Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 6:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Long time lurker finally coming out to commiserate »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Long time lurker finally coming out to commiserate
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Long time lurker finally coming out to commiserate  (Read 415 times)
bella_lunatic
New Board Newbie
USA 

Not again, not again, not again...

Email

Long time lurker finally coming out to commiserate
« on: Feb 24th, 2006, 6:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been lurking for years.  I had my first cluster March 1994 at 20, and have for at least the last 6 years been on a schedule of 3 cycles a year, about 2 to 3 months long with the exception of the cycle that starts sometime in early summer.  It is usually about 4 weeks long, but produces some of the most intense hits.  The cycles almost blend into one another except I do have at least a few PF weeks between them.  The longest I typically go PF is between July and October.  When I start the cycle of cycles all over.

I was officially diagnosed in 2001, after 7 years, and being told it was sinus problems (including 2 surgeries), TMJ, allergies, eye strain, migraines, depression related pain, and my personal favorite (and I quote) a garden variety tension headache.  Asked that neuro if he ever had a tension headache, and when he told me he had, I asked if he had visions of jumping off the top of the building his office was in, and making sure it was head first during one of "his tension headaches".

Usually oral triptans (currently Relpax) have worked, so long as they are taken early enough.  If I don't catch it in time, mostly the nighttime beasts,  I will just try to ride it out.  Water has helped, about 1/3 of the time.  O2 has helped, but I have found that my next hit is usually more intense, and won't respond to O2.  I am on Zoloft, although this was given strictly for depression, and it doesn't seem to help other than I think the hits are maybe less severe, but this could just be completely coincidental.  I was prescibed Verapamil (by the same neuro who initially diagnosed tension HA).  By the second dose I ended up in the ER, because I couldn't stop passing out.  Common side effect, I am told, when someone has BP somewhere in the 80/50 range and being given high BP medications.   Tongue Needless to say I never went back to that neuro, and filed a complaint with the state board over that one.

For the past three years have been going through all of this without health insurance (my husband and I are building a business, and so far there isn't enough money to buy health insurance).  I am only on the Zoloft and Relpax, because I have qualified for help through Pfizer, and my GP.  But just found out that I can now only get 12 Relpax per month.  Well that is about a weeks worth in my world.  I don't know what else to do.  Anyone have any ideas.  I have never had any problems dealing with this until now, and the thought of having to go through this with no meds at all is terrifying.

I have been lurking for so long now, and have drawn so much inspiration, and some great tips from all of you, and I wanted to thank all of you.  You are helping.  Even if you don't know the person you are helping is there.  Sorry for the novel  Embarassed but thanks if you got through all of it.  It feels good to be able to get this off my chest.

Bella
IP Logged

"I imagine God is weary of being called down on both sides of an argument."
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Long time lurker finally coming out to commise
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 9:03pm »

I love getting thru long posts like yours, they echo so much of what I went through. I'm episodic like you, I get 2 cycles a year usually. I've had great luck with lithium. I take 1200mg a day when I'm on cycle. I'm a 46 year old male and weigh about 200 lbs for comparison purposes. For the headaches that break thru, I use oxygen and cafergot. I take the cafergot as soon as I start the oxygen. It seems to keep the headache from coming back for 8-12 hours. The lithium, cafergot and oxygen are all relatively cheap medications. For a person without health insurance it might be an avenue to try if you haven't yet. Praying you find something that works. Having nothing to fight the beast with scares me.  Good luck.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 9:06pm »

Welcome Bella.

Dig in, look around, make yourself comfy, its cold lurking outside.

Your questions will be answered in due time. The best in the Cluster world are here to help.
IP Logged

MJ
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 9:56pm »

Hi Bella,  

I am very glad to see you come out of the cold. No need to hang outside, when you are Home. Welcome home Bella. We are sorry you are in pain, but there is some good info here, and a large number of resources. But most of all, you are part of a family, which sometimes can help a lot more than one realizes

Dragnlance
IP Logged

RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 2:22am »

Hi Bella and add my "Welcome Home"

Often people report they might get a rebound headache shortly after killing the beast with 02 . . . . a general suggestion has been to reduce the lpm on your regulator and continue breathing for . . .? . . . minutes.  We're all different.

What flow rate do you use?  Non-rebreather mask?  I ask because so many, when they do get a script, end up with an 8 lpm regulator and nasal canulae (nose-thingy). . . . which isn't near as effective as a 15 lpm regulator with the non-rebreather mask.

There will be plenty of folks along who have experience with all the meds you mentioned. I have only used Verapamil and Melatonin, plus water/water/water.

Be Safe,   PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 12:24pm »

Welcome aboard Bella.

You've been at this for some time so I'll skip the usual "need to do" advice and stick to a brief welcome.

Stick around to help and be helped when needed.

Best Wishes

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
bella_lunatic
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 1:40pm »

Thanks for the warm welcome!  I don't know why it was so hard to make that first post.  Possibly my other dreaded affliction of being painfully shy.  Smiley  But it was nice to get such warm responses.

And to answer Richard's question.  My GP is kind of green on the whole cluster thing (I'm his only cluster patient) so it has been trial by fire with us.  I printed up the info from Dr. Kudrow on O2 and took it to him, and he wrote out the script according to his instruction.  So yeah I have a 15 lpm reg, and the non rebreather mask.  But I think I will give a try with reducing the flow.  I have always maxed out the flow, perhaps it is too much.  It is definitely worth a try.  

Trying to be upbeat right now, but I am just coming back in cycle, and the meds issue couldn't have come at a worse time.  At least I could have stockpiled during the PF times if I had known!  I hate this.

Thanks again you are all life savers!
Bella
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 2:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Now that you've outed yourself.

Hows the weather in Reno?
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 2:23pm »

Nice to meet you.             Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
bella_lunatic
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 2:29pm »

on Feb 25th, 2006, 2:06pm, chewy wrote:
Now that you've outed yourself.

Hows the weather in Reno?

It is absolutely beautiful.  Looks like an early spring.  Sunny and about 60 today.   Really want to get up boarding, but I blew out my knee 6 weeks ago, and I don't want to waste the money for a lift ticket when the beast is famous for rearing his ugly head at the worst times. Tongue

Nice to meet you.
Bella
IP Logged

PL259
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 5:38pm »

Hello Bella,
Glad you finally came out. Sounds like you have quite a history. Finding the right mix for each person is sometimes difficult to say the least. I started off on 02 at 7 lpm. That worked for a long time, I finally eased up to 10. My last cycle was the only time I ever had anything strange come up with the 02, not rebounds, just headache after headache, a few minutes apart, although the 02 continued to work. But I ain't never been "right" so I am not a good example  Cheesy  
Welcome, make yourself at home.
IP Logged

I don't really exist.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss