Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:23pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH and having Surgery »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH and having Surgery
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH and having Surgery  (Read 370 times)
islandsonja
New Board Newbie
USA 

Wishin I was sleepin!

Email

CH and having Surgery
« on: Aug 18th, 2005, 9:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone had an attack while recovering from surgery?  

Im having surgery this next week and I am a little nervous about the days following when I am laying in a hospital bed with limitedy mobility due to stitches and whatever else they decide to attach to my body. Being in a place where no one understands why you cant handle the light, struggling to raise up because you cant bare laying day, requesting oxygen immediately but not getting it until the nurse gets good and ready and having a bunch of "professionals" see me going through an attack and having no idea what is going on. These are some of the things that I am dreading.  

Hopefully I am getting all worked up for nothing. Talk to me. Please!
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: CH and having Surgery
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 9:23am »

Hi Sonja!  
I think your concerns are valid and you should dicuss them with both your surgeon and anesthesiologist. Probably wouldn't hurt for the doc to relay all that to the charge nurses, too. I can't imagine it would be hard to be sure there's an O2 tank ready to go at your bedside, BEFORE you may need it. As far as mobility... I don't know. I once had a k9 while strapped in an ambulance gurney. All I could do was rock my head and squirm...but it didn't make it any worse. Just more frustrating. Good luck, hon...let us know how things go. hugs and pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 10:55am »

Hi Sonja, my last cycle started 3 days after back surgery in April. I was laid up and only got out of bed to go to the bathroom, and it was a real struggle. When the cycle started, I was jumping out of bed and doing the dance, and everyone thougth I was nuts.... While doing the dance, I was very aware of my back and believe it or not, I was able to dance without hurting myself.

As masochistic as this may sound, the head pain was a welcome relief to the back pain, it seemed to take over my pain receptors. My back did not hurt during CH attacks, probably because the CH hits were so hard.

Nani makes a good point. Tell your surgeon and nursing staff that you have CH. They will do a pre-surgery questionnaire, and that is the perfect time to do it. They will ask about what meds you're on, etc. Make sure that you tell them everything. The Doc doing the questionnaire is a different one than who will operate on you, and it's his job to ensure you have everything you need post-op.

Good luck, and pf wishes.
Jose
IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 3:23pm »

I have had surgery several times over the last 5 years.  It never impacted my ha or brought them on.  However, I always found myself with morphine or oxycontin or some strong narcotic for pain.  So that may have kept the ch at bay.  However they do shortly return a couple of days after surgery.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18th, 2005, 5:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I had a CH Attack in the recovery room. Woke up to it. I think it was from the anesthesia. Anyways, they got me Imitrex quick so I didn't suffer long. I went right back to sleep.

Goodluck

UNsolved
IP Logged
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 5:14pm »

If I could ever be a drug addict (Ha-Ha-ha...!) it will be on anaesthetic.  That is the best sleep I ever get and I feel really GOOD afterwards.

So different strokes for different folkes!

The best advise is like the previous, when in doubt tell your surgeon everything and have your meds or at least O2 on stand-by!

Good luck! Wink
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss