Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 6:45pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « PLease help me clear this up! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   PLease help me clear this up!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PLease help me clear this up!  (Read 446 times)
mikeheadache
New Board Newbie
USA 

busy find a cure!

mrjngrws

PLease help me clear this up!
« on: Aug 14th, 2005, 3:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok first off i have had these headaches since i was 15 they started after a very hard time in my life. every since than they come back every 1 1/2 years to 2 1/2 years. i've taken maxalt ,topamax, oxy's and zomig, they all work not sure if the topamax does but the zomig works great all day the maxalt is for a few hours and the oxy well they are great but not something i want to get used too. OK so when i start getting them again it starts off slow with headaches everyday. that get worse this time around it hasn't changed just a dull headache that gets sharp every once in awhile i really haven't had to use the meds, it been like this for two weeks, in the past when i get my clusters it always been at 10 everytime execpt the first week which is just headaches,  also the pain in my head is on one side mostly in the back of my head and on the side  
temple when i massage my shoulder (which are very soar) and my neck it seems to relax the headache or pain in my head, i think it might be something other than the cluster, any help would be great,   i have two other things to ask
1- how long will i have to live with cluster the rest of my life?  
2) is there a cure? anything ?  
thank you to whom ever can help me. i hope your head is feeling better than mine>  
mike
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: PLease help me clear this up!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 4:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi MIke,

If it's clusters you have, you will most likely have them for most of your life.

Is there a cure? No. But there are things out there that help greatly ... like O2 and Triptan drugs (Imitrex, Maxalt, Zomig, etc)...Verapamil or the Lithium/Verapamil combo.

Here's a good link. Read up:
http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf

Goodluck
UNsolved

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2005, 4:16pm by unsolved1 » IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 4:23pm »

I would also urge you to take the cluster quiz over there on the left hand side.  First and foremost do that.  

CH is a very mis understood disease, and often is mis-diagnosed.  One can get a diagnosis of CH from a not to bright doc when it really isn't as well as not get the proper Dx when the condition IS CH.  So take the quiz and we can help you out from there.

IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 14th, 2005, 4:29pm »

If its CH....get ready for the long haul, I have 31 years in and im a newbie compared to some folks.

Good luck
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15th, 2005, 7:22am »

on Aug 14th, 2005, 3:32pm, mikeheadache wrote:
've taken maxalt ,topamax, oxy's and zomig, they all work not sure if the topamax does but the zomig works great all day the maxalt is for a few hours and the oxy well they are great but not something i want to get used too.

Welcome  Mike Smiley

I hope you know that it it dangerous to mix triptans. Do not mix triptans within 24 hours of each other...it could kill you! Taking two different ones too close together can cause cardiac arrest.

is the oxy you are describing oxycodone? It could be that the longer HA's are from taking too much.

please get yourself to a neuro so you can get a proper diagnosis. You very well could have clusters. You may also have some other things going on too. (I havemultiple HA types) it's helpful to get it all sorted out.

please let us know how you make out,
be well and PF!
-lionsound
IP Logged
bnfreeman
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16th, 2005, 9:34pm »

I get multiple types of headaches. And have had some kind of headache since I was little. I started getting migraines in high school. But have had chronic daily headaches forever. Started clusters 2 years ago. And also have migraines. Lately I have noticed a new headache. Not sure what it is. I am on a waiting list for a head transplant.  

Sorry, no cure. But you will learn to cope. Find a good doc. Best wishes.

Brandi
IP Logged
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

With Him, all things are possible. ><>

« Reply #6 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 9:30pm »

on Aug 14th, 2005, 3:32pm, mikeheadache wrote:
. . . also the pain in my head is on one side mostly in the back of my head and on the side  temple when i massage my shoulder (which are very soar) and my neck it seems to relax the headache or pain in my head, i think it might be something other than the cluster, any help would be great . . .    
mike

I get multiple types of headaches, and I feel most of them in the same place.  I've only realized this in the last few years, I always thought they were the same.

Pain from trigger points in your neck and shoulders can be referred to the back of your head and temple.  I've been able to abort some headaches with a technique called Strain and Counterstrain.  It's passive, and reduces the pain within 90 seconds.  It's kind of hard to do on yourself, but I've found ways.  PM me for more info so I don't bore everyone else with it.  If it is a cluster, this treatment won't do a thing for you.

Another issue I have is "facet arthritis."  Facet joints are small joints in your spine, where movement of your neck and back happens.  Pain referral patterns from cervical (neck) facet joints are typically to the back of the head and possibly to the temple or forehead on one side.  This one is hard to treat, but I've developed some strategies to reduce the onset, including sleep habits and posture.  Again, PM me for more info.  Steroid injections to the troublesome joint have brought relief to many, as well.

I do think that both these problems, at least for me, trigger some of my clusters.  The cluster pain is way worse, and my little "tricks" don't work on that pain, but if I deal with my other issues quickly, I do think I can avoid some clusters.

Good luck, and I'll pray for PF days for you.

Namaste,
--Scott

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2005, 9:33pm by Salvelinus » IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

"When no one else knows how I feel,
You run to me, with outstretched hands,
and you hold me in your arms.
Again."
--Building 429
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss