Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 5:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Why???? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2005 Cluster Headache Specific Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Why????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Why????  (Read 810 times)
marty
New Board Old Timer
USA 

WWW Email

Re: Why????
« Reply #25 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 7:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Y'all

CH is a very "lonely" affliction. Most of us deal with it in private and shy away from contact with others for many reasons. If you see life as being good or bad, black or white etc, then it becomes very easy to fall into a state of mind where you feel like you are being punished.  

There are those who personify CH by refering to it as the beast, the devil, the demon etc and I see a danger in this; by not dealing with CH as a headache - no more, no less - even though it is the most severe headache there is, and making it a battle between good and evil we are inviting mental disaster.  

This issue have been on my mind for a while now and I have been reluctant to post it.  

My point is this; a beast or devil is bad and bring pain and suffering. God is good and being in his good graces will bring happiness and contentment and therefore, a person suffering must have done something wrong and is now being punished. A demon is also bad and the good is an Angel - same theory applies here. To be alone (because you are always alone when fighting a CH attack) and at the same time trying to figure out what you did wrong and why you are being punished takes away from your inner ability (strength) to deal with the CH attack(s) and you are more likely to give in mentally. Lack of sleep will add to this.

I consider myself very fortunate in that CH is my only really painful affliction - the bones that I have broken are minor and due to my own stupidity. I still have penty to worry about but I will not let it become an issue of good or bad. I do believe in God and that he is almighty but there is also the part of us being made in His image and therefore I will deal with what comes for what it is and not worry about the why and why not. In other words, I have headaches, bad and scary headaches, but that is what I am dealing with - no more , no less.  

Marty
IP Logged
Jeepgun
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

BOHICA!!!

Email

« Reply #26 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 7:43am »

As for the positive things that can be gleaned from this condition:

1. Nothing is more humbling than deep pain. It shakes up our little status quo and forces us to take a good look at our priorities. Suddenly, that damn PTA meeting or the dishes in the sink don't seem nearly as important as spending time with your spouse, partner, children, or pets. Deep pain slows us down and forces us to take a good look at ourselves and our lives.

2. Deep pain is a clarion call to muster our inner strength and call forth resources that we previously didn't know we had. It spawns a deeper, truer self-knowledge and a realization of just how much we are able to endure.

3. Deep pain is like the drill that taps a well of sweet water. When we've been in deep pain, it opens our hearts to compassion, empathy, understanding, and care for our fellow man.

4. Deep pain sets our feet on the road to seeking answers. Whether those answers are spiritual, medical, physical, dietary, or any combination thereof, deep pain boots us into the river of life and gets us swimming with the current again.

5.  Deep pain yanks our focus out of the dim fog of the unrealized future, or the constant backward-looking focus on the past and puts us right on the very needle's point of the present.

6. Deep pain opens our hearts to gratitude for the "ordinary" times. Because we are in extraordinary pain, the times when we are pain-free may feel like any other day to the average person, but to us, a single night of pain-free sleep or a day without having to duck into the bathroom with our palm jammed into our eye, is worth more than a king's ransom. The "ordinary" times become filled with extraordinary joy and a fresh awareness of the beauty around us.

These are a few things I was able to come up with, off the cuff...

Peace & PFDAN's,
-Frank
IP Logged

Her: "Have you ever hit a deer?"
Me: "What, like, in the FACE?"
Her: ..... "WHAT is the MATTER with you!?"
floridian

Email

« Reply #27 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 7:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 22nd, 2005, 7:35am, marty wrote:

This issue have been on my mind for a while now and I have been reluctant to post it.  

I'm glad you posted those ideas, Marty. This isn't a simple issue, isn't a right vs. wrong, one answer and only one answer. All of the posts in this thread are attempts to deal with our own situations, and a reasonable, polite discussion considering many perspective is a good thing.  

Kimmeesue: got any of the general ideas from C.S. Lewis to put up here?  I read a lot of Lewis a while back - he is an excellent writer, very logical within the framework of his faith.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #28 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:49am »

Excellent post Marty!!!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
kimmeesue
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #29 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 12:08pm »

on Aug 22nd, 2005, 7:51am, floridian wrote:

Kimmeesue: got any of the general ideas from C.S. Lewis to put up here?  I read a lot of Lewis a while back - he is an excellent writer, very logical within the framework of his faith.

Whew, that's tough.  To oversimplify in the extreme, pain serves as the antithesis of all that is good and without which we would have no real experience of pleasure, joy, etc.  Pain, as someone else noted, is quite humbling.  It is a great equalizer.  No matter our station in life we suffer and our sufferring is not diminished by wealth, power, family, etc.  Those things may affect how we deal with our pain in terms of resourcesand support  but in no way affects the pain or the nature of the pain itself.
But he goes into the whole free-will, original sin thing, too, which is meaningful to those who are "believers".
I'm only in the third chapter, about halfway through.  If anyone is interested I will post further on this when finished.
Kim
IP Logged

If I wasn't doing this I'd probably be doing something else.
Salvelinus
New Board Junior
USA 

With Him, all things are possible. ><>

« Reply #30 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 9:31pm »

Kim--please do, and thank you.

Floridian--I agree.

Marty--Great post.  As I just said in a PM, before coming here, I had never thought of my CH as a "beast," or felt I was being "hit" by something.  Even the term "shadows" has a dark, evil ring to it.  On the contrary, I've always discussed my pain in a very factual manner.  Once, after being referred to a biofeedback therapist, she asked me to "draw" my pain.  I sat there and stared at the paper--I had never thought of it in terms other than severity, quality, location, etc.  I ended up drawing my head with a red-hot poker through it, and feeling very sheepish for drawing that.  On the other hand, I very much understand why people use those terms.  This condition does foster victimization.

Frank--WOW.  Awesome.  I'm speechless.  You thought of that "off the cuff?"  Every line is so true.  That was EXACTLY what I was looking for, but couldn't articulate--thank you so much!

Namaste,
--Scott
IP Logged

Namaste,
--Scott ><>

"When no one else knows how I feel,
You run to me, with outstretched hands,
and you hold me in your arms.
Again."
--Building 429
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #31 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:00pm »

For twenty years I have fought, pleaded, cried, whined and nearly suicided over these headaches.  I honestly thought God hated me.  He doesn't.  I have clusterheadaches.  Frank-your post brought tears to my eyes-thank you bro.  I have started thanking God that I have to stop the dizzy ride and get off sometimes and that He's always there and  always will be.
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss