Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 1:12am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Emergency Room »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Emergency Room
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Emergency Room  (Read 340 times)
Bucco
New Board Newbie
USA 

If I could only get to sleep!

Emergency Room
« on: May 19th, 2004, 8:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HI, I'm a new member but long suffering CH-acher. I started experiencing clusters in the late 70's (probably before many of you were born). I was diagnosed in the late 80s.

I've only recently met another human being who is also a cluster headache sufferer.  

I'm curious about some of my experiences:

eg, I have had awful experiences when I have gone to ER at the hospital. Once I got treated quickly (shot of Demerol), but almost every other time I have been left waiting to see someone for an hour or more. I have to answer admin questions and sit in a well lit, hot, waiting room.  I recently complained after the fact, when I could be more rational, but get no help.  Anyone have similar experiences??? Any suggestions for dealing with the really bad ones???

IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

Re: Emergency Room
« Reply #1 on: May 19th, 2004, 9:31pm »

Welcome to the board, Bucco

You didn't mention if you have seen a doctor, or if you have any meds that you take.

Read all the info in the links on the left of this page.  Take the cluster quiz.  You will see there are several meds you can take for CH, and also you'll find some "home remedies" as well.

It is difficult for some to find a good doc that really knows about CH.   ER experiences for most are kinda like yours.  Not only that, but the narcotic drugs do nothing for CH.  They may mask the pain....but the CH  WILL return.    

If you don't have a good doc that knows about CH, then you should really try and locate one in your area.  I see you are in NC......we have several folks here from that area.  

Hope things get better for you.  Let us know more about you....stay with us....post and let us know how you are doing.

PF vibes,

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 20th, 2004, 12:53am »

Bucco....

If you are anywhere close to Winston-Salem, I can give you the name of a GREAT neuro.  

Bill
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #3 on: May 20th, 2004, 4:36pm »

ER's are an expensive waste of time and patience for ch.

Huhhuh... "patience"... laugh
IP Logged

Chris
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2004, 4:44pm »

I've never been to an ER as I believe they would be useless.  My wife tried to take me on several occassions, but I refused.  After reading about everyone's experiences, I figured I made the right decision.

John
IP Logged
Bucco
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2004, 10:52pm »

Sounds like my ER experience is not unique. I was hoping otherwise.

As far as more info on me:

I live in the Raleigh area. I have a CH doctor (Neuro) and he has prescribed various meds over the years. First there was a steriod that couldn't be taken for a long period so he replaced that with Lisinopril??? Hope I have the name right. That drug had no effect.  Now he has me on Depakote. It seemed to help this last time but since I was probably on the downside of the cluster when he prescribed it, I'll wait to the next bunch before I decide.
I used motrin for pain until one time I went to ER and they gave me oxygen. It worked great so I got me a prescription. I take it everywhere (including the golf course).

Unfortunately, there are times when nothing works. I have stockpiled some Demerol pills, and next time that happens I'm going to take as many as it takes.  

I have been getting clusters about once per year for 2-3month periods. My last cluster ended in April. I'm OK to drink alcohol until my next attack.
IP Logged
miapet
New Board Hall of Famer

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 23rd, 2004, 11:58pm »

Depakote is a frontal lobe drug (it effects the frontal lobe) . . since a malformed hypothalmus appears to be the culprit behing ch . . .and since the hypothalmus isn't in the frontal lobe . . .  
Just something to think about.
*positive light and energy*
miapet
IP Logged

Clusterbusters Rock
www.clusterbusters.com
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #7 on: May 24th, 2004, 7:14pm »

have you tried imitrex injections to abort?
IP Logged

Chris
Bucco
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: May 25th, 2004, 10:12am »

Superpain,  I have not tried imitrex injections.  Do they work for you?   How quickly?   Do they kill the really bad ones??

Thanks,
Bucco
IP Logged
Filbert
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

"Gravy-pure gravy and don't forget it."

« Reply #9 on: May 25th, 2004, 12:55pm »

Bucco re your imitrex question. I think it's fair to say that they work for most people. For me they take about five mins-like magic. Takes a bit longer for some.

Filbert
IP Logged
Bucco
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: May 25th, 2004, 2:12pm »

on May 23rd, 2004, 11:58pm, miapet wrote:
Depakote is a frontal lobe drug (it effects the frontal lobe) . . since a malformed hypothalmus appears to be the culprit behing ch . . .and since the hypothalmus isn't in the frontal lobe . . .  
Just something to think about.
*positive light and energy*
miapet

Miapet, I don't understand the "malformed hypothalmus" comment. What is a hypothalmus, where is it and, how does it affect CH?
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #11 on: May 25th, 2004, 5:53pm »

Yes Bucco, for most of us about 1/3 - 1/2 of a statdose injection = 2-3mg of imitrex kills just about any headache in about 5 mins.
The hypothalamus is your brain stem.
Check out the info on the "links" page of this site concerning Dr. Goadsby's research for more info.
IP Logged

Chris
FZfan
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Not Insane

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 26th, 2004, 12:05am »

Sorry to hear about your suffering Bucco. In addition to imitrex, you also want to get hooked up with OXYGEN! As was previously suggested, read the oxygen link to the left and follow the directions exactly. This is very important. O2 must be breathed properly to be effective. If you're like many around here, you will find the o2/imitrex combination to be very effective at aborting your h/a's. Get your neuro to give you oxygen and don't take no for an answer.

Good luck in your battles with the beast. You came to the right place for support. Welcome.
IP Logged

There is no such thing as a dirty word. Nor is there a word so powerful, that it's going to send the listener to the lake of fire upon hearing it. - FZ
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 27th, 2004, 10:33am »

Go here........................
http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/hypothalamus/Hypothalamus%20and% 20ANS.htm

http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/hypothalamus/hypothalamic_activa tion.htm

And welcome ......... Bucco.

Tina Kiss
IP Logged
Bucco
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #14 on: May 30th, 2004, 3:48pm »

All of the responses to my original post are much appreciated.  
Thanks to you all!

As a result of reading the responses, I made my first trip to the OUCH website. I couldn't understand the technical discussions I found there to any great degree. However, there was a mention of Histamines there that caught my eye.
I have had elevated histamines for many years ( I have to take a pil a day (Zyrtec) to keep from getting rashes and itching.... basically allergy control.  Does anyone know of a more detailed discussion of the relationship between Histamines and CHs  that they can refer me to???  

Thanks again!!!!
IP Logged
don

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 2:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have found that demerol in the ER is only useful if you are at the end of your rope and need some relief, but prepare for that instant gratification to trigger off a few more rounds of attacks later on.

Insist on proper treatment in the ER. That treatment being whatever you and your Doc have agreed upon.

Insist they treat you for the condition you have, not the condition they want you to have.
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #16 on: Jun 7th, 2004, 5:25pm »

on May 30th, 2004, 3:48pm, Bucco wrote:
However, there was a mention of Histamines there that caught my eye.
I have had elevated histamines for many years ( I have to take a pil a day (Zyrtec) to keep from getting rashes and itching.... basically allergy control.  Does anyone know of a more detailed discussion of the relationship between Histamines and CHs  that they can refer me to???  

I'd just go to google and do a search on:  

"histamines" and "cluster headaches"

Then read, read, read.  Also I have never been to the ER about a ch attack.  Wife wanted to take me a few times, but I figured that by the time they got to me, the attack would be over and I'd be like, "Uh, well I had one when I came in here."  After reading other peoples experiences, I think I was right.  

Also, you may want to consider staying away from the pain killers.  They can cause more trouble for you in the form of rebound pain.  Like was said earlier, pain killers are last ditch type things.

Gator
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss