aug 4th, 2005, 7:06am, E-Double wrote:
Go to a sporting goods store and buy a gel bite plate. Freeze it and then attempt while your having a CH.

What are these gel bite plates? I've never heard of them.
I get a lot of pain in the jaw/teeth area and have bit on an ice cube and at the same time had an ice pack on the cheek. Maybe a frozen gel thing would be more comfortable than an ice cube.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 12:21pm »

Do not take this the wrong way... ....  Undecided

What about a Teething Ring that small children use... ??

Don't you freeze those things... I do not have any small children at home, but I think my Neice had one....  

Just a thought...  Huh Lips Sealed

PFDAN's to ALL !!!

Charlie
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space. (burnt-toast)
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 1:54pm »

on Aug 4th, 2005, 12:21pm, jcmquix wrote:

Huh Lips Sealed

Charlie

Take it wrong? No way. Wonder if those things freeze really solid?
Heck, if you could freeze a turd I'd........
well, maybe not, never mind.  Wink
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 3:11pm »

on Aug 4th, 2005, 12:21pm, jcmquix wrote:

What about a Teething Ring that small children use... ??

Don't you freeze those things... I do not have any small children at home, but I think my Neice had one....  

Just a thought...  Huh Lips Sealed

PFDAN's to ALL !!!

Charlie

Too funny.....I was thinking of that one too when I posted this morning.

Bob,

the gel bite plate/guard are like mouth pieces that athletes or former ( me lmao!) used while playing basket ball or football....They make them in a gelatinous material these days that are just as strong as the old plastic ones but are more comfortable.....We used to soak them  in fruit punch to give them flavor too.

Give it a shot
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
jcmquix
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

jcmquix  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 10:56am »

on Aug 4th, 2005, 7:06am, E-Double wrote:
Save yourself some $$$$$$$$

Cold does help some people alleviate some of the syptoms.

Just thought of that one Wink

I may try it.

Wishing you luck

Here is one link to look at: http://www.3dsxtreme.com/mouthguards.asp

I don't really know myself, I just came across the site...  

Good Luck...  

PFDAN's to You !!
CHarlie
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss