Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 3:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Need some computer/HDTV help please »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   Need some computer/HDTV help please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Need some computer/HDTV help please  (Read 730 times)
nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Friends don't let friends post drunk on mbs......

Email

Need some computer/HDTV help please
« on: Dec 31st, 2007, 1:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

HI, everyone...hope all is well.  My grandson Tristan just moved back to his parents on Christmas so Gamma is sad.   He is now 14 hours away after living with me for 2 years...Now, i am trying to occupy myself with work and play..I am on a mission to hook up a laptop to my tv....Anyway, I got a 32 HDTV Polaroid and a 42  inch one after Thanksgiving.  I now want to get a laptop...looking at a Dell XPS 1330 to connect it to my 32 inch in the bedroom.  Can anyone give me any suggestions or any better ideas?  This is new to me and I dont trust the Dell salespeople or any salespeople over the phone.  Any suggestions on wheither this would work so I could use my TV as my puter monitor too would be helpful.  My son and his family watch movies off the internet by connecting their laptop to their regular tv.  Would save money from renting them all the time.  So this is my plan hopefully. LOve you all, smiles, nancyc
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Need some computer/HDTV help please
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 1:50pm »

I can't help you, sis...but HI!!!!
Big hugs for your missing Tristan... but look at it this way...if you know he's safe, you can finally relax a little. It's Nancy's turn again!  Cheesy

hugs, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 1:55pm »

cant give you any advice my friend but what i can do is tell you that i am both ALLERGIC to and just HATE Dell.
Their customer support/services sucs BIG TIME

Svenn
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2007, 1:55pm by The  mad viking » IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 2:26pm »

I don't mean to sound insensitive, but if you have a brand new laptop screen right in front of your face, why would you want to see it on a 32" TV all the way across the room?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 2:44pm »

on Dec 31st, 2007, 2:26pm, brewcrew wrote:
I don't mean to sound insensitive, but

Yes you do you mean bastard...LMAO Grin J/K

Hi Nanc, good to see you!  wave
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 2:51pm »

on Dec 31st, 2007, 2:44pm, Jonny wrote:
Yes you do you mean bastard...LMAO Grin J/K

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 3:58pm »

Hey you---- bout time for a long heart to heart isn't it.... Been too long... miss you a bunch. What hours you workin' now.... Pm me your schedule...

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 4:59pm »

the reason i want to hook the computer to the tv screen is because my son does that and gets movies off the internet free...while i have to pay $30 a month to blockbuster to rent them.  this is the reason i want to be able to hook it up to my tv screen.  My eyes are definetly not as good as they used to be....and it is easier for me to watch a movie on a 32 inch screen than on a laptop screen.  The tv screen is in a cabinet right infront of my bed.  I have not bought the laptop yet...just trying to get some options, you mean bastard LOL....love ya all, smiles, nancyc
IP Logged
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 5:18pm »

Sure, just use a S-Video cable from your laptop to the TV's S-Video connection. If you want to use the TV's speakers instead of your laptop speakers. Just get a splitter cable that goes from your headset connection on the laptop to the two audio connections on the back of your TV. You can pick up all the cables from Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, K-Mart etc.
   The instructions for your TV's hook up is in the manual. Should take you less than 30 seconds to get it going.
   If the laptop has a HDMI connection, all you will need is a HDMI cable from your laptop to the TV's HDMI connection. That will take care of Video and sound with just one cable.
   Hope that answers some of your questions.
 smokin
IP Logged

nancyc
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 5:35pm »

yes, Kirk, that is what i am looking for...thanks so much. A few other questions though.  Should i go with the laptop since it has HDMI or with the desktop?  And once I hook the computer up to the HD tv, do i have to set the resolution or will the HDMI cable do that? This is alot of me to figure out LOL...thanks again, nancyc
IP Logged
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 5:02pm »

It is all pretty much plug n play Nancy. I use one of our laptops to watch movies with as a rule. Because they are handy. I just leave the cable(s) hooked to the TV, and whenever I want to watch a movie, I just plug the S-Video cable and the speaker cable into my laptop. To shift the pic over from the laptop to the TV, I just use the Fn + F4 keys on my laptop to move my laptop monitor screen onto the TV.
   With an HDMI cable it is even easier. Just plug it into your HDMI port , and use the Fn + F4 keys.
   Don't worry about the screen resolution, that will all be taken care of automatically.
   I would recommend that you buy Monster brand cables. They are a lot more expensive than others. But their quality is hard to beat.
    smokin
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #11 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 5:40pm »

on Jan 1st, 2008, 5:02pm, Kirk wrote:
  I would recommend that you buy Monster brand cables. They are a lot more expensive than others. But their quality is hard to beat.

And they're guaranteed for life. Monster is the only brand of guitar cable I own. Once I bought one, I've never had to buy another.
IP Logged

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 5:51pm »

on Jan 1st, 2008, 5:40pm, brewcrew wrote:

And they're guaranteed for life.

I dont know about that, but if I ever have trouble with my monster cable.....Ill just call the doc for some of those little blue pills.....LMAO Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss