Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 8:09am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New to CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   New to CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New to CH  (Read 239 times)
wgriffith79
New Board Newbie
USA 

wgriffith79

New to CH
« on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I am so happy to find this site. I am new to cluster headaches, I began having them two weeks ago (had a bout with them a year ago) and did not know where to go or who to talk to.

My roommates did not beleive me untill last night when they found me on the floor rolling around screaming in pain.

Once again, I am so so happy to find this wonderful group (not happy you all suffer as well). Thanks for all the great advise and good luck. (here is hoping for the first good night sleep in two weeks!)  Smiley
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: New to CH
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 11:23am »

You'll find much good information and support. Please explore the buttons, left, and take a look at these sources.
-----------
MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $59 at Amazon.Com.  It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

=======
A very good outline of current thinking on treatments:

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 2:04pm »

Welcome Griffith!!

Hope you do get a break from the beast!!

Hang in there!!
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
TonyG1
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 6:51pm »

Welcome WG!  So sorry you're in pain but glad you found the site!

T.
IP Logged
wgriffith79
New Board Newbie
USA 

wgriffith79

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 8:38pm »

I start Prednisone today, is there a high success rate with this? and are there side effects associated with it?  

Thanks,

Will
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss