Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:05am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question: Trends at the End of a Cycle »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question: Trends at the End of a Cycle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question: Trends at the End of a Cycle  (Read 757 times)
BC_Battler
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Stay strong

Question: Trends at the End of a Cycle
« on: Jan 21st, 2006, 12:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey everyone;

This is my first CH cycle, and I pray that it is starting to wind down. I've done loads of reading but have not come across any mention of trends/symptoms that indicate a cycle is nearing completion.  

I have had attacks for about 4 weeks now, but the last few days have really lightened up - no major attacks (nothing above a 6), and no attacks in the middle of the night for the past 2 days. Yesterday all I had was a mild shadow, and even that was interrupted with more PF time than not. I woke up this morning feeling great, no shadows. After the weeks of sleep deprivation and constant pain, I'm definitely feeling optimistic.

I guess my question is - has it been the experience of others on the board that their cycles wind down like this, or do they usually just stop? Or am I just being deceived and they might come screaming back? I know everyone is different, and I've certainly gauged from the info on the board that these things are incredibly hard to predict - I just wanted to get a feel from those who have been through it before.

Thank you for all of your support.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

Re: Question: Trends at the End of a Cycle
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 2:19pm »

When mine wind down, I go 2 or 3 weeks with one or two HA's one day, then one or two PF days, and so forth. Those HAs never get past Kip 5 or 6, however my last cycle ended with a Kip 9......
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 2:26pm »

I'll let you know if it ever happens
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Chonas
New Board Junior
Argentina 

Can I buy you a drink?

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 4:41pm »

Except for the Kip 9, my cycles end pretty much as  Marlinsfan's. Slowly but surely with less pain, and then  the beast takes a vacation.
IP Logged

Here we go again...
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 8:08pm »

I don't know how mine end. I take lithium, when I go 4 weeks w/out any break thru headaches I taper off the lithium over a 1 week period. If I get bit I go back on the lithium. I keep trying to wean off until I don't get bit. Ususally around 8 to 12 weeks for me.  

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
BC_Battler
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Stay strong

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 8:26pm »

Thanks for the replies. Intensity is definitely ramping down for me right now...I'll keep my fingers crossed.
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21st, 2006, 11:30pm »

Are you a beer drinker????    If so, then drink one...if the cycle is over, all will be ok.  If the cycle is not over....hold on to your shorts....cause it'll surely be a trigger.

Good luck....hope your pf time is close.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Mine usually end...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 1:53am »

..first a drop in intensity, or pain level, and then a drop in frequency.  This was taking up to twelve weeks in the first few years.  Now, If I start prednisone tapers at the first sign, I can break the cycle in a couple of weeks though this can vary also.  Fingers crossed.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
zwibbs/Scott
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stay Strong !!!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 2:46am »

I am no expert, but as an episode CH sufferer since 1977...I usually have a major bell-ringer--with residual pain for two days then it really tails off, and poof they're gone. I agree with the poster about having an alcoholic beverage--because if it isn't done with its nastiness--You'll know right away!!! I wish you PF!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

There's always light at the end of the Tunnel.
upnover
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:56am »

Mine seem to do the same as mentioned less intense and less frequently.. I'll go from about 5 aday at the peak and then they taper to 1 pf day then some shadows then couple days pf etc.. I don't do the beer test . I think If I don't give them enough time to go away I'm throwing myself under the train. Don't get me wrong I like my BEER... I try and wait about a week or so being pf before I start the 12oz curls. Hope you at the end of your cycle! Do some curls for me  laugh
IP Logged

Tom
BC_Battler
New Board Newbie
Canada 

Stay strong

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 2:12pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:56am, upnover wrote:
Mine seem to do the same as mentioned less intense and less frequently.. I'll go from about 5 aday at the peak and then they taper to 1 pf day then some shadows then couple days pf etc.. I don't do the beer test . I think If I don't give them enough time to go away I'm throwing myself under the train. Don't get me wrong I like my BEER... I try and wait about a week or so being pf before I start the 12oz curls. Hope you at the end of your cycle! Do some curls for me  laugh

I agree - I'm not sure I'm ready to do the beer test yet. I had one early on in my cycle (before I knew I was a CH sufferer) and it triggered a really ugly all night attack that put me in emerg. I think I'll wait for at least a week or two of PF time before I try the 12 oz curl test!

I'm still experiencing shadows, and had one minor lvl 5 attack in the middle of the night last night, so it's FAR better than it was.

Thanks for all of your thoughts.  
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 22nd, 2006, 7:46pm »

I never consider my cycle over until the shadows are completely gone.  Those generally linger for a couple of weeks after my last true hit.  So, my cycles are alot like those who've already responded.  Gradually decreasing in intensity and duration until nothing but shadow pain.  Then a couple more weeks, then over ... begin weaning off the Verapamil.

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
ArCane
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Onward through the fog

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 2:04pm »

My cycles always ramp up in intensity and frequency untill they hit a "climax" in which I am getting hit multiple times everyday, at high kip levels.  Once the climax is over (about 1-2 weeks) it ramps down in intensity and frequency.  The cycle is done when I dont have a hit or a shadow for 2 weeks straight.  At which time I usually have a beer and celebrate  Grin.
IP Logged

Alchemy’s First Law of Equivalent Exchange: To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 3:24pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2006, 2:12pm, BC_Battler wrote:
I think I'll wait for at least a week or two of PF time before I try the 12 oz curl test!

Call me a wimp, but after my last cycle, I waited one full month before I indulged in a cold one. Two weeks into my PF time I went to Club Med in the Bahamas, where everything was included. Open bar all week long, and all I drank was coconut water or regular coke (the aspartame in the diet coke is also a trigger).
IP Logged
wip5150
New Board Junior
USA 

I have tired head

wip5150
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24th, 2006, 12:53pm »

Mine usually tail off as descirbed above - 1 or 2 a day but the pain level is much more "tolerable".  Then I'll have shadows for a week or two.  There is no way to describe the elation after finally sleeping the night through without waking up with an ice pick in your eye.

Best of luck.
IP Logged

Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight? I have, and man it hurts
djsound
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 10:39pm »

I just have one big bang at the end.  In fact, the last time during a 9, there was a severe burning inside the head and then peace.  No residue.  I took a large dose of melatonin that night before the kamikaze hit and I swear it had a major effect.   I would guess that each time would be different though depending on the weather, food, drugs and age.
IP Logged
agonymum
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #16 on: Jan 28th, 2006, 4:30am »

i think or hope im getting to the end of this cycle , it started in september.
my hits were every 4 hours day and night at the peak of it .
at the moment im getting 2 smaller hits one at 5pm and one at 5/6am.  
2 nights ive slept through till 7 and got a smaller hit at 9am, then 5 again .
last night was hit at 4am ,only lasted half hour , so basically i think its a mixture of less hits and lower pain levels over the tailoring period .

hope so anyway , it seems such a long time ive been suffering ! also have shadows most of the day but they are bearable and do respond to co-codamol but this makes me drowsy .

its took the whole of this cycle to get the docs to listen to me and i have ct scan on tuesday , and neurology apt at last .
ive had no meds or abortives , only hot water bottle ,its been hell , fingers crossed it is on its way out never to return .

pf days to all xx
IP Logged
RDubois
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

RDubois   RDubois

« Reply #17 on: Jan 29th, 2006, 2:34pm »

laugh laugh laugh Hi BC,

I'm reaching the end of  a cycle, (I hope), and it's pretty much the way the others have outlined. I thought I had finished this cycle but I had a moderate CH last night (exactly 2 hours after I went lights out). During the past week, I've only had 2 weak ones during the night.

I think my cycles, over the years, have pretty much followed
the norm,i.e. they build up to a crescendo when you want to die, then they tail off and hopefully go away. The interesting thing is that I think some of the actions we take to avoid them, leads us to believe that these things can be brought to a conclusion by something we do. It seems that when all is said & done, thay come & go of their own volition & I don't know if we can do anything about it. Certainly, we can mitigate the pain by avoiding the triggers (Beer, beer, beer anyone?), Stress etc. but I say again, everytime I have a headache, I have a new theory as to it's cause. Cheer up, I'm only 75 and in my 21st CF year. They do diminish with age. (See, there's another theory whose veracity is still only a "theory"Wink.

Good luck. You don't need to use the beer test. They hurt too much to stretch your luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RED
IP Logged
RDubois
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

RDubois   RDubois

« Reply #18 on: Jan 29th, 2006, 2:40pm »

Hey BC,

I meant CH not CF. I hope to be PF soon, and I hope you will be too.

RED
IP Logged
CHater
New Board Newbie
Belgium 

I hope sex is not a trigger, hehe...

« Reply #19 on: Jan 29th, 2006, 3:33pm »

I am out of a cycle for 8 weeks now, that cycle lasted for 14 weeks...grrr/terrible.

I eat, drink, party anything I want.

Sorry to hear you can't get tthrough!!

My cycles always end sudden, from 1 day to another. I wait 5 days and then I do the alcohol test, a few beers or wine and.... YES it's over.

I keep my oxygen bottle a few weeks before returning and then normal life 'till next cluster.

I hope it stays away for a few years (or ever) ...

I wish all of you the best and lotsa PF periods.

BR
Herwig
IP Logged

It hurts..but relax and stay positive.
Our life isn't in danger by CH, only life-quality is somehow affected.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss