Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Honor roll?.....Hmmmm »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Honor roll?.....Hmmmm
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Honor roll?.....Hmmmm  (Read 898 times)
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Honor roll?.....Hmmmm
« on: Dec 12th, 2006, 7:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems that its getting so PC that some dont want to honor our best and brightest.....just like some schools dont keep score of sports games because they dont want to make the losers of the game ....well, feel like losers.

" Needham High Principal Paul Richards said the idea of keeping the honor roll private was pitched by a concerned parent and spread quickly in a school community already looking to ease tension around the town."

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=171617

I didnt want to post this in Ree or Helens threads, so here it is.

I think even, Flo...would say this is going too far with the PC crap!

What say you on this?
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2006, 7:52pm by Jonny » IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Maffumatt

Email

Re: Honor role?.....Hmmmm
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If kids cant learn about disappointment, boy are they in for a big one later in life.
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 7:45pm »

They've definitely gone too far.....  Kids that work hard enough to get on the honor roll SHOULD get the recognition they deserve. My kid was an AVERAGE student (never came close to the honor roll) but I was very proud of the ones who did and it didn't upset him that he didn't.  

What next -- quit having football banquets - after all the school nerds might get upset - or the "A" students (not many football players on that one) because the athletic kids get "recognition". Might cause some serious handicaps for those who aren't in the "in" crowd.  

And for heaven's sake - we MUST cut out proms. Think of all the kids who don't have the money to buy an expensive dress (or tux) to wear for a couple of hours.  

Ok, so I'm being a little bit fecious, but it's not uncomprehendable.
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 7:49pm »

I think its brilliant, they're not naming those who didn't do well, only recognising those who did. I can see the point that kids get too caught up in it but thats where our job as parents comes in and makes them realise that having fun can be a learning experience too.
It's all about balance. You have to work then you can have fun and your whole life is going to be like that.
Personally, I don't care whether my kids end up as top of the class or bottom as long as they have done their very best. I'll be proud of them for just that. More inportantly THEY know that. If you make sure your kids are proud of their effort more than their grade then you can't go far wrong in my opinion
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

Re: Honor roll?.....Hmmmm
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 7:57pm »

Its not the kids....its the parents on this one!!

" the idea of keeping the honor roll private was pitched by a concerned parent and spread quickly"

Its like they are saying "I let my kid play video games instead of doing homework" and I dont want anyone to know!
« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2006, 7:59pm by Jonny » IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 8:01pm »

Well thats not what parenting means to me  Undecided
Whatever happend to giving your kids goals to aim for??
IP Logged

George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 8:04pm »

Impractical too-- the list would actually be private for about one day.  Within 24 hours, everyone would know who was on it.  It would be on half a dozen websites on MySpace within 36 hours.

There's always going to be some parent with a wild hair.  Part of being an effective administrator is knowing what concerns to listen to, and what silliness is better blown off.  I would have thought Principal Richards might have more important things to worry about.
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 8:13pm »

Being a mother of 2, one who's been high honor roll for 4 years, and one who was just barely passing untill this year, I want them both to see who is on honor roll.  

Honor roll itself, is but one way kids can excell and reach for a goal.  For some, it helps them strive to excell in other areas.  Everyone has a nitch, and recognising excellence in all of them, should maybe be the goal.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Maffumatt

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 8:16pm »

Its a goal for kids to shoot for and be recognized for their hard work and perseverance, nice of them take that away.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 8:26pm »

on Dec 12th, 2006, 8:13pm, Redd715 wrote:
Honor roll itself, is but one way kids can excell and reach for a goal.  For some, it helps them strive to excell in other areas.  Everyone has a nitch, and recognising excellence in all of them, should maybe be the goal.

I wanna kiss you  Kiss.....Grin

Having never made the honor roll I knew by high school that I would be much better off entering a trade school. I did four years there and made my Mom happy that she didnt raise a loser.....LOL Grin

Now I do about a million dollars a year worth of biz and only three people work with me.

Im far from rich, but I never worked a day Mickey D's......LMAO  Wink
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 8:33pm »

I think Dyl is narrowing down his skills and interests.  So he's not the best student...

...but he is a gifted writer and story teller.

Meg is a brilliant student, a born leader and natrual diplomat.  She wants to be a teacher...but with her natural gift of making a short story very very long and taking forever to get to a point, I think I'm going to lead her toward politics. laugh
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Paul98

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 8:43pm »

WTF?  What is next?  Teach kids not to do well because the dumber kid might not have good self esteem because some other kid made better grades?

I guess the next step is to teach kids not to earn a good living.....might make the homeless feel inferior.

The troubling thing is the principal will keep his cushy job.  He should have his ass thrown out with the trash.

Man, the school system and the friggin taxes I friggin pay for it pisses me off.............$12K a year and I don't even own a kid.  The students I have tought in my lab are for the most part supposed to be the top 10% of the crowd and 80% of those 10% I would not trust to tie my shoe.  The educational system in the US if fucked up.  WHY?

-P.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 8:53pm »

on Dec 12th, 2006, 8:43pm, Paul98 wrote:
I guess the next step is to teach kids not to earn a good living.....might make the homeless feel inferior.

To late dude....LOL

"Representatives from the California Milk Processor Board, which was behind the ads, said complaints were from groups that are trying to ban all public scents, anti-obesity organizations, diabetes organizations and homeless advocates who argued the smell would leave them hungry and unable to purchase food.

http://www.examiner.com/a-439574~Cookie_scented_bus_stop_ads_crumble.htm l

WTF ever happen to ...........(You name it!)
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

chewy

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 9:31pm »

I dont agree with it but can understand where that school is coming from. That student body has been traumatized by a number of deaths and the school had to do something and didn't what it was to do.

Bottom line though is if little Bobby commits suicide because some other kid made Honor Roll, then there are some serious home issues at little Bobby's house that are being overlooked and should have been recognized and addressed BY THE PARENTS.
IP Logged
Paul98

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 9:33pm »

on Dec 12th, 2006, 8:53pm, Jonny wrote:

To late dude....LOL

homeless advocates who argued the smell would leave them hungry and unable to purchase food.

WTF ever happen to ...........(You name it!)

Priceless!  Watch out Micky D's and BK.  I'll bet the bum's really have their mouth watering when they pass a packy store.  

-P.
 Grin
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 9:38pm »

Its called stealing achviment from the achivers......Nuff said!!
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

UN solved

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 9:46pm »

George Carlin said it best

It's the 'pussification of America' .... and we're seeing it happen right before our eyes

UNsolved
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 9:47pm »

Heres a thought as I go to bed.

Lets stop all these award shows, why suck ass on these freaks that do nothing and get paid $20 million a picture?

$20 mil for a film but a kids homerun dont count?......WTF?

Good night....PF to you!
IP Logged

- Guiseppi

Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #18 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 9:52pm »

Sometimes just doing good is reward itself, but other times a little recognition is helpful too.  If no one cares that you are doing good, and some parents may not be noticing enough or even commend with a pat on the back, it's nice to know you did it yourself, got your name in the paper.  
  Those that didn't get their name in the paper, well, they know what they have to do if they want it there, a study group can be great.  Peer and parental pressure for not making it can get beyond bothersome for a few it seems, but nobody ever bothered me in the library.

The paper will need to fill that empty space with something and have to look for someone to commend who did something outside their community or maybe less inspiring stories.  We get enough bad news here.
IP Logged
Ree
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

2008's my year to shine~SUN IS OUT!!!YAY

64720087 64720087   Reespirit   Ree16Angel
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 10:34pm »

My daughter better get her name in the paper.... some kids have the honor roll come easily... this wasnt it was a struggle and something she is quite proud of... so I will take out an AD if they don't do it in my town we are right next door to Needham...... ree
IP Logged

Proud Mom to US ARMY Kiowa OH58 PILOT~CWO2 SCOTT Hawaii, & USMC Vet~Now POLICE OFFICER SEAN, Citizen of the Month~ Breezy~ Nana 4 Matt/Mike&Aya, MIL To Shino Wife to Dave HI BILL!http://www.myspace.com/dungareespockethttp://www.prohawaiian.com
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 1:35am »

Jay Leno brought up this thing.  

He said that in this case, maybe they shouldn't post football scores for the Oakland Raiders.  

Charlie
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2006, 1:35am by Charlie » IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
floridian

Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 2:47am »

Jonny,

Glad you came around to Hillary's POV - it takes a village to raise a child! It isn't enough that the student and his family have satisfaction from the accomplishment of excellent grades (though that is good). It isn't enough that the school gives them an honor certificate to say they done good (in case they didn't figure that out when they saw the grade report). Those that did best must have their name broadcast, so that friends, friends of parents, and little old church-ladies can congratulate them and reinforce good behavior.  

The attempt to minimize the recognition is a misguided attempt to deal with a real problem.  When it comes to eating, we have an epidemic of childhood obesity, and a smaller, but deadly serious epidemic of anorexia.  The same when it comes to studying. Everyone talks about the underachievers, and that is real and visible. But there is a 'Japanification' of academic culture that is messing some kids up.

The secret honor roll strategy won't stop the problem any more than protesting Barbi dolls will end anorexia. Yes, some girls have an unrealistic body image, and that is reinforced everywhere  - TV, magazines, gymnastics coaches, the list could go on for pages. Barbi's a bimbo, but force-feeding her before she gets to the big-box retailers won't fix things.  

When I was in high school, we did a mock resume in sophmore year (nobody took it too serious) and a real one junior year to prepare for college admissions. A decade later, my brother was doing a real resume in English class his freshman year.  Today, kids are doing it in junior high and even grade school.  They are being told (and believe) that if they aren't #1 in all they do as a 12 year old, they are screwing themselves for life. Pressure to get in a good school is also high - ever see some of the college application videos or DVDs that kids feel they need?  Over the top IMO, but if spending a thousand bucks on a video will help you get into a good school (or a good state school, which is tough in Florida), or get a scholarship worth maybe 30 grand, then people will do it.  Spending a grand doesn't guarantee results (some assdorks still get spotted), but it does raise the bar for everyone else.  Another related problem: steroids in high school sports.  

One one level, its a question of balance, and parents do have a major role to play. But I don't think parents are entirely to blame for anorexia, rampant steroid use, or for wanting to stop what they see as an out of control culture of premature over-achievement.  Not that one little thing like a secret honor roll will solve the problem, and not cause other problems.  
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2006, 2:58am by floridian » IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 3:32am »

Flo as parents our first job - MY first job is o teach my kids self respect 'cos if they don't like themselves there isn't any point in going any further.  

I praise their accomplishments but I don't hold back on telling them off either. Brid, my daughter works really hard, she struggles for every good mark she gets whereas Barney will get top marks in everything for no bloody effort at all. It drives me nuts as he has a lot of ability but he is wasting it through laziness. It would be very easy to focus on that and just go on about it but it wouldn't make him work. I set him little targets and bribes. I meet him halfway. I've told him for every subject he gets a better than last years report in I'll give him 5 pounds (cash) I've told Brid the same but to be fair I've let her equal her grades as she couldn't really better them. When he makes the weekly honour roll or she does I cook a special dinner, we'll go to the cinema or somewhere special to them like Sherwood. We do this to celebrate Jasper's achievements too

I do my best to focus on good behaviour (I'm not perfect and I do snipe sometimes!) and reward it and try and encourage him to do better than last time.

Both my older kids are very different and need different strategies and as a parent it's my job to recognise that and learn how to work with it. I do belief education starts in the home. I do believe that whilst peer pressure will always exist we as parents should help our kids overcome that and be more balanced.

Too many people pass the buck onto the education system, it wasn't set up for substitute parenting and whilst there is a need for some kids to larn things from school that they should learn at home but don't for one reason or another that shouldn't be true for the majority.

Teachubg has gone from educating kids to making a teacher be a psychologist, a one man swat team, a parent, a politician.. its ridiculous and it's no wonder people leave the profession in droves.

Sorry for ranting!
Helen
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 6:41am »

Good rant Helen.  

The one thing we had when we were kids was RESPECT for GROWN-UPS (we didn't have to like them, but we respected them - we said yes mam and no mam (or sir), we didn't call them by their first names (this would get you a good butt busting) and we "sat" in class and BEHAVED or our parents were at the school to find out why. We didn't have all the teachers "aides" trying to control us. One classroom - one Teacher!  

We  usually did homework while mom was cooking dinner (usually did it in the kitchen where we could ask questions and get some help from mom). We ate dinner as a "family" and went to bed at a decent hour.  

During dinner we discussed "current events" and politicks and us kids were "encouraged" to have opinions (which I always did - mostly the opposite of what dad thought).  

The point being -- both my parents worked, but they still took the time to be parents. I'm not sure when all that changed, but parents should go back and study the child raising from that era. Most of us turned out ok.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

jimmers
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hello GOD! The gene pool needs some chlorine!

« Reply #24 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 9:05am »

Barb,  

That is one of the best post I have ever read!

Nice job!

Jimmers
IP Logged

I don't suffer from INSANITY; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss