Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 2:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Is my tension headaches related to my CH's? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   Is my tension headaches related to my CH's?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is my tension headaches related to my CH's?  (Read 407 times)
daveham
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Is my tension headaches related to my CH's?
« on: Mar 11th, 2008, 9:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My problems started at 13.  Restless legs, back and neck tension, headaches and periods of severe headaches.

The severe headaches were not diagnosed until I was 30.  They are cluster headaches.  1-2 daily for 2-4 months every second year.  I respond really well to Zolmitripan so the diagnosis was a breakthrough.  Unfortunately I had no success with preventatives.

But this leaves quite a period between the headaches where I still have problems.  Muscular problems in the upper and lower back, stiff neck and tension headaches (tender spots on front side of neck).  After 20 years of therapy (chiro, massage, chinese medicine, etc) I just can't get to the bottom of it.  The behavior is almost random and doesn't make sense to an honest therapist.  That is, I don't have a musculoskelatal problem per se.

Over time I have discovered three things.  When I have CHs and take Zomig, I have no back or neck problems.  Secondly my neck and back tension crescendos in the months prior to the CHs.  Finally my muscle tension occurs mostly at about 5am (REM sleep) which is the same time my classic CH occurs!

This led to an experiment and the discovery that 1/4 of a zomig tablet can fix my back often when a good chiropractor cant unlock it.  It also fixes fatigue that I suffer from when my neck is stiff and sore.  The relief can last for weeks.  I have medical advice that Zomig should NOT be used this way - only for the real headache.

My neuro claims that there is no chance that CH's are related to other rheumatological problems.  But I am curious to know more.  Either zolmitripan has a great side affect for my 'other' problem or it is all one in the same problem - just different degrees of symptom.

Does anyone know more?  Are muscle problems and fatigue part of CH's?
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: Is my tension headaches related to my CH's?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 9:32am »

Kudzu (which many people use to prevent clusters) has traditionally been used for neck problems. Based on that, and what you've described, it sounds like your neck/back/shoulder problems are could be linked to serotonin and clusters.

I wouldn't rule out some tension effects generated by the reaction to pain in clusters, but it sounds like what you are describing could be neurological too.  

IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
GonnabeatemJudi
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 12:44pm »

I have had tension to beat all for the past two years, but no headaches during that, until a month or so ago.  So, I guess not related.
At least not for me.
IP Logged
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 5:16pm »

I'd say they are related to CH.  THis is my first cylce where I am experiencing a similar situation to yours.  Have lots of tension in my neck, upper back, and shoulders.  When I do neck rolls, you can hear all kinds of cracking, sounds like my head is full of rice crispies.  A nice hot shower seems to help along with some tylenol
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11th, 2008, 5:25pm »

Have you had your magnesium and calcium levels checked ? CH can be related to lower level of those 2. In fact, some people here take magnesium and calcium supplement for CH with very good effect.

My husband had a lot of muscle cramps during cycle, especially in the calves, upper back, shoulders and neck. He took magnesium and calcium supplement as well as potassium, taurine and omega 3 fish oil, all with intention to treat CH but the cramps disappeared when he was on them.

Strong vibes and painfree wishes to you.

Edited cos its too early in the morning for spelling  Tongue
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2008, 5:27pm by Annette » IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss