Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 5th, 2024, 9:00pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « how to know when cycle going to end............... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   how to know when cycle going to end...............
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: how to know when cycle going to end...............  (Read 1166 times)
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

how to know when cycle going to end...............
« on: Mar 11th, 2008, 8:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

is there like some sign u get???????????  haha.....first one, 42 days........brain scan 2day.................pred taper, 6th day, was holding them off but had 4 yesterday, 3 from 3am to 7am............................is this a cruel joke or what????????????????????????????????????????????????????tired of doing the dance........................ wtf.............
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

Re: how to know when cycle going to end...........
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 9:11am »

No, no particular sign.  It's pretty individual--some of us ramp up quickly, stay in high cycle for a period of time, and then taper off slowly.  The attacks get farther and farther apart, milder and milder, and then fade away altogether.

Others report that they will get one or more really savage attacks, after which the cycle ends abruptly.  

The thing to remember, as an episodic, is that however it ends, it WILL end.  Until that happens, the best--the only way to get through is to deal with them one day at a time, and one hit at a time.  

Enjoy your painfree time.  Get hit, live anyway.  

All the best,

George

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
KaiB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 9:26am »

Deb, I've gone drug free this time.  Still waiting for the beast to leave, but:  

After a bad mid-cycle ten days, I have had the luck of a quiet ramp down to very mild hits maybe twice a day (eve when I lie down and about 4 AM)...the past two days just shadows at the same time.  Hopefully this will be an easy out.

Last time was nasty out, but immediate.  I agree, no way of telling.  Three more days will be exactly two months.

p.s. put me in the say no to drugs camp.
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 10:00am »

I'm one that ramps up slowly and then ramps back down again, they get further and further apart and milder then one day i realize I haven't been hit in a week or two.

George is right, it'll end when it's good and ready, dwelling on it just drains you. Enjoy your pain free time and know it will end!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 10:36am »

mine apparantly have no rhyme or reason..................trying to enjoy PF time..................& trying to ignore those around me that just do not understand.......................gonna just stick to venting on here i think!!!!  thanx all!!!
deb
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 11:19am »

Usually when mine are so bad that I need a shot of DHE on a daily basis just to survive, means I've got about a week to a week and a half left.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 11:23am »

on Mar 11th, 2008, 9:26am, Kaib wrote:
Deb, I've gone drug free this time.  

p.s. put me in the say no to drugs camp.

Sometimes that can really help, it takes guts and a good supporter or none at all to pull it off.  But there can certainly be benefits to going the drug/triptan free route.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 12:40pm »

Please see your doc and give RELPAX a try!  Good luck and you are being prayed for right now.   Judi
IP Logged
DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 2:43pm »

Mine usually ramp up rather quickly.  Shadow to let you know the beast is coming for about a week then BAM-HELLO I'm back - around 4-6 weeks of pretty tough k8+ hits 3-6 times a day.  
Each cycle seems to pick it's own schedule and after the first week of heavy hits I am able to settle into it's rythm (figure out my battle plan).  After the heavy hits settle down it will slowly ramp down replacing heavy hits with shadows that reduce in intensity over time.  
This cycle the last Imitrex I used was Jan 30 and I'm still having random K2-4 shadows with a regular visit about 1-3am.  Energy drink and/or coffee will handle these very well.  
I never leave home (24/7-365) without my "survival kit", a small film can of instant coffee and 2-50mg Imitrex tablets.  During cycle I also keep an energy drink handy.
I guess I know it's over when I look back over a week or two and realize I haven't had a shadow for awhile.
If I obsess over the CH it seems it never goes away fast enough or I seem to get hit harder because of the anxiety.
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
KaiB
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 4:38pm »

Yep...I've babbled here for the past two weeks about a beer test.

Ain't happening yet, but maybe soon enough.
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 5:35pm »

The finale seems to be different for different people, some fizzle out, some goes with a bang ( a really bad hit ) ...  

Cycle lengths seem to vary too, anything from a couple of weeks to nearly the whole year. If you go 365 days without at least 30 days break then you are chronic. Chronics tend to have "cycles" too, as in some milder periods then some harder periods.

In summary, its virtually impossible to guess the beast.

Try to not focus on the last hit or the next hit. The last hit is gone and the next hit isnt here right now. If right now there is no hit then life is grand, enjoy it.

We have learnt that the right attitude will help more than any meds in the world.  

Painfree wishes to you and lots of strong vibes.

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 9:46pm »

Kick some demon A$$. Never let him get you down.
thebb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 1:33am »

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggggg all i wanna do is get some damn uninterrupted sleep!!!!!!!!!! bigtiny  they best have those scan results tomorrow ...........................GO AWAY.....................
IP Logged
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 7:11am »

Hi Deb. Hang in there. My cycles if my history repeats itself last for about two years then I get a year away from them. This time the hits were much worse with them nailing me at different times of the day. I normally get hit anytime after 5:00pm into the night, but I have got them during the daytime which is weird for me.  

I was wrong twice during this cycle thinking it was over. I would taper off my Verapamil and get nailed. my hits ramped up more than the norm and then they backed off. I started to do A VERY SLOW TAPER this time and am totally med free and PF so far, it has been a few months. This cycle was a little shorter that others lasting about 15 months.

I don't know if this was any help but I still keep my best friend the big green bottle of o2 full and ready plus a full script of Verapamil on standby. When the beast comes knocking on my door I am armed and ready this time to do battle with him.

PF wishes to you.

Barry
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 1:00pm »

wat is up with the constant eye/face pain..................3 biggies last night, finally asleep by 4:30..................still waitin for ct results, pred apparantly not working...........gna loose my mind Cry
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 1:12pm »

They suck Cry......no getting past that, but you WILL  beat it, hang in there, everyone is pulling for you. hug

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 7:49am »

HELLO WORLD!! actually slept 5 hrs with no visits from the beast!! my best girlfriend came over for a visit, and brought me an Easter basket, with loads of goodies and a stuffed rabbit! Named that rabbit F----, to rhyme with Clusta, and took him to bed with me!!! LMAO.....................yes a 50 yr old woman takin a stuffed animal to bed!!!!  laugh maybe he wont be back, tho still calling 4 a neuro appt this morning!!! hope u all have a PF day!
deb
IP Logged
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 7:54am »

a question? my 3rd nite of takin melatonin, 10mg....................could that have possibly kept the beast @ bay? not really sure about what melatonin may be able to do????
deb
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 8:43am »

on Mar 14th, 2008, 7:54am, debOUCH wrote:
a question? my 3rd nite of takin melatonin, 10mg....................could that have possibly kept the beast @ bay? not really sure about what melatonin may be able to do????
deb

Yes, that is more than likely what enabled you to sleep.
IP Logged

George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 9:39am »

on Mar 14th, 2008, 7:54am, debOUCH wrote:
deb

Could very well be.  When the stuff works, that's what it does.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #20 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 12:05pm »

Deb,

I wish I knew... During my ch years, there has not been any consistent sign at the end of the cycle. Simply one day the beast just didn't show up, then another PF day and then another... Smiley  

The beast likes to change things anyway; just when I thought that I'll get hit in the fall (about October to December), the beast went into remission and returned in April, skipped the fall cycle, came back in February and stayed for a long time. Now I'm just waiting what it'll think of next.

I wish lots of PF days and nights your way! Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 7:11am »

well guess the beast figured i had some sleep thursday  night, and thus, made me do the dance again 2x last night!!! guess that melatonin works when it wants to also!!!! couldnt even dance outside cause it was pouring! maybe i should have, it may have drowned the beast!!!
IP Logged
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #22 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 4:39pm »

Deb,

How much melatonin are you taking. I take 15-20mg when I'm getting hammered real good (like right now).  

Hang in there - it could be worse. I've been chronic since 97, so count your blessings - you've got something to look forward to.  

And there's nothing wrong with taking a bunny rabbit to bed. I have Mickey Mouse stuffed stuff all over my bed and I'm a LOT older than you...  Cheesy

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

superhawk2300
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 9:04am »

Sorry you are sufferening. I have experienced both the slow end to  a cycle and the sudden "BANG and it is done" end to a cycle as well.  

seems to me the more meds I am on the longer but easier the cycle is, adn vise-versa. Kind of a shitty trade off but what can one do? right now I am realatively painfree - (no hits for mroe than a week now - WOOOT!) but I've had days whre the shadows were never ending and pretty intense for shadows.

I forgot my verapamil when I went to my grannys funeral last week and after missing a day I can tell I am not out of my cycle yet, but otherwise I also have no idea when I will be out of the woods.

I am thinking PF thoughts for you............It will end and soon it wil only be a memory of things that might have been. Smiley
IP Logged
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 4:56pm »

so like, there is really n way to know i guess!!! i am day 3 no visit from the beast........the last night, Friday was horrendous!! so maybe that was the BIG BANG!!!......let's hope he damn tired!!!!!! LMAO
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss