Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 8:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hi »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hi
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hi  (Read 217 times)
Ryan_Grant
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hi
« on: May 2nd, 2004, 7:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone.  My name's Ryan; I'm 25 years old, and I teach 1st graders in Medical Lake, Washington.  Nice to meetchya!

I'd never heard of cluster headaches until this past Friday.  On Thursday I'd taken a day off to go and run some errands; part of that was getting a new pair of glasses and a physical.  Thursday night I started getting a headache; I assumed it was because my eyes were getting used to a stronger prescription on the glasses, and I didn't think much of it.

During the night the aching started.  My neck felt like it had a hell of a kink in it; my left eye ached in a way that I'd never felt before; then the watering started.  Friday morning I tried to come in to work and teach, but....

...the minute the kids walked in I knew that there was no way I was going to make it through the day.  1st graders are tough enough, this time of year; me trying to teach them with what was going on inside my skull was nigh-on impossible.  I went to the secretary and begged her to find me a substitute.  Thank the Lord, she did, and I got to go home at about 10:30.

The next 4 hours were spent screaming, crying, and pacing.  I had never, ever felt pain like this before.  Sure I'd had a migraine or three in my life, but this shrieking misery was something I wouldn't have wished on anyone.  My left eye watered non-stop; the left eye looked like I'd been smacked around; my entire eye socket hurt; my neck hurt; everything hurt.  I tried to lay down (that's what I used to do with a migraine), but I was just plain agitated.  At one point I was pressing my head against the floor and trying to bargain with God (Take the pain away, Lord!  I'll give to the next capital campaign!  I'll do anything!), but that didn't work.  Next I tried begging to various saints, Cthulhu, Odin, and every other higher diety I could think of, but no such luck.

I called my doctor (the same one I'd seen the day before for my physical), and when my wife got home she drove me in.  He listened to what was going on and promptly put me on oxygen for about 15 minutes.  So there I sat, wearing my oxygen mask and reading the Large Print version of the Reader's Digest.  I felt about 80 years old.

The oxygen worked, though.  After I took the mask off I felt like I was back to about 90% of normal.  I looked better, I felt better, the headache was reduced to a dull pain.

Then he talked to me about cluster headaches, and as he went through the symptoms (and having read what I've read here), it sounds like that's what that was.  What worries me, though, is that this is the 1st time I've ever had one--will this be the only time?  Does anyone have stories of only getting one of these things and not getting one ever again?

Frankly, having read what I have here on the website (great site, by the way!), it's a little bit scary.  Those of you who have to deal with this on a daily basis are incredible.  God willing this is an isolated thing; is there any sort of a timeframe that clusters tend to follow?

Anyhow, thanks for any answers.  I hope the weather where you are is as nice as it is here.

--Ryan--
IP Logged
eyes_afire
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: May 2nd, 2004, 7:48pm »

Hi Ryan,

Sorry you have need to be here.

Assuming you have cluster headaches:

Quote:
What worries me, though, is that this is the 1st time I've ever had one--will this be the only time?  Does anyone have stories of only getting one of these things and not getting one ever again?

Nope.  By definition, cluster headaches do not occur as a single event.  I don't mean to be a bummer, but, prepare for the worst.

Quote:
At one point I was pressing my head against the floor and trying to bargain with God (Take the pain away, Lord!  I'll give to the next capital campaign!  I'll do anything!), but that didn't work.  Next I tried begging to various saints, Cthulhu, Odin, and every other higher diety I could think of, but no such luck.

Yup, I've been offering my soul.  No takers yet.  Even amongst the Lords of the NightRealm.  If you find a taker, please clue me in.

In the meantime:

Praise Verapamil,
Praise Oxygen,
Praise Imitrex,
Praise the Magic of the Mushrooms,
But curses for needing them.

--- Steve
IP Logged

Still around... in a brand new world now...
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 2nd, 2004, 11:10pm »

Welcome to the board, Ryan.

Hope the doc gave you some meds to fight the beast.

Stay in touch, let us know how things are going.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Nolan
New Board Newbie
USA 

Whadda' you lookin' at?

« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2004, 11:53pm »

Hi Ryan,

I started having clusters when I was 22, just a bit younger than you. Like you, and most everyone, I didn't have any idea what was happening to me...I just knew the pain (and the emotion it causes) was something I'd never experienced before. I'm sorry to say that was 22 years ago, but let's hope it's different for you.

Clusters are *very* cycle-driven. Many sufferers have attacks the same time (or times) everyday. If this proves true for you, change your schedule so it doesn't affect you at work. For example, when I'm in a cluster cycle, it'll hit me about 45 minutes after I wake up. So, I wake up a hour or two earlier. Melatonin is great before bedtime, and Imitrex and 02 has proved a very capable abortive for me.  

Finally, pleading and crying isn't going to help, but (especially for a first timer) is completely understandable. Read up on your condition and do everything you can to help yourself through it. This includes talking to others at the workplace and home, and letting them know what you are facing. Keep positive and rest as much as possible.

Nolan

IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #4 on: May 3rd, 2004, 3:36pm »

Sorry to see you here Ryan. Unfortunately, if these are cluster's which they do sound like, it won't be the last one. And it won't be the worst one either.
Look on the bright side... Someday soon you will be tougher than anyone you know... 'Cept for some of us around here... Tongue Grin

Read up and gather info here. It's your best defense.
Things you need;
O2
Imitrex...
Things that might work;
Prednisone,
Verapamil,
Topomax,
Depakote...
Things worth trying;
Melatonin at night,
Magnesium...
Welcome and good luck.
IP Logged

Chris
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 3rd, 2004, 7:34pm »

It sounds like you have a pretty sharp doctor if what you have indeed turns out to be cluster headaches,being as unusual as they are. Many people suffer for a long time before being correctly diagnosed. If O2 is effective for you (and it sounds like it is), you are fortunate....much better than expensive drugs with side effects. Good luck......maybe your experience was just a one-time thing.
         Rich
IP Logged
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 3rd, 2004, 10:55pm »

Welcome Ryan.  Please stick around and let us know how you are doing.

We will all be praying that you are not the beast's most recent victim.

23 years episodic....Little Deb
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss