Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 1:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Few questions from new member »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Few questions from new member
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Few questions from new member  (Read 351 times)
danimal
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Few questions from new member
« on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone. I'am a new member and have been battling these monsters for about ten years now. My most recent episodes were in Sept.05 and was finally diagnosed by a Dr. at the ER. My neurologist has me taking 2 doses of Depakote daily and Imitrex 100mg during onset of attacks.My questions areCheesyoes anybody else take Depakote daily? and The other night my wife and I were having sex and at the moment of orgasm I started to feel a "flash" and mild headaches immediatly afterwards and now feel like maybe start of another cycle.Has this ever happened to any of you.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Few questions from new member
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:36am »

The pill form of Imitrex is not as effective for cluster as is the injection--on time for onset of action is too slow.

Sex has been recognized as a trigger for some folks.

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  

Suggest you review your meds plan with the doc.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
danimal
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 7:17am »

Thanks for the info I will take it with me to my Dr. appointment next week.This is the coolest website.It has been a nightmare the last few years since my attacks have been much more severe and longer lasting.None of the doctors really knew to much about my problem and would often shrug them off as typical migraines or even sinus infections until this most recent episode.I have learned more from reading the info and stories from fellow sufferers than anyone in the medical field I have dealt with.I certainly appreciate all of your advice.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:31am »

Bob's advice is the best, print out the link and bring it with you when you see your neuro. There are very few doctors who see clusters so bringing them all the info makes their job easier and increases your odds of success. Welcome to our family and please tell us what does and doesn't work for you. It's how we all learn. Wishing you luck!!

PS I'm fortunate, sex is not a trigger on or off cycle!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 1:49pm »

Imitrix nasal spray works just as fast 10-15 min. as the injection and you don't have to deal with the pokes just the nasal drainage.  Tradeoffs Huh

I would recomend trying verapamil(calan) up to 960mg and/or lithium(900mg) or predisone taper or topamax or neurontin or elavil.  See the link on the left for oxygen<==  It is a life savor.  You would use it instead of the imitrex.  It works in about 15 min. and your ha is gone and it is a natural method.  Usually the insurance companies will only give you 6 ns a month.  So you need something to supplement the imitrex so you can be pain free.  Also most ha last 45 min. to 2 hours long.  Waiting an hr for a tablet to kick in can be unexceptable.  You need fast relief.  Depakote has been tried here on the board by a few but with poor/no positive results.  Good luck!    
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
debrakayjohnson
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 2:30pm »

Welcome.  I'm a newbie too and do enjoy the website and the help it does offer.  

Two cycles ago I started taking Depakote and it shortened my cycle by one month.  My last cycle I started taking the depakote again and my left eye swelled shut, and my cycle was one month longer.  This cycle I was taken off of it.  I hope it works for you.

As far as sex as a trigger, yes definately!  Also found that smoke from fire is a trigger.  Unfortunately, husband is a fireman!  lol
IP Logged
pfunk

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I took depakote a few years ago and it didn't seem to work too well for me.  The docs started me off on topamax and it worked fairly well as a preventative (just be sure you look at its side effects.  I got kidney stones.)  I have since begun verapamil and it has given me some relief in that I seem to only be getting 2-3 hits a day instead 5-7.  I've only been onit for about a week now, so I'm hoping it means things can only get better from here.  There seem to be more people taking taking verap. with much success.  Hope some of this helps you.
PFDANs to you.

Pfunk Cool
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 5:10pm »

luckily for me, sex is not a trigger.  
I have not tried Depakote so cannot tell you much about it.  

I hope it works for you however!

Dragn
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 8:00pm »

What's sex?

I'm OLD you know..... Smiley

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss