Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « travelling: medication tips? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   travelling: medication tips?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: travelling: medication tips?  (Read 498 times)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

travelling: medication tips?
« on: Apr 7th, 2006, 3:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

As some of you recall, I'm going to Prague for few days soon (we leave on 13th). Now, the only med I've been using this time around is ice cold Red Bull. But I can't pack those with me...

So, what  should I take with me? I do have some imitrex injections, but since I haven't tried them yet, I don't know if it's a good idea to pack any with me - I don't know what side effects I'll get.

Luckily we're staying at a hotel, so I can stock up RB once we're there.  Wink

Best wishes & PFdays,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: travelling: medication tips?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 3:43am »

Take the Red Bull with you as carry-on luggage.  Chug-a-lug one while using another as an ice pack and ask cabin crew to keep the rest chilled.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 4:09am »

This is short notice for this trip--but, for the future, get a sample from your doc. IF this works for you, it's the answer. Pill, works in 20-minutes.

1: Headache 2001 Sep;41(Cool:813-6  

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 7:46am »

Ditto to what Brian said.

Have a great time in Prague! I have a good friend who lives there and he says it's beautiful!
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 9:19am »

Never a good time or a bad time to try a potentially helpful abortive!!!
Pack the trex!
AS Bob suggested, zyprexa is quite affective. I have used this with great success.
Buy disposable icepacks. The kinds that you squeeze and they instantly freeze.

Bring good spirits and have fun!!!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 3:48pm »

I'm going to Florida again late next week. Last time I flew there a new CH episode started 3 days after I got there.  This time I'm doing a shroom maintenance dose the day before I leave and I'm packing a couple hundred ololiuqui for the trip just in case. I'm not the least bit worried.

BB  Wink
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 5:23pm »

Also, and I don't know if you have this  where you live, but VIVARIN is an OTC that works just as good as RB.  It has the equivalent of 2 cups of strong coffee or in other words...lots of caffeine.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #7 on: Apr 8th, 2006, 5:49am »

Thanks for the advices! Smiley

I'm going to check if my local pharmacy has disposable icebacks.

I'm going to pack some RB, pack of maxalt and pack of imitrex. Can't be too careful... Wink

Linda, I checked: I can't get Vivarin back here. We do have caffeine tablets, which have 100mg caffeine/tablet.

Best wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 8th, 2006, 10:58am »

Quote:

Linda, I checked: I can't get Vivarin back here. We do have caffeine tablets, which have 100mg caffeine/tablet.  

Same thing Sanna, and a lot easier to carry with you in a carry-on than RB.   Wink

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 8th, 2006, 3:24pm »

Sanna - have a great trip.  Thanks for the tip about the caffeine tablets.  I'm going to hightail it out to my local vitamine shop and get some.  I'm traveling to Mexico on 5/4, and packing the RB might prove to be a little cumbersome.  Grin  I'm also dosing about every two weeks now with rc seeds in hopes of avoiding the cycle that seems to want to begin any day now, and I'm packing my seeds (please don't tell customs that), in a box of trail mix (suggested to me by a CH who is apparently well traveled).  If I get nabbed, will someone bail me out of the Mexican prison I'll find myself in   Undecided.

Just go, have a great trip, and bring back pics!

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #10 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 2:54am »

Thanks, Linda. Smiley I'm going to get some soon. I've seen a packet of those and it's a lot smaller than RBs are.
I just hope that 100mg of caffeine won't keep me up all night... laugh

Sanna
IP Logged

NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 12:19pm »

Sanna,

Why don't you try an injection to abort a ch prior to your trip??? That way you'll know what reaction you will have and it won't be so scarey  Wink

Good luck,
Mia
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #12 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 12:43pm »

on Apr 10th, 2006, 12:19pm, NotH20 wrote:
Sanna,

Why don't you try an injection to abort a ch prior to your trip??? That way you'll know what reaction you will have and it won't be so scarey  Wink

Good luck,
Mia

Mia,  
if I'll get a bad hit prior the trip, I will follow your advice... I must admit that I hate needles more than nearly anything, so has been fabulous that RB works for my ch (and has no horrible side effects). A friend of mine is a trained nurse and she promised to inject imitrex for me when she's around me when I get hit.  

The hits have been mild during the last few days, so I hope that the beast would take a vacation, too! Well, girl can always dream! Wink

Best wishes & PFdays,
Sanna
IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 3:05am »

The trip to Prague went very well, ch-wise. I needed Red Bull only once. Smiley I bought a packet of caffeine tablets and Vicks red energy- tablets, which contain caffeine, taurine and guarana. When I felt mild symptoms coming, I took few Vicks and it went away. I didn't need maxalt or imitrex, which was great. I did buy two cans of local energy drinks, which we very cheap. I hope that they work well too... Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss