Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 9:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « I have a dilemma »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   I have a dilemma
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: I have a dilemma  (Read 728 times)
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

I have a dilemma
« on: Dec 14th, 2006, 2:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I came across a resume where the guy says he is a volunteer at his daughters school. Keep in mind that I have seen thousands of resumes, some wierd, some very good. I just thought it was strange to mention that on a resume. I deal with blue collar people and jobs day after day so this one stuck out for some reason. I also can access the Sacramento Superior Court index which list court cases and outcomes for the last 20 years. Well, just for shits and giggles I punched in his name and this guy has felonies for drugs, domestic violence and some other infractions. I emailed the school district with the information but did not disclose his name, I did mention that his name was very unique and also mentioned the school where he is volunteering. The district did respond and is requesting his name.......do I, don't I ?    
what would you do?
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
Killroy 2.0
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Kilroy 2.0 is Here! Kilroy 2.0 is Everywhere!

gmlevenhagen  
Email

Re: I have a dilemma
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 2:19pm »

Send them the name, I would want to know if someone like that worked at my kids school
IP Logged

Do the walls speak to you? Do you follow the Geek Messiah? DO YOU COMPLY?!
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 2:21pm »

I guess it would depend on how long ago these infractions were, what his history has been recently etc.  Some people DO clean up their acts.  Some do not.  

It's a case by case basis.  If this was longer than say...5-7 years ago, drop it.  The guy has probably grown up now.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 2:23pm »

I'd pass the name along.  They then can do due diligence to ascertain this is the same person and act accordingly to their findings.

I agree with Gena,  I'd want our schools to know if this person was volunteering.  Guy may be on the up and up at this stage in his life, but the district needs to keep their eyes open.
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 2:30pm »

Just thinking if there are any legality issues here. The info was on a public website tho.
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 2:35pm »

i would give the school the name and let them do the research and determine if he is still qualified for the job.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Tata

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 3:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I say do it---if anything bad happened you'd kick yourself in the butt for it. Better safe than sorry, imho.
IP Logged
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 3:29pm »

I'm thinking the SCHOOLS should be doing a background check like that! My grandson's school did that on my son when he volunteered to teach the kids how to work in clay.and he had a teacher in the classroom the entire time!

It's public record, Jeff-
but that's only my opinion.

I can see you dilemna, and I wish you luck.

Cathi
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
Mattrf
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Thank god for my wife and kids who keep me alive.

Mattrf  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 3:30pm »

Maybe the guy has turned a new life, got counseling or what ever and should not be punished for past sins, but when it comes to our kids you can never be to careful, they guy need to fins a new place to volunteer like with the homeless or something but not with kids. Just my two cents and yes I would pass the name along as fast as I could.
Can you tell I have kids in school? laugh

Matt
IP Logged

There is no stronger a person then one who can deal with brain pain and still function.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 4:38pm »

Here I have had to have a police check just to go into Jaspers classroom and help out with listening to reading etc and I'm more than happy with that.
The rule here is that there is NO limitations on convictions when working with kids, they can't be careful enough. The info is got, and put before a panel and a decision is made. There is nothing more important to me as a parent than my kids safety and if I ever found out someone knew something and didn't say I'd be both heartbroken and furious.

Pass on the name Jeff. I understand your concerns but then again, if I was applying for a job tomorrow I wouldn't mention helping out in Jaspers classroom either! It just wouldn't occur to me
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Maffumatt

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 4:40pm »

Do it, but do it anonymously. Cover your ass.
IP Logged
Dape
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Great_Britain 

WHY BOTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 4:58pm »

I am helping out at my sons playgroup for about 1 hour next monday and for this i had to be police checked even though i worked for 10 years in the security sector.

This didnt bother me in the slightest and in fact i would have been more bothered if they had allowed me to help out with out doing it.

If you do pass on the info i am sure they will do a full work up on the guy and take into account things like rehabilitation and counseling before they act.

If i was in your shoes i would pass on the info, but ime not you and the choice you make will be the right choice for you.

Dape
IP Logged

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F ???
Well i used to Sad
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:00pm »

Umm.. Dape.. can I have a picture of you in your Santa suit?!
IP Logged

Dape
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Great_Britain 

WHY BOTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

« Reply #13 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:03pm »

on Dec 14th, 2006, 5:00pm, LeLimey wrote:
Umm.. Dape.. can I have a picture of you in your Santa suit?!

Stop thread jacking woman  

Dape

PS: and the answer is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
IP Logged

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F ???
Well i used to Sad
jon019

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:06pm »

I would pass it on without a second thought. On second thought, my second thought is that I would FULLY EXPECT to be told by them that we have already done this BASIC background check and more.

Sounds like they have not. Why not?

Jon
IP Logged
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:18pm »

Jeff-----Interview him---yourself---Give the guy a chance. Perhaps he has learned a lesson- everbody desaerves a second chance---He might shine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:20pm »

I passed it along. If it were for stupid stuff and I meet people who do a lot of stupid stuff I would have shrugged it off. But these were pretty serious and there were more than 4 felony counts against him.  
I am a preferred employer for newly paroled folks and some of these guys just made some dumb moves, I have a few that have worked on and off for me over the years and I really enjoy these guys. But this guy just sounded too creepy.
Anyway, thanks for your feedback and remember......

Parole to Payroll, baby!!!!!!!!!!! Grin
IP Logged

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:21pm »

on Dec 14th, 2006, 5:18pm, zwibbs/Scott wrote:
Jeff-----Interview him---yourself---Give the guy a chance. Perhaps he has learned a lesson- everbody desaerves a second chance---He might shine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had a school caretaker like that here in the UK. His name was Ian Huntley.
He murdered two little girls in his bathroom, two little ten year olds who'll never grow up because some bleeding heart liberal thought he deserved a second chance.

Where kids are concerned I'm sorry. There are none.

edited to add Scott this wasn't aimed at you even though it was your post I quoted, it was a generalisation so I'm sorry if it might have seemed otherwise
Helen
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:22pm by LeLimey » IP Logged

sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:27pm »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes I am with Cathi04 on this on, we live in an era of sexual predation on our kids and also in an instant information age.  If the school didin't do a background check, or missed something, you would be remiss in your duties as a person that found the error and didn't point it out to protect the other children, let alone his child!
      You didn't say what the information was, but I can tell you in most professional opinions, preditors dont change, only their methodology changes!  Innocent children don't get to regain their innocence once its been taken away!
                    JMHO!                  Pappy

PS: just send them the link directly to the page where the information is and let them go from there!
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:28pm by sailpappy » IP Logged
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 5:32pm »

on Dec 14th, 2006, 5:18pm, zwibbs/Scott wrote:

I considered that, Zwibby. But I have a pretty good sense about folks and I can get a lot out of a resume. The last time I came across a funny looking resume I did bring the guy in, this is what we talked about...
He really wanted to work in the video or closed circuit television field. I asked him about his experience, he commented on his employment with Blockbuster and others and some private work that he had done. As I looked at this middleage guy who was well dressed and a bit geeky I had a strange feeling and asked him if he would pass a background check. He got this worried look on his face and said that he had something in his background. Seems Mr. Perv was setting up these cameras in his neighbors houses anf filming women. I let him finish with most of the paperwork and then tossed the paperwork.
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 6:41pm »

I used to employ a lot of parolees and for the most part my guys were good as gold. But Hot check writers are bad news!  

But you're right - these guys are a lot of fun and if you give them a chance they'll be some of the best employees you'll have.  I had a question on my application: Are you on parole or probation (had to because we worked in several counties - at least that's the reason I gave). I'd still go to bat for any of them. But they were upfront about it. It was the GOOD CHRISTIAN ones I trashed the applications. Never hired a one who told me how good they were that didn't try to screw me.  

I think you did the right thing by letting the school know who and let them do some research. The guy might me on the up and up or your hunch might just be right.

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #21 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 8:25pm »

I wonder if all those felonies are just related only to the drugs? I don't blame you for your concern though. We live in a brave new world of information and nothing is sacred.....it is kids after all.

You did fine......and it was fine that you had some reservations. A good guy.

Charlie

IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 8:35pm »

I think you did the right thing.  You came across the info honestly because you were doing a background check with respect to employment.  You saw that he works in the school and was concerned.  Very good job there because our kids DO deserve to be protected at ALL costs.

I believe that people deserve a second chance, but not when it comes to working with children.....  Sure, they deserve a 2nd chance in life - but kids are too precious to put at risk...even when the situation seems okay.  JMHO.
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #23 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 9:03pm »

Thats a no brainer.

Give it up.
IP Logged
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #24 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 11:46pm »

I think I'd give it up too but ESP if it was anything recent.....but I'd not want sumone to DISCLOSE how they found out and have that type a person comein back on ya......anyhow......HOW do you look up people's backgrounds like that tho ? Brad was askin about that not long ago for the shop in case they ever did have to hire sumone new. They've had problems with people before that were into wierd shit they found out about the HARD WAY. Not a felon Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss