Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 6:15am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « new hubby sufferer, need advice »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   new hubby sufferer, need advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: new hubby sufferer, need advice  (Read 376 times)
renny3
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

new hubby sufferer, need advice
« on: Mar 16th, 2004, 10:53am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

One month ago, my husband starting having these headaches.(would you believe it starting after he stopped drinking!)  It is aweful seeing him go through this pain every night. They seem like classic cluster headaches ranging 1-3x a day, always at night. Having the "shadow h/a s "during the day.  Gotta a script for fiorinal from dr. , helping a little.  Going back to the dr Mon.  I told him don't leave w/o a script for imitrex and O2.  Also a CT or MRI just to make sure there is no underlying cause. I prefer MRI, I've done CT scans for several yrs, never saw anything with h/a as a symptom.My questions are:
Am I jumping the gun?
What else can we do?
Are the O2 and imitrex a good start?
This website is awesome, any info appreciated.
 Smiley

IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: new hubby sufferer, need advice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 11:22am »

Make sure your doctor's appointment is with a neuroligist that specializes in headaches.  Anything less and the physician probably will not be up to speed on CH.  Imitrex injections and O2 are both excellent abortives for individual headaches.  Imitrex pills are too slow.  Usually people who use them in combination will try the O2 first and if that does not work then go to the imitrex.  Imitrex injections will abort my headache in less than 5 minutes.  The problem with imitrex is getting the quantity that he will need.  Terribly expensive and the insurance companies are stingy with authorization beyond two boxes.  While at the Drs office, request some "free" samples.

Also, he will need some type of preventive medication such as verapamil 240mg>.  

Also, the hormone melatonin (see the old post on this) has helped about 50% of us to varying degrees.  This is available almost anywhere (GNC, etc.).

Good luck,

John

IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 12:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Renny

When you say classic CH, have you checked via the cluster quiz and cluster traits? (sure you have but just being certain)
Key factors are the type, timing and duration of the pain and the restlessness during the attack itself.

I hope for his sake it isn't Ch as of the main headaches, it possibly is the hardest to treat.
If it definitely is, at least you are identifying it early and can hit it with the best treatments available (I swear by 02 and Imigran/trex, with a preference for 02 as I like the 'clean' feeling of it.

I also disagree with Giovanni (sorry) saying that your husband will need preventives. Many episodic sufferers prefer just to tackle the attacks as they happen if the cycles are not too long or too unmanageable, and many neuros suggest waiting until you know what the pattern is like before recommending preventives.
The other reason is that the main preventive of choice, Verapimil can take time to work, by which time some people's cycles have ended naturally anyway.

Good luck getting the right help and keep us posted.

Wendy
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2004, 12:50pm by pubgirl » IP Logged
Luke63
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

For sale:  1 BIG BARKING  HEAD   Price: Free

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 1:47pm »

Hey renny...I have truly discovered the joys of O2..after almost 25 years...wish I knew it sooner!! I got a concentrator delivered...u know what one of those are?Well..if ya dont no prob..lemme know.....but Im in "cycle" now..and I found that using the O2 all nite with a canula...finally has given me pain free sleep....Questions?....we're all here to help...so ask away.  Luke
IP Logged

I think we should all get together and do a movie..."Night of The Clusterheads". George Romero would have nothing on us!!!
renny3
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17th, 2004, 2:13pm »

I went through the cluster quiz and symptom stuff with my husband and it seems to be right on.  His pain is always on same side ,  that eye is bloodshot and tearing, always same time every night, pacing around and trying different tricks to defer the pain (ice packs,towel biting,etc) He's come very close to banging his head but not yet thank God.  I hope I am wrong and it is something else but the more research I do the more it looks like CH.  He's going to the dr. (already posted this  on support section, had a pity party for myself last night) on Mon, he's not leaving w/o imitrex  inj and O2.  And I found a neuro through OUCH that is local , getting a referral for him too.  I figure we'll wait to see what the neuro says about preventative measures.  My husband will be on this site soon.  Take care all and thanks for the info.  I don't know what we would be doing without this site.   Smiley
IP Logged
pubgirl

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 10:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Renny

Sounds familiar!
I hope it isn't CH, but you are doing all the right things.

Let us know how you get on and hoping the Doctor is a good one

Wendy
IP Logged
Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18th, 2004, 10:24pm »

Print the O2 info out and send it to the doc with your husband and make that neuro appointment.  Don't leave without the O2 script, it is a wonderful thing.....

Welcome aboard, sorry you had to find us but glad you did.  

Make sure you let us know how the visit to the doc went.

IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss