Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 3:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Shadows »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Shadows
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Shadows  (Read 655 times)
wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Switzerland 

Shadows
« on: Feb 4th, 2006, 4:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Are shadows.... that little indian with his tomawhak waiting behind the next rock (and you know it) just dieing to hit on you?  or what are they (?) other than annoying and a phsycological killer.....
IP Logged

MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Shadows
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:31pm »

Thats it or the beast just gnawing on the side of your head licking and tasting waiting for the main course to sink his teeth.
IP Logged

MJ
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

The prelude!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:40pm »

In full cycle a thirty second warning that the beast is charging down the path.  As I am winding down in my cycle shadows will evolve into a series of daily events that never escalate above Kip 4-5. but can stretch into a full day in duration and only serve as brutal reminder of what could be.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:43pm »

I like MJ's description. It's the teeth of the beast just starting to gnaw on you. You know it's gonna hit, the only question is when? It hurts enough to annoy you, but the dread is worse then the pain.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:55pm »

on Feb 4th, 2006, 5:43pm, Guiseppi wrote:
You know it's gonna hit, the only question is when? It hurts enough to annoy you, but the dread is worse then the pain.

Guiseppi

It doesn't necessarily hit. It may just stay at a Kip 1-3,4 level and not get worse. And yep, it is irritating as hell. My last 'real' cluster was about 7 years ago. Every year since, starting in late January/early February, my 6 to 8 week cluster has only been shadows, Kip1-3. I have had a few, but only a few, late night, REM sleep mode, wake-up calls. And those were only a Kip 5-6. I'm getting older and maybe out growing mine? Heck, I don't know.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 9:00am »

I like to say shadows are many of the typical symptoms of an attack without a high level of discomfort/pain.  Just small reminders from the nightmare that its still there.  

Mine occur almost exclusively during the day and initially I thought they signaled the onset of a full blown attack.  Over time I've learned to distinguish a shadow from the beginning of the real deal.

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
robertrickun
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 5th, 2006, 10:42pm »

Hi fellow sufferers!
So I am having a cycle of clusters.  But the last two nights I have had two hour shadows(my head feels like it is in a vice)?
What do you take.  The oxygen seems to knock out the clusters but not the shadow.
Do you use your imitrex before the cluster comes?
Any regular headache medicine seem to work? Any ideas?  I am about two and half weeks into my cluster cycle-completed my predisone regime and am taking two verapnil per day.
robertrickun@sbcglobal.net
IP Logged
CHTom

Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 12:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've been chronic for 10 years and have never had a "shadow", unless the definition is when an attack begins at a relatively low level and then moves up, rather qucikly to anywhere from 8-10.  Whenever I start to get pain, it always increases to a full blown attack-wish that I could say it was just "Me and My Shadow".
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

I get long..
« Reply #8 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 12:21pm »

..grinding shadows kiplevel 4 that will persist beyond 8 hours.  If my tloerance gets low, the only thing that I have tried that will take them out for me, and it does every time, is Eliptran(Relpax), though I try to limit it's use to extrreme cases.  It's very expensive and not at all good for you I am sure.

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
imnotbub
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 2:50pm »

I think of a shadow as a reminder of not to do anything stupid. I have learned that their presence tells me not to have that beer. If it is destined to not get any worse, I can usually lessen it's discomfort with a cup of strong coffe or a red bull. It sure beats a full fledged dance session.
IP Logged

Life may not be good, but I think it beats the alternative, and if it doesn't, we'll find out soon enough
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 9:21pm »

I prefer MJ's explaination!  
The monster gnawing on the less sensitive parts of your skull, maybe out of bordom, thinking bout when it will need to claw out some fresh meat...

dragn
IP Logged

tessa_c
New Board Newbie
USA 

your headhurts? last night i tried to cut mine off

Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 12:50am »

oh my god...   yoiu guys are like tghe person in my head really explaining how things feel..

ive always gotten this pressure or pain behind my left eye  (the side of the chs)  even with out an attack.  the my new neuro said it could be tiny clusters.  my old neuro told me not to worry about it.   it hurt enough to bothr me but i could still function.  with low light and min noise.  half an imitex (100 mg) and it was gone, but would come back in a day or later that night.

my story is under    yippie im not alone in the newcomers section
IP Logged

"if you didnt define yourself for yourself, you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you and be eaten alive." audre lorde
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 7:46pm »

For me, the shadows are really a constant, annoying low-grade discomfort in my temple.  They're usually with me starting at the peak of cycle and linger several weeks after the last true kip hits.  When they ramp up a little from a 2-3, I usually find a cup of really strong coffee knocks them back.  Haven't had any luck at all with other remedies.

The worst part - constant pain causes depression.  I could probably live with the beast as long as I had good abortives, but those shadows are the true downer.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 8:57pm »

For me the Shadows are the pain that is kind of still there after the CH has come.  IT can last for hours or even days between attacks.  It is when the attacks come and the shadows hang on so I get NO RESPIT from the pain that wears me down the most.  That is when the STADOL helps.
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss