Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 2:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: prednisone  (Read 593 times)
alan
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

prednisone
« on: Mar 5th, 2008, 12:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi out there,
i used this site years ago when i was cronic and it saved me. now episodic but have a problem. i'm travelling in ecuador and entered into cluster, my regular 2 weeks of 60mg pred has ended, i started tapering and got hit. i'm down to 3 needles and scared (immitrex needles don't exist here). my question is, can I swing back to full dose prednisone (60mg) for another week (and hope that keeps them at bay). ive had mixed opinions on how long one can take 60mg pred from different docs but have more confidence in folks on this site. thank-you for any help/suggestions
IP Logged
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

Re: prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 12:53am »

Sorry you are having a tough time.
I have no experience with prednisone.
You may want to look at the imitrex tips to spread out the imitrex you have left.
look here http://www.clusterheadaches.com/imitrex.html
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2008, 12:54am by DragonSlayer » IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 1:12am »

Hi Alan  

I am not a doctor and have no right giving RX advice so accept it as such.

If it were me in a foreighn country for a short while and was hit hard and knew the pred would work ...... well then I would resume the dosing. Whatever it takes.

I know a few people on the prednisone for very long times at higher doses than that for other conditions. Thats not saying they wont suffer damages.  
I myself have taken a few tapers back to back in increasing start doses to 180 mg long ago. Was in a bit of a foul mood though.
 be carefull and enjoy the journey. Watch out for the conflicts at the borders.

Woul'nt hurt to take along something with you showing your on it. like a medic alert and rx effects sheet.
IP Logged

MJ
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 5:32am »

Chances are in your favor that you can use for one-week without significant problems--but if it's available easily, might try this one.
--------
Headache 2001 Sep;41(Cool:813-6  

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 6:45pm »

I remember during a few past cycles, my Neuro put me on pred for a time and I tapered off.  When I went back to see him, I told him the headaches were as bad as ever and he put me back on the pred at a stronger dose this time.  So, the answer seems to be that it appears to be alright ro resume the pred.  I, also am not a doctor, so do what you think i will help.  If it were me, I would go back on it in a heartbeat.  Good luck
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 9:33pm »

Prednisone sucks, I have had to "redo" tapers. Never without some other additional drug, like lithium for example. Not with out the doc though.
all the best with that
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
alan
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 5th, 2008, 9:49pm »

You guys are great - I'm on the Galapagos with my family on a trip weve planned and  saved for for 5 years, I get hit with cluster, run out of Imitrex (and can't get any here) scared to go to sleep, scared to leave hotel. this morning I toughed one out with an Imitrex pill......but still can get great advice and support from you guys. Thanks so much for your thoughts on pred. I went back up to 60mg this morning and hope that it minimizes these things. thank-you all
IP Logged
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 6:04am »

Alan, first off, nice to meet you. Sorry you are getting hit. be careful with the Prednisone taper. I have used it a couple of times but only with my Neuro's approval. He also put me on Lithium which did not work all that well for me. He monitered my blood work on a weekly base.

I have not had any experience with Imitrex but others here have and seems to work for them. What about o2? Will your Doc script that for you to try? It is my main defense now aborting a hit. 100% o2 at 15 lpm with a non-rebreather mask. Get on it at the very first sign of an on coming hit.

Hope you find something that works for you and keep the fight against the beast. Sorry you are getting nailed on vacation after so much saving and planning, but the beast does not care about that.

Barry  

IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

chewy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 6th, 2008, 11:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I hjave done back to back prednisone tapers and I'm still here.

Probably not reccomended under normal circumstances but you are not under normal circumstances.

Any port in a storm.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss