Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 6:45am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH medical articles »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Jan-Mar 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH medical articles
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH medical articles  (Read 467 times)
thsa/simon
New Board Newbie

Email

CH medical articles
« on: Mar 29th, 2003, 10:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey all,

Am just curious, several weeks ago I suggested using peer-review articles to take to your doctors that discuss CHs in better detail than the medical textbooks. Do you all want references or do you think that this will not help?
I have a very good article from a Neuroscience magazine from a doctor that has clusters just like I do. He states, among other things, that clusters 'are the most painful headache syndrome know to humans' and that imetrex may be needed several times a day over several weeks to months.  
Such information might be useful to you in dealing with docs. If you all wish, I will try to post all that I can find that I think are helpful.

let me know
simon
IP Logged
Frank

Email

Re: CH medical articles
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2003, 10:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Those articles are helpful, many times are necessary... and may be mandatory in dealing with doctors and insurance companies.
Post whatever you've got... at least abstracts. They should include source info (journal name, volume, issue, page#s).
You might want to ask DJ about posting full text articles due to concerns about copyright laws.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Few more leads to medical info.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 7:48am »

We all fuss about the lack of research on CH compared to migraine, and be right in doing so. The reality, however, is that the money goes where the need is and clusterheads are (may we be grateful?) in a distinct minority. I'm listing this information because it represents an extraordinary compilation and review on research on the treatment of migraine--ABORTIVE & PREVENTATIVE MEDICATIONS, AND NONMEDICAL TREATMENTS. For those who are seriously into medical information, this material may lead to a more rational selection of treatments. Go to: www.aan.com (Americn Academy of Neurology) or www.neurology.org; look for button on "guidelines". Be prepared: the section on abortive MEDS. alone is 58-pages!  

"Cluster headache", Au. Ninan T. Mathew, MD, NEUROLOGY, 42 (Suppl 2), March 1992. I believe the best single article to give to your doc around questions of diagnosis and treatment.

"Management of cluster headache:an American view", Au: Lee Kudrow, MD, HEADACHE QUARTERLY, 1:1 (57-63), 1990. Somewhat dated but most of the information still relevant.

"Treatment of cluster headache in Europe", Au. Karl Ekbom, MD; HEADACHE QUARTERLY, 1:1 (65-70), 1990. Ekbom is one of the big names in European research.

"Prophylactic therapy of cluster headache", Au: Seymour Solomon, MD, CLINICAL NEUROPHARMACOLOGY, V.14, #2, 116-130, 1991.  

Re. special needs of women. Both of these in HEADACHE QUARTERLY, Vol X, #2, 1991: "Women and headaches:a comprehensive approach", p. 31-36.  "Special considerations in the management of headache in women", p. 37-43. The last one focuses on role of hormones in headache and how medications must be altered.

Rebound headaches. "Rebound Headaches--A Review", Au. John S. Warner, M.D., in HEADACHE QUARTERLY, 10:3(1999). (There is some confusion on the board about the meaning of "rebound". There appears to be an emerging consensus in the medical literature to define "rebound" as a headache which is caused by the overuse of any medication used to abort a headache or relieve pain. "Recurrence" [of a headache] is being used to refer to the redevelopment of an attack when its "normal" duration is longer than the useful life of the medication which has been taken. That is, the medication effectiveness is reducing before the headache has come to an end; the pain redevelops.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------

BOOKS

Doing a search using "headache" on Amazon.com will get you 200+ titles! Seymour Diamond, MD, has a new title aimed at the patient; L. Robbins, MD has a new edition for physicians (see www.headachedrugs.com) and a consumer oriented edition containing much of the same material. But this long list is worth exploring--with care and selectivity.

There are many others available but often high priced. I've listed a few at reasonable price.

HEADACHE IN CHILDREN AND ADOLESCENTS.  Eds: Paul Winner & David Rothner. Hamilton, Ontario: BC Decker, Inc., 2001, $69.95.  A review of this book was very favorable, identifying the editors as recognized experts in working with children and adolescents. (I have not seen the book.)

HANDBOOK OF HEADACHE, Ninan T. Mathew, M.D. & Randolph W. Evans. Suggest that you do NOT buy this one. As much as I appreciate Mathew's writings on CH this volume is only for physicians or people deeply steeped in medical knowledge.

TAKING CONTROL OF YOUR HEADACHE, revised ed, Paul Duckro, et al, The Guilford Press. Aimed at patients and includes a strong focus on the value of stress/cognitive control in addition to medical treatment.

HANDBOOK OF HEADACHE MANAGEMENT, 2nd ed., Au. Joel Saper, MD, 1999, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. A highly condensed volume for doctors but good for "advanced" clusterheads who have a grasp of medical terminology and medications. Covers all types of headache with the section on cluster being brief. Sections on general considerations in treatment and on medications are important.

MANAGEMENT OF HEADACHE AND HEADACHE MEDICATIONS, 2nd ed. Lawrence D. Robbins, M.D.; pub. by Springer. $49 at Amazon.Com. This volume is better organized and easier to read for nonprofessionals compared to Saper's book. It covers all types of headache and is primarily focused on medications. While the two chapters on CH total 42-pages, the actual relevant material is longer because of multiple references to material in chapters on migraine, reflecting the overlap in drugs used to treat. I'd suggest reading the chapters on migraine for three reasons: he makes references to CH & medications which are not in the index; there are "clinical pearls" about how to approach the treatment of headache; and, you gain better perspective on the nature of headache, in general, and the complexities of treatment (which need to be considered when we create expectations about what is possible). Finally, women will appreciate & benefit from his running information on hormones/menstrual cycles as they affect headache. Chapter on headache following head trauma, also. Obviously, I'm impressed with Robbins' work (even if the book needs the touch of a good editor!) (Somewhat longer review/content statement at 3/22/00, "Good book...."Wink

HEADACHE HELP, Revised edition, 2000; Lawrence Robbins, M.D., Houghton Mifflin, $15. Written for a nonprofessional audience, it contains almost all the material in the preceding volume but it's much easier reading. Highly recommended.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 8:16am »

You can also try the OUCH Research Library, http://www.clusterheadaches.org/library/index.htm

I've had to remove a few articles at the request of the author but it's still a pretty good collection.  I have 100's more that I need to index and add to the collection.  I may try to paraphrase them to avaoid the copywrite hassle.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
catlind
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Taz taught me the cluster dance

kadiya68   kadiya68
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 8:28am »

Excellent compilation BobJ!!!

Thank you very much for your work!

Cat
IP Logged

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough
Mark C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Onward through the fog.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 8:47am »

Thank's Bobs !

IP Logged

Click The Flag
fubar
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 9:43am »

Very nice.

Any chance we could make this a sticky thread... keep it up top?  DJ?

-Fu
IP Logged

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Few more leads to medical info.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2003, 9:46am »

on Mar 31st, 2003, 7:48am, Bob_Johnson wrote:

"Cluster headache", Au. Ninan T. Mathew, MD, NEUROLOGY, 42 (Suppl 2), March 1992. I believe the best single article to give to your doc around questions of diagnosis and treatment.

I knew my doctor was informed about ch's, but I didn't realize he had written this article.

Thanks Bob,

Tracey
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss