Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « How do you tell when cycles are ending? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Cluster Headache Specific
(Moderator: DJ)
   How do you tell when cycles are ending?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How do you tell when cycles are ending?  (Read 3494 times)
Argonaut
New Board Newbie
Australia 

The guitar fiend.

How do you tell when cycles are ending?
« on: May 7th, 2008, 11:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Apologies if this sounds like a silly question, but how do you know when your headache cycle is ending or starting?

I can't work out if I'm going towards the end of a cycle or if I'm starting another. It wasn't a huge deal when I was unmedicated but now that I am, I think I have to adjust the amount of meds I take accordingly. Admittedly, I've been very bad with keeping records of my headaches in the past, which does not help!

Here's a brief run-down of my latest 'cycle':

It started around the end of March, with persistent KIP 3-4 shadows through the majority of my waking day, then escalating to about at least 1 KIP 8-9 headache a day. The most intense part lasted for most of April.

From around the 24th April, I've gone down to having  to the persistent KIP 3-4 shadows, but the past two nights, I've been hit with 7s and the shadows are more persistent.  

Does it sound like the end of a cycle, or the beginning of another? Anyone else had cycles like these?

IP Logged

Hic sunt dracones.

"A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil."
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: How do you tell when cycles are ending?
« Reply #1 on: May 8th, 2008, 12:17am »

I think a lot of episodics will tell  you their cycles go out with a bang.  Meaning they get worse before they stop.

Until the next time. months...even years down the road.

Being chronic I am just telling you what other episodics have said  

I can only hope that this is exactly what is happening to you  and pray that you will please stick around here after your cycle ends.

Linda  
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 8th, 2008, 2:18am »

...and some episodics will tell you they go out with a whimper.   Wink

Mine invariably get weaker and weaker and farther and farther apart until they disappear altogether.

So--no way to tell for sure that the cycle is ending.  But this is how to get through them:  One day at a time, one hit at a time.  Sooner or later it ends.  Get hit--live anyway.     Wink

All the best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Paige_H.
New Board Newbie
USA 

What the hell?

« Reply #3 on: May 8th, 2008, 8:46am »

I haven't posted here in years.  But being episodic, my concern was always when does it end.  I've noticed that I start out with one HA every other night for a week, then for at least the next 4 weeks I'm hammered with 2-4 every night or I get one KIP 8-9 instead every night.  Then all of the sudden I won't have any for a night or two, get a few small ones and then "poof".  Of course being episodic, my greatest fear is turning chronic.  Most of my cycles last about 6 weeks.  I had better be at the end of this one.
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 8th, 2008, 9:33am »

[quote author=George_J link=board=chspecific;num=1210218760;start=0#2 date=05/08/08 at 02:18:50  Sooner or later it ends.  Get hit--live anyway.     Wink
All the best,

George [/quote]

Exactakally

When it happens it will, no point in loosing sleep over it & good to see you still around.

Cheers my friend
Barry
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2008, 9:34am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Jean
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: May 8th, 2008, 9:36am »

Mine slow down at the end too.  I am also episodic.

Hang in there.  

Jeannie
IP Logged
mezza
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: May 8th, 2008, 10:03pm »

I do believe that everyone is different in terms of cycle duration and characteristics.  I have read so many posts where the end of the cycle is characterized by a terrible night or two of ha's high on the kip scale.  I've been sorta waiting for that myself.

However, my cycle is over now and i haven't had a shadow or ha in two weeks.  Really since starting the verapamil all i've had are a shadow here and there and maybe two kip 4-5's-  

So i guess mine go out with a whimper!  This cycle lasted 8 weeks .  Last two cycles lasted 1-2 weeks but were killed with preds only  ( got lucky I guess)

So what the others said just take it day by day and enjoy every pain free moment you get!!   Smiley

kelly
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #7 on: May 9th, 2008, 12:34am »

You'll know they're ending when we start doing the happy dance for you.

Hey, I hear music!!
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Argonaut
New Board Newbie
Australia 

The guitar fiend.

« Reply #8 on: May 12th, 2008, 6:08am »

Thanks guys, the headaches seemed to have slowed down - so I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm not sure if I'm chronic or episodic because the longest break I've had is about a month. The definition between chronic and episodic confuses me but I guess having those breaks still makes me episodic?
IP Logged

Hic sunt dracones.

"A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss