Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 2:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Re: HI, I AM NEW HERE AND I THINK I HAVE THIS HELL »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   2006-2007 Getting to Know Ya Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Re: HI, I AM NEW HERE AND I THINK I HAVE THIS HELL
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Re: HI, I AM NEW HERE AND I THINK I HAVE THIS HELL  (Read 1435 times)
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #25 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 2:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Welcome home DWAL

Your not alone.

Good advice given above. The things we all initially thought would help, generally increase the pain, even advil and tylenol. Untill you see a doc a clear head to stay focused is maybe best. Theres allways oxygen breathing it in at 100% helps a lot of folks.

By now you have found that an attack allways goes away. It will return but it goes away.  
I gather they last up to an hour and a 1/2. Muster the strength to accept it if you can and like the rest of us its another battle to win.  
Pacing and being upright is critical for most of us when hit hard. Push-ups at the start of an attack can help me greatly. we are all a little different in what helps. Cold ice packs on the nerve, rinsing mouth and gums with ice cold water can help. Others like heat.

Like thebbz says it wont kill ya. It certainly feels like it though. I agree on the sleep just do it if you can. Your gonna get hit wether you sleep or not.

I have heard that chewing an imitrex pill can speed its delivery. The trex does nothing for me but helps an awfull lot of people here.
IP Logged

MJ
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #26 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 10:27am »

Good to hear you got some rest. Grin Now all you need is a proper and correct diagnosis ,followed with a treatment plan. This is treatable. And you dont have to go through quite so much pain.
Now kick some demon ass.
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #27 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 10:59am »

Smiley  I'm glad you got some rest, Dave. Keep reading...
pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 12:05pm »

Hello Dave:

I have e-mailed you my phone number.  I am LOCAL in Columbus.  Sorry you've had to come here for help, but welcome to clusterville.

Ray

Call Me!
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
luveemom
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #29 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 1:23pm »

Hey Dave,
I got your PM last night...I sent ya one back but I didn't hear from ya and I had to get some zzz's.  I hope you are hangin in there.  I am new here too and I am in the middle of a rotten cycle myself.  If there is anything I can do to help ya out let me know.  Sorry your havin such a bad time of it.  Sending you PF wishes.

alicia
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 1:49pm »

Dave and I had a chat.  It's nice to be local!

Ray
IP Logged

luveemom
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #31 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 1:57pm »

Hey Ray,
Thanks, I knew someone on here would take care of him.  I just wanted to make sure he didn't think I blew him off last night.  I was concerned when I didn't hear back from his PM.  That's great that you are local!  What's better than that?  PF I guess..

alicia
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #32 on: Aug 4th, 2007, 9:20pm »

Local...somebody to borrow 02 from. Ray will get ya squared away.
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Aug 6th, 2007, 1:45am »

Dave,

That sounds great!  It looks like I'll be out of town from 8/8- 8/15.  Call anytime.

With regards,

Ray
IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #34 on: Aug 6th, 2007, 2:25pm »

The oxygen in that link is only 90% Dave. We need 100%  

You see the neuro tomorrow, right? Be sure to take your headache diary, and talk to him about oxygen and Imitrex shots. I can't advise you on the Imitrex you have now, because I can't use it at all.
pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

zapparulz
New Board Newbie
USA 

take an aspirin.....

« Reply #35 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 8:31pm »

on Aug 7th, 2007, 12:41pm, DWAL wrote:
I was getting a headache at 7 last night and i knew it was going to be bad because it was escalating fast. took the imitrex for the first time ever and it was gone in 15 minutes. I still got twinges in my head, felt flush, sick to my stomich (not real bad), dizzy, tired, kind of shakey. The side affects were better than the pain. I took it again today.  

hey dave-

hope your doing ok-

be careful not to overload on the immitex-

you can get bad rebound headaches after too much of it-

peace
IP Logged
rolo65

Email

« Reply #36 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 8:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 9th, 2007, 8:31pm, zapparulz wrote:

hey dave-

hope your doing ok-

be careful not to overload on the immitex-

you can get bad rebound headaches after too much of it-

peace

Very good advice!  Cool
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #37 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 12:34am »

Dave, have you looked into melatonin yet?
It's over the counter, relatively cheap and helps a lot of us avoid night time attacks.
IP Logged

RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

« Reply #38 on: Aug 16th, 2007, 3:09am »

Hi Dave . . . and Welcome Home

I haven't posted in quite a while (have been mostly PF this summer), but had to check in and "dip an oar".

I first came here 2/02, after a year of mis-diagnosis, non-working meds, "normal" tests, CTs, etc., like many here.  When my wife found this site, I was having 6-8 hits per day, sometimes 3-5 at night, Kip 5-9 . . . most 20-45 min and some 1 1/2 - 2 hrs.    These guys gave me a "name-for-the-pain" and the info to battle the beast.

I am thrilled you got to a neuro today and hope that an 02 script was among those you carried away.  I can't take Imitrex (arterie blockage), so 02 is my only abortive. . . . can usually kill the beast in minutes if used early-on in the attack.  You will need a non-rebreather mask to start with, and as soon as you can . . . order a Clustermasx . . . well worth the $ . . . more effective and I can use it at a lower setting on my regulator.

Please do not discount the "water X 3" therapy.  Five years ago, it was Verapamil that finally gave me a pain-free day (about three weeks after coming here), and I used it up until about 2 1/2 years ago when I had to stop because of uncomfortably low blood pressure readings and other medical issues . . . . which required me to drink large ammounts of water . . . attacks started to drop in frequency/intensity . . . . and I ALWAYS have 02 at hand to abort.

I also used Melatonin to good effect . . . . you just have to get used to the grogginess when a night hit breaks through and it takes a minute to realize what woke you and then reach for the 02.

DO NOT USE THE STRAP ON THE MASK AT NIGHT!  When you get used to it and if it works for you (as it does for most of us), it's very easy to lay back down when you feel him leaving and fall asleep with the mask in place and you'll wake strangling for air when the tank runs out . . . uncomfortable AND a waste of 02.

Beer and alchohol was and still is a major trigger for me . . . a real beer or shot of brandy will trigger an attack even during the PF times.

You're off to a great start, and you've stepped into a great family of folks who truly know your pain.  One of my favorite motto's here is, "Nothing works for everyone, but SOMETHING works for everyone" . . . and here you have a very good chance of finding the "something" that works for you.

Be Safe,    PFDANS

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: HI, I AM NEW HERE AND NEW TO THIS HELL
« Reply #39 on: Aug 17th, 2007, 3:19am »

Hello Dave:

I was out of town for a week, but you can feel free to call me more often, as now I am back.  I used the Stadol Nasal Spray before, and cannot recommend it based upon my experiences with it.  If that's highly addictive, it wasn't for me.  It made me a super grouch and did NOT lessen my pain.

The Decadron taper should lessen the number of hits and allow you a break and allow the other meds to have a chance to work.

Read the Imitrex tip to the left and please give the oxygen a thorough checkout as it helps so many of us.

I've heard that melatonin and sleeping meds may augment each other, so you might be pretty groggy.  Most of them are addictive, so be careful with them too!

Best of luck for PF days and nights!

Ray
IP Logged

southwalessunshine
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Email

Re: HI, I AM NEW HERE AND NEW TO THIS HELL
« Reply #40 on: Aug 17th, 2007, 6:59pm »

Ask if you can get 02.  It has no side effects and aborts quickly.  If it works for you then you won't have to wprry about the injections etc.  I have recently been given 02 but keep the imi pills and injections for emergencies.  You seem to be having some luck with the Red Bull.  I didn't until i started washing it down with caffeine tablets and it works a treat on my mild shadows.  However when i get an all out beast, the injections are the only port of call.  I too am weirded out by them and no matter how bad the pain is, I can't bring myself to jab myself.  Luckily I have a partner who has overcome the weirdness of it and does it for me.  Keep on reading here, honestly you learn new stuff all the time.  i've only been visiting this site for a little while and it's a great source of info and the understanding and support from fellow CH sufferers is invaluable x
IP Logged

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.
Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
Helen keller
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss