Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 6:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « vitamins? other natural remedy? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Supporter's Corner
   Children and Cluster's
(Moderators: Margi, DJ)
   vitamins? other natural remedy?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: vitamins? other natural remedy?  (Read 2698 times)
princess
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

vitamins? other natural remedy?
« on: Feb 6th, 2003, 12:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, My son is 9  yrs old and he suffers from the symptoms of cluster headaches. I would prefer to attempt natural remedies before using other medication. Have any of you found certain vitamins to help? or anything??  Cry
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: vitamins? other natural remedy?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6th, 2003, 12:19pm »

Hi Princess, so tough to treat kids, isn't it?  The only 'natural' helps we know of are ice applied directly to the pain, oxygen as an abortive, and careful application of the water treatment (but check with your doc first!).  
You could try feverfew, but that is more of a migraine herb.
Best thing you can do for your child is get him to see a paediatric neurologist a.s.a.p. for an accurate diagnosis.  We're not doctors here, by any means.

Have you recognized any food triggers?  MSG is a big one for a lot of folks and, controversially so is the candida theory.  Eliminating candida from the diet means no dairy, sugar or yeast.  

Keep us posted and best of luck to you.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27th, 2004, 6:54pm »

While I have yet to get to try this.  My father has told me that (Stinging Nettle Tea
)  Is supposed to help.  He is sending me some fresh nettles from Washington State.  

Good Luck!
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Margi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2004, 10:08am »

Stinging Nettle Tea?  For CLUSTERS?  Please be very careful using it - a lot of folks are allergic to it.  My mother had a terrible reaction to it that almost entirely closed her throat!   Shocked  She was taking it for arthritis.  NEVER again!

Here is what it is used to treat - is your dad thinking that your headaches are related to hay fever??

Ailment Treated:
 Nettle is used to treat coughs, tuberculosis, arthritis, allergies, anemia, diminished sex drive, urinary tract infections, hives, and lupus. It also increases milk production in nursing mothers. The leaf is used to relieve hay fever, seasonal allergies, kidney stones, and an enlarged prostate.  
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
floridian

Email

Do the Nettle Dance??
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30th, 2004, 9:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I will never forget wandering through a patch of stinging nettles when I was in high school.  The 5 minute dance I did was pretty intense; I would have flown if I were wearing wings!  

Stinging nettles can cause a really strong reaction if they are fresh.  There are sharp cells that inject histamine and other powerful chemicals.  

Well cooked nettles generally have no such effects - boiled nettles have been a vegetable in Europe for most of history.  

Nettle tea or capsules may or may not cause that effect - depending on if the histamine is still active or not.  

And individual susceptibilty does vary.  People can be allergic to anything with protein (peanuts, latex, shellfish, etc).  

Quote:
Int Arch Allergy Appl Immunol. 1990;91(1):43-6. Related Articles, Links

Immunoreactive leukotrienes in nettle plants (Urtica urens).

Czarnetzki BM, Thiele T, Rosenbach T.

University Clinics, Department of Dermatology, Munster, FRG.

In order to clarify the mechanisms of urtication after contact with stinging plants, nettle (Urtica urens) hair and whole-plant extracts were examined for the presence of leukotriene (LT) B4 and LTC4 by reverse phase high-pressure liquid chromatography (RP-HPLC) and radioimmunoassay (RIA) and for in vitro neutrophil chemotactic activity and histamine contents. Both hair and plant extracts contained high levels of LTB4 and LTC4 by RIA as well as histamine. The presence of LTB4 was supported by RP-HPLC elution profiles and by in vitro chemotaxis. Nettle hairs therefore resemble insect venoms and cutaneous mast cells with regard to their spectrum of mediators.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2004, 9:37am by floridian » IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #5 on: May 16th, 2004, 3:50pm »

Well The information he sent me from his (GULP) Homeopathic Doc.  Says that it is used for headaches but does not specify what the headaches might be caused from.  I have yet to attempt to use this idea.

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
thomas

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 18th, 2004, 4:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Melatonin is "natural" and it helps a lot of people.
IP Logged
Ashley
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: May 1st, 2005, 8:35pm »

Hello I just read your post and for me Feverfew and Ginger together work. Also vitamin B2, B 12, and Magnesium hope you lots of luck take care.
Ashley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss