Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 12:50am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « MY MIRACLE! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   MY MIRACLE!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MY MIRACLE!  (Read 795 times)
GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

MY MIRACLE!
« on: Mar 11th, 2008, 12:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cheesy
Hello and hopefully good news for many! I saw neurologist who suffers from migraines and he was wonderful.  He has me on 40 mg RELPAX before bed and as long as I take it, BLISSFUL PAINFREE SLEEP!
Stopped it for a night to see if cycle had ended but the beast attacked while I slept and when I woke I ran downstairs and grabbed a RELPAX and within 15 minutes I was better.  It is a triptan drug.  Last night I cut the pill in half (remember I am the natural cure girl) and it still worked!  This neuro is a blessing and gave me percoset for pain if the beast beat too hard.  We all know how bad that stuff is for you... but it is nice to have as a last resort.  However, shadows still med to awful during the morning, afternoon and evening and being that I dont want to put a lot of manmade chemicals into my body, I am relying on Red(YUCK)Bull and coffees. Just being able to go to sleep without terror is, well you know.
 I hope that the RELPAX works for everyone out there as well as it works for me!  God Bless!
Told you I'd beat em!  Judi    Cool
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

Re: MY MIRACLE!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 12:55pm »

I'm glad you've found some relief Judy!  Sleep is great isn't it?  Cool

Relpax (Eletriptan) has the lowest recurrence rate of all the triptans and a half life of 4-5 hours in your system.  That should work well to get you through the witching hour.

Here is an abstract from a study which used Eletriptan on Cluster Headache

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/hed/2004/00000044/00000004/art 00010
Quote:
Eletriptan for the Short-term Prophylaxis of Cluster Headache
Authors: Zebenholzer K.; Wöber C.; Vigl M.; Wessely P.

Source: Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain, Volume 44, Number 4, April 2004 , pp. 361-364(4)

Publisher: Blackwell Publishing

Abstract:

Background.—A beneficial prophylactic effect from eletriptan 40 mg given to a single patient with cluster headache was observed.

Objective.—To further evaluate the efficacy of eletriptan in the short-term prophylaxis of cluster headache.

Methods.—We treated 18 patients; mean age, 40.5 years (standard deviation [SD], 9.9). The number of cluster headache attacks was recorded during a baseline period of 6 days, and during 6 days of treatment with eletriptan 40 mg twice daily. The primary outcome measure was the reduction in the number of attacks during the treatment period.

Results.—In the 16 patients who completed the study (2 patients were lost to follow-up), the mean total number of attacks decreased from 10.9 (SD, 5.6) during baseline to 6.3 (SD, 3.7) during treatment with eletriptan (P= .01) The reduction in the number of attacks exceeded 50% in 6 patients.  

Conclusion.—This small open-label study suggests that eletriptan 40 mg twice daily may be useful for the short-term prophylaxis of cluster headache.

Notice the "Short Term" in the title.  There have not been any studies I've found that look at daily use of Triptans over a long period of time.  

Good luck...

-Dennis-
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008, 1:10pm by DennisM1045 » IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 1:08pm »

on Mar 11th, 2008, 12:55pm, DennisM1045 wrote:
Notice the "Short Term" in the title.  There have not been any studies I've found that look at daily use of Triptans over a long period of time.  

I take this back.  The Robbins Headache Clinic did a six month study on 59 patients.  Here is a link:

http://headachedrugs.com/archives/long_term_triptan_abstract.html

Here is another Migraine study

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/bsc/hed/2004/00000044/00000002/art 00012
Quote:
Frequent Triptan Use: Observations on Safety Issues

Abstract:

Objective.—To examine the safety of frequent triptan use over extended periods. For a small group of patients with refractory migraine plus chronic daily headache, triptans are effective.

Methods.—This retrospective study primarily evaluated the cardiac safety of daily triptan use in 118 patients and, in addition, hematologic tests were assessed. Each patient had utilized a triptan for a minimum of 4 days per week for at least 6 months. Patients with rebound headache had been withdrawn from the triptans. Most patients (97 of 11Cool averaged 1 tablet daily; most would occasionally go for several days without a triptan. Forty patients had taken a triptan for 6 months to 2 years, 37 patients from 2 to 4 years, and 41 for 4 or more years.

Results.—Routine hematologic tests were performed periodically on all patients, and no abnormalities were attributable to triptans. Almost all patients had an electrocardiogram, and no abnormal electrocardiograms were felt to be related to triptans. Cardiac echocardiography was performed in 57 patients. The 10 abnormal echocardiograms were not due to triptans. All 20 cardiac stress tests revealed normal findings. Adverse events were minimal; 9 patients described fatigue due to triptans, and 5 had mild chest tightness.

Conclusion.—This long-term study of 118 patients indicates that frequent triptan use may be relatively safe.

-Dennis-
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008, 1:09pm by DennisM1045 » IP Logged

GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 1:22pm »

Hi Dennis!  Man you are a Godsend... I was wondering if this RELPAX was going to have any side effects. I can not thank you enough for all the info you shared with me.  Have you tried it?  Bad shadows, going to RedBull.  PF wishes,
Judi
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 3:19pm »

No problem Judi (Sorry for spelling your name incorrectly!)  This is what we're all here for.

I have a perscription for Naratriptan on hand just in case I need a break.  I can only get 9 pills out of my Insurance Co.  Even with Insurance its $2 a pill.  I have better things to spend my money on (10 kids with a June wedding coming up). So I prefer to rely on O2 and an occasional energy drink while I ramp up on Verapamil.  

Once I've found my theraputic level I hope to be only managing breakthroughs.  Though if things get rough I have it as a fall back.

Good luck...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss