Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 9:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « new here -- cluster / sinus headaches »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   new here -- cluster / sinus headaches
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: new here -- cluster / sinus headaches  (Read 367 times)
reechz
New Board Newbie
USA 

new here -- cluster / sinus headaches
« on: Jan 28th, 2006, 12:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi- New 'round here.
My story.
I get horrible headaches behind my right eye-never my left eye-- the "knitting needle stabbing my eyeball" type. It get so bad that I can't function and even makes me nauseaus.

these come and go in cycles year round. I generally wake up with them and they are with me all day until (most times) I fall asleep.

Nothing works to eliminate them...although Vicodin dopes me up enough that I can get some relief. Cold remedys and sprays do not help either.
Ice packs don't work, heat doesn't work. Only sleep helps.
I am 43 and have suffered with this for at least 20 years.

These could be triggered by my sinuses. I have awful sinuses... had an operation to fix a deviated septum 20 years ago and another one to burn out my turbinades and open the passages about 4 years ago. Neither has relieved me of the headaches.

Oddly enough, the headaches also seem to be triggered if I get too much sleep...anything more than 8-9 hours (which only happens on weekends...during the week I get about 6 hours at most). other trigger points are alcohol and smoke (i don't smoke but if i am around it alot it messes with me)

My wife has been after me to visit a neurolgist..
Here are my questions:

can cluster headaches be related to sinus headaches?
does seeing a neurolgist make any sense?
can anyone recommend remedys (homepathic, OTC, perscriptions) that work for my symptons?

thanks for any advice!

rich

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2006, 12:16am by reechz » IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

Re: new here -- cluster / sinus headaches
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2006, 12:49am »

Hi Rich

First, take the "cluster quiz" (4th link down on the left) and let us know how you do.  Look at the "kip scale" and see if the progression is similar to your headaches.

Cluster headaches don't usually last all day . . . . except for what we call shadows which sometimes will linger between attacks.

Your wife is right . . .  you need to see a neurologist for a proper diagnosis.  So far (and be grateful) it doesn't sound like CH.  If it is, you've come to the right place and, yes there are several options for abortives and preventives.

Please take the quiz and be as specific as you can in describing your headaches . . . .  there is a wealth of ha information on this site and others might have suggestions to offer your doc when you see him/her.

Be Safe,  

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 28th, 2006, 8:17am »

There is no relationship between clusters and sinus problems.

Correct Dx is critical. Suggest you look for a headache clinic or, if you must use a neurologist, ask--very directly--about the doc's experience with headache. (We have had too many experience reported of neurologists who lack experience/interest in working with the complexity of headache.)

No OTC meds really work for cluster except Melatonin. Pain meds are barely helpful for most folks.  

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2006, 8:20am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
chewy

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 28th, 2006, 11:27am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
There is no relationship between clusters and sinus problems.

Sinus problems will sometimes trigger a cluster with me. So there is a relationship in that sense.
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

My life as a cluster head
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28th, 2006, 12:01pm »

started with a sinus infection in 1992.  Coinkydink?
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2006, 1:25pm »

Hi Rich,
Welcome to the board, sounds like you've been having a bit of a rough time?  Like Rich N said, take the cluster quiz in the links to the left, you have some symptoms of CH like the stabbing pain, but some of the other traits don't fit the CH pattern.  By all means go see a neurologist, they have a broad base of knowledge concerning headache disorders, and may be able to help you pin down your problems.  In a word, sinus problems can't cause clusters, many of us find that sinus problems do aggravate the CHs though.  Take it easy with the OTC and prescription pain killers, CH or not, they will cause rebound pain if taken too much, that said, get to a neuro to see whats going on.  Please let us know how you make out and if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask.  Best of luck to you.........
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 28th, 2006, 8:22pm »

Hi Rich,

Sorry you've been having such a hard time of it.

You've been given some very sound advice.  From what you've described so far, it doesn't sound like clusters, but each of us is different.  Be grateful if it isn't clusters.

There are many different headache syndromes out there - each with it's own specific treatment regimen.  Get thee to a headache clinic or neurologist who specializes in HA's.  Take the results of your cluster quiz with you - along with a headache diary that notes the specifics of each time you suffer.  Briefly ... note the time of day, duration, intensity, what works and doesn't, etc.

Keep us informed,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #7 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 4:13pm »

Snap - even had the sinus surgery too.

Read up, do the tests and get fully diagnosed (fortunately my GP agreed with me!).  

Best abortives for me are O2 and clusterbusters.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss