Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 5:21am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « The Skunk and Flaming Cats Christmas, UPDATE! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2007 General Board Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   The Skunk and Flaming Cats Christmas, UPDATE!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Skunk and Flaming Cats Christmas, UPDATE!  (Read 1247 times)
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Skunk and Flaming Cats Christmas, UPDATE!
« on: Dec 26th, 2006, 4:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok, looking back, I am beginning to laugh now. We have been fighting a skunk who wants to take up residence in our crawlspace for a month or so, now. He has been fighting for this spot with an opossum who wishes to keep warm here as  well. We have blocked points of entry, used a reccomended concoction of Murphy's Oil soap, detergent and human urine, spraying that around the perimeter, hired a trapper(who takes weekends off) and yet he returns. 5 times in the last month, around 3am, I am awakened by a burning sensation in my eyes, and a horrendously foul odor......always when the traps are down. We caught the opossum, and the trapper took him back into the wild, but the skunk eludes us.
Christmas Day, we were having a fairly large crowd over. I didn't want the house to smell funky, and quite frankly, after a month of dealing with the odor, I'm not certain that we can smell the odor if it's lingering, so, leading up to Christmas, I aired out the house a LOT, and augmented with candles.
This is something we never do, since we have 4 cats. Candles and cat tails just don't work together very well-BUT, as a means to an end.......
As an extra measure, on Christmas, I lit one in each bathroom.........well, one of our cats is a 22# pure white, almost albino persian. His name is Phantom, as he is so quiet when approaching, but when he has arrived, he will make such a ruckus, it is frightening! When speaking on the phone to someone he is known to catch us off-guard, beginning to howl, and invariably, the person on the other end of the phone thinks I'm killing the cat!
Phantom is deaf......but he is not dumb.....orr mute...whatever.. he is, however deaf and stupid!! He decided to jump up on the bathroom counter right before our guests began to arrive, wagged his huge, fluffy tail......and.......
Gil went into our bedroom and immediately called to me in a panic... the bedroom was smoky. I checked the damper on the fireplace, it was open......I could find NOTHING amiss.....we went about our business, till I popped into our bedroom once again, and found Phantom on our bed, shaking like a leaf, his tail charred almost to the root! He had run, tail on fire, from the bathroom, thru the doorway, into our bedroom, behind our bed......past my sheer silk swags on the windows, and across our bed, tail ablaze!!!  We found evidence of charred fur in the bathroom, bedroom, behind the bed...... till, I guess he finally remembered to stop, drop and roll.....he was still smoking a bit when I found him.
I grabbed him in my arms, and Gil and I proceeded to check the tail, cutting off all the fur, shaking like leaves.....Phantom began to kiss me, purring the entire time, then fell asleep in my arms..I thought for a minute he was dead, overcome by shock or something. He is 17-odd yrs old. I am thrilled to report, aside from his embarrasment over his tail, he is perfectly fine.  
The house no longer smells like skunk........it smells like burned fur...........which, I assure you is much worse!
Consequences averted......
Very badly charred cat, with medical issues
Dead cat....
Torched house, and subsequent Christmas Brunch in local hotel......
Secure in the knowledge that house and cat are fine- priceless......
Recovering our sense of humor and moving on to enjoy the day......again, priceless!

NO residual consequences at all........

I do have a whole bunch of candles to give away for the asking!

Hope yours was great!

Cathi, and Phantom, less 1 life........

**********************UPDATE*************** We are thrilleed to announce that we have found a solution to our skunk issue.........
It seems skunks hate the smell of singed cat, and, as long as we can keep that scent in the air, they seems to be staying  away!
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2006, 11:27am by Cathi04 » IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: The Skunk and Flaming Cats Christmas
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 4:47pm »

Hokay....I challenge ANYONE to one up Cathis' Christmas!   laugh

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 6:32pm »

Elaines stories could usually one up that.... but she's already said she had a nice day with no one arrested, no one heading for the ER, no one stuck in the mud, etc.

So Cathi I would have to say that you, my friend...are the winner of the (yet to be named) award.

shaking my head.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
chewy

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 6:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Sounds like you had one hot............never mind.
IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 8:52pm »

Nope. Can't beat this one!

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 3:45am »

Thank goodness the cat is ok!

I hope the skunk kept it's distance.

Merry Christmas, Cathi!
IP Logged

zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 5:46am »

Phantom is deaf......but he is not dumb.....orr mute...whatever.. he is, however deaf and stupid!!                                                                         Somehow I can picture this being YOUR cat. Tongue
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
sailpappy
New Board Old Timer
USA 

sail_pappy   sailpappy1
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 6:13am »

Grin Grin Sorry, I don't mean to take pleasure in your misfortune, but at this time of the morning your story has just set the mood for the day!
  I can just picture your poor cat freaking out, tail blazing and even the odor that permiated the room from the burnt hair!
  Sounds like a Garfield episode! Pretty funny stuff I must say.   Thanks for sharing, sure made my day seem mondane.    Pappy
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 6:19am »

Ok now THAT was funny!  I awwwwed the poor kitty but then couldn't help but laugh regardless!  Hey switch to smelly sprays and plug in air freshners Wink
IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #9 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 10:39am »

Oh, poor Phantom! Poor Cathi and Gil!
And...LMAO...  laugh
Here's hoping that the skunk can't stand the smell of burnt fur, and moves away.
hugs, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
kimmiedawn81
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stuck in the middle with you!

kimmiedawn8199   kimmiedawn21

« Reply #10 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 11:22am »

Oh my gosh!  That's too funny!  laugh

I'm sure at the time that it was WAY not funny.  Glad that you can laugh about it now!

-Kim
IP Logged

Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 11:59am »

For those of you who are feeling guilty about laughing at Phantom's unfortunate accident, please don't! It was quite frightening when it happened, but all is well, really! We were lucky, and, in retrospect, the visual of a flying, flaming cat can be funny!
Of course, the history of this cat is quite funny. When we moved from CA to OR, I had placed our cats in carriers and tranquilized them. Phantom is pretty much at ease wherever he is, so, when we stopped in Redding for the night, he was the only one who actually ventured out of his carrier. The next morning, when my daughter and I were ready to complete our journey, Phantom was nowhere to be found! We searched the hotel grounds compltely, alerted housekeeping, everything we could think of! No cat. We called Gil, who was still in CA, finishing a project, told him we would be staying overnight, that we were certian, if the cat were still alive, he would NOT be out in the 115 deg heat, so we would rest till sunset, and continue searching after that. Told the desk to book us in for another night, and laid down on our beds where we sobbed!! About a half hour of this, and we were sobbed out, exhausted from our morning, so we lay quietly, waiting for sleep, thinking we might need to check a very busy street intersection on which this hotel fronted. A dire thought, but, that would be our plan at sunset.  
Our room, finally in total silence, we began to drift off to sleep, when we both heard a very plaintive cry....not, this cat is DEAF, but, when things settle down, he comes to life.......we threw the mattresses off our beds, and ,sure enough, he was resting in the underside of a box springs as if it were a hammock! He got up, streeeetched and looked at us, totally unaware of our devastation! Dana grabbed him from the box springs, raised both her hands up high in the air and took the cat for a 'victory lap" around the hotel, while I threw the other animals in the car.......
imagine....he could've been left in that hotel room, for some unsuspecting new guest to find him......sometime later!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, he IS deaf....but he is stupid too!
Oh, and we love him dearly!

Cathi-who is laughing, too!
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #12 on: Dec 27th, 2006, 9:43pm »

laugh
thanks Cathi, I needed that laugh.  Glad all y'all are okay.  I pray the craziness will slow down enough for you to jump off to San Diego for a few days!
LY
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Woobie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I luv you guys!!!!!!!!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 12:44pm »

I am LMAO right now!

Cathy - thank you for sharing that story!!  
that's classic!    

So How are you gonna get the skunk.
????????????

IP Logged
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: The Skunk and Flaming Cats Christmas, UPDATE!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 12:48pm »

Woobie-dooo.........
After a few months of setting traps, the trapper has declared us skunk-free, but that's only because he doesn't get that the skunk uses our place as his weekend getaway!! Undecided
We haven't had any evidence of the skunk since Dec 23...maybe he went home for good, or, perhaps he is on Christmas Vacation!
Either way, if he shows up again, I think we're ready for him!

Personally, I think he hates the smell of singed cat!

Cathi

BTW- Phantom is doing just fine, and no longer smells!!
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2006, 12:49pm by Cathi04 » IP Logged

Opus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

(Insert witty comment here)

pjbgravely   pjbgravely
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 9:51am »

Cathi,

Have you tried moth balls? We use them to keep rats and mice out of things.

Paul
IP Logged

Zed-Zed-nine plural-Zed alpha,

There is no place like home.
cathy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

Not all those that wander are lost......

cathy_lucas47   cybersis1965
Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 10:00am »

LMAO oh it's good to read something funny Cathi I loves ya.....so Jezzzeeebellll have ya been bitch slapped recently im officially gonna be the first in 07...!!  Kiss Happy New Year to you....x
IP Logged

My own tears would mean nothing to me, if I could stop you from just shedding one....

Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Jan 1st, 2007, 11:04am »

LOL!! Listen here, Miss Fluffyknickers! You're gonna have be to be brighter than a dimbulb, if you're gonna bitch-slap me! Kiss
Happy New Year, Cathy, now, please, don't be such a stranger!

Cathi(who spells it RIGHT!)  Tongue
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss