Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 7:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Looking for Triggers, Clues, Connections, Whatever »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2004-2005 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Looking for Triggers, Clues, Connections, Whatever
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Looking for Triggers, Clues, Connections, Whatever  (Read 625 times)
Fig
New Board Newbie
USA 

Let It Be

Email

Looking for Triggers, Clues, Connections, Whatever
« on: Aug 28th, 2005, 9:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I hope you'll not think this too far off the wall, but I'm trying to find if there are any connections between certain things and/or conditions and the headaches. Is there any special thing that might trigger yours? An emotion, an illness, a certain situation? Eating too much or too little? The weather? I think you get the point. I find that the more depressed I am, the more sleep deprived, the more susceptible I am. I'd just like to know how it is for others.   Marion
IP Logged
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

Re: Looking for Triggers, Clues, Connections, What
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28th, 2005, 10:00pm »

I had a bad case of the norwalk virus last december that brought on a cycle.  As far as anything else I haven't seen any unusual triggers, aside from the usual seasonal changes.  I have read others have had trouble with changes in weather though.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28th, 2005, 10:00pm »

Yup...there are triggers.
Here are a few of mine:
Sunlight or any bright light in my eye
Heat
Bending over at the waist
Alcohol (in my "severe" cycles)
Sensory overload (too much noise and/or activity
Strobe like lights (and strobe like shadows)
Storm systems

Keeping a headache diary can help you identify (and then avoid) your triggers.
PF wishes, nani
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2005, 10:01pm by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
paul_pero
New Board Junior
Australia 

zdrastvuyte

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 5:43am »

Hi

Alcohol seems to be the only trigger. I can drink plenty offcycle (sometimes too much).

At one stage I thought it was  a certain pollen in the air that was causing the HA, but after 14 yrs and having them at all different times of the year I don't believe that anymore.

I kept a diary of what I ate for a few years to see if was a allergy to something, but could not pinpoint anything in particular.

Paul
IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 7:28am »

When in cycle, alcohol, any scents like perfumes, soap, incense, candles - I stay as far away from those things as I can get.  I've gotten now, when not in cycle that I will drink, but I still avoid strong scents everywhere I can.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 7:36am »

Everyone has different triggers (if they have any at all).

Mine is storm fronts moving in, too much or too little stress,(a happy medium is gooooood), high heat and humidity, and direct heat (as threw a car window) on the left side of my face.

I also pass an asphalt company on my way to and from work and if I'm already shadowing the stench can trigger me as well.

You triggers may differ.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 8:40am »

Isnt it strange how everyone has different triggers - amazing how different, besides the pain, we all are..  well - except for alcohol which seems to be a trigger for most.  Undecided

I seem to find more triggers all of the time... cold is a major one for me like ice cream unless I eat it a certain way or ice in sodas does it, Cold air too... And now heat and humidity seems to be one, strong odors is a given... certain lighting conditions... there are more..

This is an interesting topic, I think. For others, does not getting enough sleep make them worse? Mine seem to be getting worse since I dont sleep but it could be how I am dealing with it.. dont know.

Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 10:46am »

I have a few triggers: Alcohol, aspartame, orange juice, tomato, milk chocolate (white and dark are OK), some nuts. Also, of course, sleep is the biggest trigger.
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 10:49am »

oilbased paint is a killer
cold wind on the side my cluster is too
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 29th, 2005, 9:18pm »

Being episodic I will go with when in and when not in a cluster.
When Not in a cluster: Nothing
When in a Cluster: Booze
Coming in from the cold and getting warm.
Relaxing and becoming drousy.
Sometimes I wish I knew
Seems as though the soltice has some effect on the seasonal cycles
Bastard demon anyhow.
BB Smiley
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
don

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 7:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Alcohol
narcotics
Eating (Guaranteed an attack 20 minutes later)
Long drives
Physical exertion
Humidity
Frustration and anger
IP Logged
oudista

Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 11:34am »

The following list applies when I'm in cycle:Alcohol, sleep, low air pressure(On planes or in mountains), getting too hot, some strong smells, possibly my emotional state.  

Tony
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 6:56pm »

Also being episodic, I can offer the following:

When not in cycle ... nothing triggers.

When in cycle ... excessive heat and humidity, strong smells like the perfume counter at the department store, and whenever the clock strikes 9:00 PM or 2:00 PM.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 5th, 2005, 1:46am »

For me they are pretty typical, Drinking alcohol is a big one.  Also painkillers trigger a HA for me, which sucks cause i used to take up to 30 pills a day in hopes to get relief.  Heat also does, not a hot day, but a sauna or hottub will trigger one.  Excessive noise or strobing shadows.....such as while driving on a sunny day also trigger me.  Also, taking a nap will also trigger at least 2.  Cause of the sleep deprivation, taking a nap sounds really nice, but I cant, or its guaranteed.

What meds you try?  get any relief?
BMonee
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Out0fTheMist
New Board Newbie
USA 

Blessings and Love

Out0fTheMist

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 3:42pm »

Hi Marion,  
For my daughter Sam the biggest trigger is stress. At 16, you would think stress would not be a very strong trigger for her but even the slightest amount of stress will kick her into a CH.  Cry The change of seasons is another kicker, sometimes even PMS itself will kick one off for Sam.  
Take care
Ruth  
IP Logged
twoyeartorture
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Sep 10th, 2005, 10:10pm »

Hi-
I have found triggers for me when I am in "season" are alcohol (even the tinest bit, in food or such), cigarette smoke, ANY preservative and certain smells, heavy perfumes, and for some reason vanilla scent.

The hardest thing is you have to go to an all natural grocery, and still read every lable, it is so expensive.

I also have a sleep disorder, which in my research found a large percentage of cluster headaches sufferers, also have a sleep disorder.

Hope this helps.

Amy
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 12th, 2005, 2:03pm »

on Sep 10th, 2005, 10:10pm, twoyeartorture wrote:
Hi-
I have found triggers for me when I am in "season" are alcohol (even the tinest bit, in food or such), cigarette smoke, ANY preservative and certain smells, heavy perfumes, and for some reason vanilla scent.

The hardest thing is you have to go to an all natural grocery, and still read every lable, it is so expensive.

I also have a sleep disorder, which in my research found a large percentage of cluster headaches sufferers, also have a sleep disorder.

Hope this helps.

Amy

There are a bunch of chemicals (including capsaicin, the hot stuff in pepper, and gingerol, the hot stuff in ginger) that are called "vanilloids."  Vanilla is also a vanilloid, not surprisingly.  These all are involved in stimulating sensations of pain and heat.
IP Logged
lars2005

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 17th, 2005, 6:40am »

the main trigger is stress (too much from work or emotional) - after a stressfull situation I already know I will have a visit from the CH along with a stress attack (chronical stress sindrome here) at night.

also i never had eaten grapefruit before moving to germany and tried it in several forms (the fruit itself, on yogurt and also on cakes) and they all are a trigger so no grapefruit for me. I find strange that it's the only citrin. I can eat orange or lemon with no problem.
IP Logged
Fig
New Board Newbie
USA 

Let It Be

Email

« Reply #18 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 8:31pm »

I find all the input very interesting and informative and helpful.  A lot of it rings true for me as well. Yes, stress is a big trigger! I also have a problem with sleep--I often go 4-5 nights with no sleep at all--chronic insomnia. It's a **^%#. I do take Ambien and it generally works very well, but sometimes..... So, other than avoiding the obvious triggers (we can't control the seasons or the atmosphere!) and trying to stay positive, I guess all we can do is hope and pray for the best and urge research to work for a cure! Hugs to all, Marion Smiley
IP Logged
unclejake127
New Board Newbie
USA 

everybody loves somebody

unclejake127  
Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 8:47pm »

On cycle only  

alchol  always
strong smells
weather changes
and at 2am Cool
IP Logged
jon019

Email

« Reply #20 on: Sep 18th, 2005, 10:36pm »

Hello,

Ive been told by friendlies wishing to diagnose me that my headaches "must" be caused by stress. Only thing is there is nothing more stressful than the 'headaches"  themselves (and they eventually go away anyway). So I don't buy it.

My list FWIW(all only when in cycle and I still haven't figured out which bastard starts the cycle)

alcohol

high barometric pressure (you know, a bright sunny day, figured that one out when i noticed every time I was headed for the O 2 shop I had to put on my shades)

any change in normal routine (sleep, eat, travel, work, sex, exercise, etc). Gets kind of boring when you can't be spontaneous.

aspartame, msg, aged cheeses

welding fumes (zincs a killer and I literally run, people think I'm nuts), heavy perfume, other very strong odors

crave naps but dare not

Regards

Jon019
IP Logged
stevema
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #21 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 10:05am »

what is it about sleep?

me, in cycle only:
strong smells,
smoke,
known food triggers *sometimes* (!), i.e. citrus, nuts butters.
alcohol
rainy days (pressure? barometer?)
IP Logged
joey_the_grip
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 12:04pm »

You asked about connections. I'm not sure what it means but the molecules of seratonin, melatonin and psylocibin are similar. Marijuana in very small amounts will trigger a low level headache which is easily aborted by excedrin in me. If I trigger small ones every day I rarely go past a 6 or 7. Although I still have unscheduled visits from the beast, I can cope with a 6 when it awakens me. Overindulgence WILL trigger an 8+ that lasts for hours and nothing I can get my hands on will touch it. If I abstain from using during my cycle I can expect 2 a day in the 6 to 8 range like clockwork.
IP Logged
twenty2strings
New Board Newbie
USA 

Reality is the Greatest Show on Earth!

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Sep 25th, 2005, 12:18pm »

When not in cycle - nothing.

When in cycle -  
alcohol (1 sip will do it!)
heat
humidity
stress
heavy physical activity
eating after 3 p.m.
eating anything spicy, heavy, or with any flavor at anytime (I survive on Ramen Noodles... Tongue)
sleeping
lying down
worrying that I'm going to get one

Wondering if anyone is triggered by Peanut Butter, Popcorn or Hot Sauce?

Richard
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss